Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

My planned PC build

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by bdog422, Aug 14, 2013

1. May 5, 2013
    I am open to constructive criticism on my build and if you can think of some things that would do better please tell. By the way I'm trying to stay under 1100$

My Case- in win maelstrom black secc
    Hard Drive- Toshiba 2 TB
    Motherboard- gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud3
    Processor- amd fx-8150 Zambezi 3.6 ghz am3+ socket 125w Eight core
    Video Card- sparkle 700005 GeForce gt 630 4gb 128 bit
    Ram- 4 sticks of ddr3 1866 4gb a piece
    PSU- corsair hx750 750w
    Optical drive- Samsung dvd-rom
    After Marker CPU Fan- enermax ets-t40-bk
  2. Nov 17, 2012
    For $1,100 USD? No way... Could get something much better. If you want to go AMD, get the FX-8350. If you want a cheapish price GPU get the ATI 7870 or 7850!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Feb 27, 2012
      ~Why do you need 16GB of RAM? I'd go 8GB.
      ~Enermax is a ripoff of a Cooler Master Hyper 212, get the Hyper 212 instead.
      ~Get something better than a 630, it's a shitty low-profile single slot card with almost no gaming power, or any power at all, unless you're looking to play farmville or something.
      ~Get a Western Digital hard drive, Toshiba won't last you very long.

This is a terrible build so far. You need to do some research and read reviews on these parts.

EDIT: Also, i'd go with an 1155 build with a Quad Core for the same price... It will outperform your AMD by far. Also, your game won't even take advantage of no 8 cores, it wont even take advantage of 4 most likely.
    • Jul 23, 2012
      Use this site, www.pcpartpicker.com
      I highly encourage you to research your parts before buying them.
      For starters, your case seems like an alright choice, but always look into air flow before aesthetics, air flow is important when it comes to cooling especially if you live in warmer parts of the world.
      I wouldn't recommend a Toshiba hard drive, look into Western Digital, Seagate, or Samsung Spinpoints.
      I've never really used AMD CPU's, so I can't give my opinion over them. Same goes for AMD chipset motherboards.
      As for video cards: The GT630 is more of a budget card you'd see in a prebuilt build from Best Buy or something. The 7850 is a great quality card, or if you're into Nvidia stuff, look at the 660 Ti.
      The power supply is alright, but if you're not gonna SLI / Crossfire, drop it down to a 650w. You'll be alright with that and it gives you some room for overclocking.
      Optical drives are meh, a 20 dollar one will work just fine.
      Personally for CPU cooling, I have a Hyper 212 Evo. It's served me well in this high heat, and it's like 10 dollars cheaper.
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Jul 14, 2010
        With that budget you really should consider getting a SSD. Solid State Drives are so much faster than HD's, I will never go back to using only a hard drive. I'd recommend you throw in atleast 128 gb for windows/fav games, or 256-512 if u want more space that's a hundred times faster than a HD.

Def go intel cpu with that budget

And a 7870 or 660 ti or 760 will do you good. Hell 7950 maybe if you are into gaming heavy.

Ram 8 Gb will do you fine. Pretty much what they said, but do your own research into prices and which manufactuer u'd prefer (ex: XFX vs EVGA vs Gigabyte vs MSI, etc).

:I used doctors website, and for 1000 I made this:
        You can change case, and squeeze more performance up to $1100, or get a new mouse and keyboard, etc.
        PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1s8dB
        Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1s8dB/by_merchant/
        Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1s8dB/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ Newegg)
        CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
        Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.98 @ Outlet PC)
        Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($60.99 @ Newegg)
        Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($124.99 @ NCIX US)
        Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
        Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($243.98 @ Newegg)
        Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
        Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($57.99 @ Microcenter)
        Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
        Total: $995.86
        (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
        (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-15 00:48 EDT-0400)

Making those all a same website dealer like newegg changes price ~$50
        PeNguiN, Aug 14, 2013 Last edited by PeNguiN, Aug 14, 2013
      • Dec 6, 2011
        a4uo7WF

If you live near a Microcenter, they sell 3570ks and 4670ks in bundles with motherboards, RAM, and SSDs and you literally save hundreds of dollars.

Prices change so much it's almost impossible to always have a perfect build.

Here's the general layout:

Microcenter for CPUs/Motherboards (and RAM/SSDs if they have the deals going)

Newegg for everything besides cases (most of the time)

Amazon for cases because free shipping

NCIX.us for nothing because they usually don't have good deals. NCIX is for Canada shoppers most of the time anyways

What to get breakdown:

CPU: Going for cheapo budget ~$500-600 build? AMD, but best price/performance will always be the 2500k and it's successors. (2500k -> 3570k -> 4670k)

Mobo: ASRock came out of nowhere and destroyed everything with their budget board that has all the gadgets and gizmos as an Asus board does minus the branding name. SLI/crossfire capable extreme3 board for ~$130 or $90-100 @ Microcenter. Want more than 2 SATA III ports? Grab Extreme4 for a couple bucks more. No other board beats these deals.

RAM: RAM is RAM, grab the cheapest with a heatsink, even LP works. G.SKILL, Corsair, PNY, Mushkin, TEAM, GEIL, ADATA, Patriot, Kingston, Crucial.

GPU: AMD this time around because Nvidia won't stop fucking refreshing their architecture, they're getting nowhere. AMD is ahead in terms of their drivers, and you can get 75-80% a GTX 780's power for almost half the cost with a 7970, and so on. Grab a 7950 for best price/performance, they're only $250. Crossfire down the road when they drop in price when 8000 series releases, then you'll be able to run most or all games maxed @ 1080p for 2-3 years easy. Also, there is no $250 Nvidia card with 3GB memory, so pretty much makes the choice for you. No limitations for years.

PSU: Only time to worry about brand name because one bad PSU can ruin everything it's connected to in your computer (everything obviously). Corsair is rock solid, TX series is cheap. If you plan on saving money in the future when you upgrade your GPU and go with crossfire/SLI, be sure to grab a PSU with headroom so you don't have to buy another. Even A Rosewill Bronze Series 1000W dips down to $100-$110 every once in a while and is worth buying.

SSD: Your top 2 SSDs you should be looking at are Samsung 840 and Corsair Force Series GS based on speed and rock solid reliability, I wouldn't look for anything beyond these. Plextor may also be used.

HDD: Seagate has 3TB HDDs for $120-$130 on Newegg every damn newsletter they email. No reason to buy a WD for $50 more.

CPU Cooler: Air if you don't mind noise or a hot CPU, closed loop coolers if you want the best. ~$25 for air, ~$90 for DECENT closed loop. That's the most basic and easy comparison you'll get.

Case: Cooler Master/Corsair/Antec/NZXT/Thermaltake/Rosewill/Silverstone(ehh... only some) are the ones you want to look for.

It is possible to have a $1,000 build with a 3570k/4670k, crossfire/SLI motherboard, an SSD, AND a 7950, you just need to look at the right stuff. My OCD is making me reply to this, I was mortified at the things suggested so I had to help O.o
        Brett, Aug 14, 2013 Last edited by Brett, Aug 14, 2013
      • Mar 12, 2008
        I have the same motherboard as you. Gigabyte (IMO) makes a good motherboard. Everything seems like it's in a good spot, i've yet to have any trouble with mine too.

For the RAM however, 8 gigs is plenty depending what you're using it for, and you can shave off ~$80 by ditching the other 8 gigs. I have two sticks of corsair. I *think* these are the right ones, I could be wrong and they could be the cheaper variant. If you're going for higher speeds you might not notice very much unless you're planning to make an enthusiast overclock build later on.

My total build cost came out to ~$1200 with savings (not including shipping)
        Taters, Aug 14, 2013 Last edited by Taters, Aug 14, 2013
      • Jun 11, 2012

To be honest, I rarely shop there either since Newegg Canada not only delivers from their Canadian distribution, but if they're out of stock they overnight it from their American one so huzzah. And NCiX rarely has any good deal.

As said try a little bit. A good combo for PC and GPU is Intel CPU and AMD GPU. With how this new generation is coming along, you will want to invest in a AMD, possibly 79** or a 8000 series

Pair a 128GB SSD with a 1 TB 7200 RPM drive. And if you have money left over, go the full 2TB you want.

Ram is ram but Kingston RAM are the most durable I've graced myself since DDR1. You can never go wrong with Kingston. If you have money left over and you've already spend it on SSD, go the 16GB since I'm on a 16GB and can go 6.7 to 7.3 on some usage of heavy media processing or high graphics gaming.

www.pcpartpicker.com Can suggest to you some combo that might be at sell on some vendors places. Coupons, MIR, and a nice Chianti that goes well with that Wine.

Happy Building!
      • May 5, 2013
        Thanks for all the suggestions guys. :mean:
      • Dec 6, 2011
        If you have any further questions, you can always add me on Steam. I don't mind helping you out with anything at all.
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Jun 23, 2010
        • Feb 27, 2012
          Just please for the love of god, make sure he doesn't get that CPU cooler or Graphics card.