Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

My thoughts on Black Mesa Source so far

Discussion in Gaming started by Tony the Tiger!! :D, Sep 15, 2012

1. Feb 27, 2012
    Right away, installation time was horrid. Took forever. I was happy when it finally had finished. Started it up and I was impressed with the background. The detail was amazing. So I setup my graphics settings, controls, all that stuff, then launched a game. That long ass intro was amazing. Everything looked gorgeous. When you get to the destination off of the train, I was impressed by the lighting and reflections. Blowing up that casserole in the microwave was funny. Then there was an achievement for handing the scientist in the washroom a roll of toilet paper. I thought that was pretty funny too. The active test chamber looked pretty cool. Those orange electrical beams looked cool. The zombies are also pretty well done. The levels aren't exactly the same, but pretty close. You don't get the crowbar when you are supposed to which kind of irritated me because the officer just wouldn't die from the zombies and headcrabs. The houndeyes look really cool, especially when they are charging up. The light blue glow on the power cells for you armor look sick. I think the vortigaunts charge and attack way too fast. It has various bugs, but they are to be expected. The blood effects that land on your weapon after hitting an enemy are cool.

And now, some screenshots:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Just the eye candy alone makes me hard. I recommend this to all of you. My dislikes are only minor problems :razz:
  2. Nov 11, 2011
    If you have an SSD, installation time isn't bad at all. My only gripe are the FPS rates in certain maps. Other than that, the game is amazing.
  3. Jul 16, 2012
    HL and HL2 gave me major headaches. I will never have Black Mesa. : /
  4. May 14, 2011
  5. Aug 18, 2006
    Black Mesa is fucking amazing. It extremely well done. It feels like Valve made it, not some mod team...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Jan 21, 2011
      Unfinished product. Do not want.

JK, this mod is fantastic.
    • May 27, 2008
    • Feb 27, 2012
      My face when that glitch was in the original game as well xD That is, if it's the spot i think it is near the beginning of the game, right after you see your first couple houndeyes.
    • Dec 6, 2011
    • May 27, 2008
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • May 15, 2011
        I don't know about the reasons you got it, but I was sold when I got an achievement for giving a guy toilet paper. Made my day.
        • Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Apr 9, 2007
          Just finished it. My save file half way through became corrupt :neutral: So a friend helped me out (luckily he had the map I was on). Loved the game, got a bit confused at times, but that's nothing normal with these... lol.
        • Feb 27, 2012
          Well, older games had tons of secrets and puzzles. That's what I dislike about a lot of newer games. The original was more confusing at times than this version of it. Or maybe its just because i've played the original so many times i've lost count :grin:
        • Mar 12, 2008
          Here's a few sceenshots of my endeavors so far.

How to shoot a headcrab behind you - Black Mesa Security Training Manual Entry #3

[IMG]

I hit a taco with a crowbar. It bled.

[IMG]

DOES. NOT. COMPUTE. RRRRR-RRRRRR-RRRRRR BBBZZZZOP.

[IMG]

He needed paper.

[IMG]
          • Funny Funny x 3
          • Like Like x 2
          • Jan 21, 2011
            fucker landed face down..
            • Like Like x 2
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Useful Useful x 1
            • Mar 12, 2008
              Informative post to those that might want to download it:

The mirrors may or may not work. I tried the first available ones, when i tried to extract files, it wouldn't let me.

I used the torrent option and used the installer it (Black Mesa) came with, works wonderfully. Just a heads up if anyone is getting frustrated with downloading it.
            • May 14, 2011
              I want to play the original first to be more amazed by black mesa. :smile:
            • Apr 9, 2012

I played the original one over 10 times? I think it takes like 20+ houres to finish if you don't count the next speedrun in mind:

via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk4kX9WEcZA

Furthermore I recently started Black Mesa, and so far it's amazing... How they used all the details of the Source Engine to make it look like the modern standard graphics is amazing. There are indeed bugs, but not vital ones (apart from Seeker's nodraw glitch)
            • May 12, 2012
            • May 14, 2011