Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Name stealer

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by JorisCeoen, May 26, 2013

1. Apr 9, 2012

Hello guys, so apparantly someone was eager to use my name and I find this pretty annoying. Is there any way to report him or something or is this totally legal?

I believe in Coincidence but he usually goes under another name and I have actually no idea who this guy is. I messaged him but he doesn't respond. Removing him doesn ot solve it because I simply don't want him to go under my name.
  2. Jan 11, 2012
    Well, everyone is free to choose his name in Steam, there is no copyright thingy.
    AFAIK it gets only problematic when someone says he's admin when he's not.
    (As always correct me if this is wrong)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Feb 3, 2012
      I guess say if you were an admin and someone had the same name as you then it would be impersonating.
    • Jul 14, 2010
      If he causes any trouble, it'll be his steam ID not yours that gets it. If he's legitly using the name without intending to troll then there's really nothing to do about it. We get plenty of double players on the server a lot.
    • Apr 9, 2012
      I know, but Joris Ceoen stands as my name everywhere, and I'm the only person in the world that has this name as it's my real name. I have it on GB, my own site, Youtube, PlagueFest, Steam and so on
    • Jan 11, 2012
      Yeah, no. I am pretty sure your name exists 10 times +. There are 7 billion people you know.
      You can go try to get a copyright for it.
    • Oct 29, 2010
      As Satsukii touched on in his initial post, simply sharing a name != impersonation. Until the player starts pretending to actually be an admin, there would be no infraction of the rule.

-Relevant to the thread-
      If the player is simply using the name and that's the extent of it, I really don't see how we could reasonably do anything. However, if the player is intentionally acting out trying to get others to believe it's you, I don't see why we couldn't treat this like any other trolling/harassment case.
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Apr 1, 2012
        yea, it's kinda bad to get attached too much to something, even your online identity :S.

heck, I'll probably adopt a new online identity soon.

for now, not much you can do unless he's gaining privileges or internetz points from "adopting" your name.
      • Apr 9, 2012
        Ok so he apparantly didn't speak English for a word and only Polish, so I had to use Google Translator. He writed me back saying that I'm a whore (Kurwa or something) and that I finally spoke Polish, trololol. I wrote him kindly back that if he tried to impersonate me he could get banned from Steam. He has immediatly changed his name, so it's all good now.

I really don't see why the heck he even did that to be honest, I don't know him at ALL.

Thanks for all the information guys, makes it clear for me in the future. Who would want to be named JorisCeoen in the first place lolz
        • Like Like x 1
        • May 31, 2012

I agree with you. This isn't just an online name so it's a large representation of you. Glad you were able to resolve the problem.