Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Nano Technology

Discussion in In The News started by Brovalone, Dec 29, 2014

1. Feb 8, 2013
    I wonder how they make 50nm bots. That sounds hard.
  2. May 31, 2012
    I'm not a big fan of calling it "robots" because it misleads people. He briefly explains (5:44) the strategy they are using for their project: DNA Origami. Programming it (8:22) is not actually computer programming, it is using different states of the "nanobot" based on it's environment.
  3. Jul 20, 2010
    I can't wait till we can use this in military applications on a large scale because then we'll see the research and abilities jump by leaps and bounds.
  4. Apr 9, 2012
    Crytek nanosuit preordered on Amazon today!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Oct 25, 2012

I'm not saying that I don't see the applications of these nano bots but I have to step back and think..........what if some hacker breaks the code and forces the nano bots to do something they weren't meant to do such as attacking your heart or your brain
    • Jun 20, 2013
      What stops a doctor from giving you a lethal dose of anything in the hospital?
    • Oct 25, 2012

nothing really lol
    • May 31, 2012
    • Jun 20, 2013
      That's exactly my point. And besides that the technology you would need to do such a thing is a pretty big buffer.

On another note i don't see the pharma companies taking this new technology very well. It means the end of normal dosages. You can use medicines in much smaller quantities with these nano "bots".
      It's going to be similar to the whole medical marijuana tinctures used to lul epileptic seizures(and many other illnesses). Medical scientists down play it because it means the end of toxic epilepsy medicines that are so profitable.

Edit: Yes i smoke weed lets get that out of the way now.
    • May 31, 2012
      Plus - as I was saying earlier - what he is saying is very misleading. These aren't little robots or anything like that; it's still DNA that has been "folded" or "shaped" using the DNA Origami techniques. They can't be controlled with computers or anything, and they aren't electronics either. You don't "program" them like a computer, you predict their states (represented as "on" or "off") based on their shapes and environment.
    • Jul 20, 2010
      ^ That might be true with the project that guy is talking about, but I bet you the DoD and DARPA are working on nano-machines that can be implanted into a person's body to regulate their emotions, and bodily functions. It has a lot of military uses that they'd like to have. For example Soldier A is shot and going into shock, the nano-machines could monitor his vitals and make necessary adjustments to the body to help the soldier overcome the shock.