Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Need a good custom compiler due to an issue with my laptop

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Super Mario, Jun 9, 2013

1. Oct 17, 2011
    I had this issue with my laptop for 2 weeks and i am planning on getting a new pc when i save up more money.

I need help from anyone that uses a custom compiler where it doesn't heat up my computer. My laptop shuts off onthe second i start using the sdk compiler due to the heat up it causes. The motherboard and fan are both the problems and it costs a lot of money to replace them. It even shuts off a while after playing video games.

Again, please provide me with any good fast custom compiler other than valve batch compile tool( cause it fucks up the whole lightmap scale) that never heats up the laptop.
  2. Feb 3, 2012
    I remember having the same problem. I never really found a solution because I ended up replacing it.
  3. Feb 27, 2012
    If you want it to compile fast, it's going to heat up your laptop, since it maxes out your CPU usage. When your CPU maxes out, it gets hot. Really hot.

So, until you fix that, you might need a new computer. I don't even know of any custom map compilers, but i don't think it would solve your issue anyway, since it would be most likely to max out your CPU as well.
  4. Oct 17, 2011
    i would use any compiler dude no matter how long it takes as long as it don't heat my laptop. I worked for 2 hours on my ze map yesterday ad i really need to try it out.
  5. Feb 27, 2012
    What i'm saying is, is that it won't matter, because they are all very CPU intensive. But you could try this one.

6. Nov 11, 2011
    Mario, it may not just be your laptop overheating. It might be that your motherboard is faulty with bad capacitors. Instead of beating around the bush, first try to open the laptop case, clean the CPU heatsink and GPU heatsink (preferably with this) and apply a new thermal compound. Also clean your fans and surrounding areas with a can of compressed air. Also inspect your motherboard for capacitors that might look burned or bent which might indicate a faulty motherboard. If you don't see anything, put the laptop back together and run the compiler. With a good thermal compound, you can see heat reduction upwards of 20° C.
  7. Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, i cleaned al my laptop last week. It is an issue with the motherboard and it will cost me 300 dollars to fix. They will need to change the whole motherboard because it is messed up and all burnt. Thanks for the idea tho.

Never use that dude. The whole map will compile with a shit light map scale and it will all look HD. I mentioned it in my first post. Thanks for help.
  8. Nov 11, 2011
    I want to take a wild stab and say you have a Toshiba laptop? or a Dell? And yeah, you're better off investing in a new gaming laptop, keep an eye out on Slickdeals.net for good gaming laptops, especially with Father's Day around the corner.
  9. Feb 27, 2012

I used it once or twice, and i didn't have a problem with it... maybe fiddle with the settings a little?
  10. Oct 17, 2011
    I have a sony viao laptop that's almost 4 years old. I spent one hour on cleaning the fan last week. It's not laggy anymore but the shut off thing is a problem. I might just save up for a cheap pc for valve games only that will cost me about 650$ instead of an expensive laptop or wait for the ps4 to come out :grin:
    Again, thanks for the help.
  11. Mar 26, 2009
    There are no 3rd party compile tools for Source, like there are for HL1. All of those batch compilers still use the default Valve compile tools.

Many years ago there was an effort to start a custom Source compiler called CST Compile tools, but it was abandoned after a few versions and really didn't make much progress other than fixing radiosity color issues.