Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Need a good router

Discussion in Networking started by Enemy Below, Dec 7, 2012

1. Mar 1, 2012
    So, I'm in need of a good router. I need it to have 4 wired ports, and all of the wireless bands. Price isn't too much of an issue, but I'm not looking to drop an insane amount of money on it either. I'm mostly looking for recommendations/testimonials.

2. Jun 11, 2012
    Anything that is compatible with dd_wrt or tomatousb. Routers with gigabit transfer is great to have if you do file transfer between PCs (5gb is transferred fast, FAST I SAY). For 80$ you can get a super deluxe model but it depends on your budget.

I would recommend wrt54g for no gigabit transfer and linksys e4200 v1 for gigabit support. They are the most stable, and super sweet to use, routers and are compatible with open source firmware out there and don't cost much.

If you want bell and whistle, Asus Diamond is nice to look at it but can't say anything about performance.
  3. Dec 6, 2011
  4. Mar 26, 2011
    Yes Linksys is a good Router to buy.

EDIT: My dads old router we have that for 7yrs and its dieing so we buy a new one
  5. Dec 19, 2008
    @Brett I have the same router
  6. Mar 1, 2012
  7. Jan 12, 2012
    Yeah enemy You but that router real hard hmmmm "is joking btw" . And you should just pony up and buy it rarely goes on sale
  8. Feb 21, 2007
    That router is outdated Brett. At least get a 802.11n router. I have this one, and it does quite well, and is faster wireless (over my local network) than 802.11g was. Although it is single band. I would recommend getting a dual-band wireless-n router such as this one. If you have a dual band wireless card/receiver, they will operate at 2.4 and 5ghz frequencies, allowing for higher thoroughput and less latency in games if someone else is using the wireless at the same time. The router I linked does not have gigabit, which, as previously suggested, you should get if you do a lot of LAN transfers or gaming.
    • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
    • Dec 6, 2011
      @Enemy Below I'd go with what Retslag linked. I know the Linksys one I linked is fine for mild internet speeds, but yea, it's pretty outdated lol.
      • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
      • Nov 15, 2011
        I just sold that exact same router Brett for like $12.50 on eBay. I would tell you to buy it from that channel versus the $49 price tag on newegg
        • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
        • Apr 9, 2007
          lol. Anything above 6Mb/s and the router will die (sadly), it has no hardware switching or anything.

I have the RT-N16, bought it for $50CAD like two years ago... However, it's only 2.4ghz for Wireless, and I'm also having stability problems with wireless clients on it. @secprotocol probably has more info on better dual band products.
        • Dec 30, 2006
          You would tag me.......

I'm still running my E3000 at two households. One is running stock and my personal one is running tomato. If you're going to get a router, i strongly recommend a 3rd party firmware. It gives you more options and its more optimized (i think) when compared to stock. That's the first thing I look at. Next would be the reviews in terms of build quality and stuff. Then price. I would rather invest some money into a good one than to keep purchasing one after another.

Honestly I haven't been up to date with the newest routers. Check some out but the criteria I used is the same steps I listed above.

Btw, I don't recommend the e3000 even if you can get it cheaper/refurbished. They love to overheat if you torture them.
        • Jun 11, 2012
          I have a dual band router and still can't see the gain. It may be nice to offered it but you are not actual hitting anything better than single band one. In terms of WRT160N if you don't need gigabit transfer they are fantastic. I just moved mine (after using for 3 years) to make it into a Access Point and bought a gigabit router to be used as my primary.
          Also you have a choice to use tomato firmware on the WRT160N (not many are supported right now so that's a plus). They don't overheat so you can have them running for a long time. They are however a slight bit flimsy to the touch as in you can press on the top and feel it go down, but it's not a deal breaker.
          • Informative Informative x 1