Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Need a recommendation for a "Gaming" Headphones

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Skiptron, Jul 12, 2013

1. Jun 23, 2010
    Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new "gaming" headset/headphones that is under $120ish. I'm not big on audio, so I don't wanna spend that much, but I do want a high quality product.

Uses:
    • Gaming (Mainly)
    • Music (25%)
    • Movies (25%)
    I was looking at the Logitech G35 or the G930. The thing is, I don't know if I want to get a 3.5mm headset/headphones or a USB one.
    What do you guys think would be a great "gaming" headset/headphones for me?
    Thanks!

Edit: I'm willing to cash out a bit more, if I can get a really good set up going. $250ish max.

Edit 2: I decided to go with a nice headphone w/ attachable/external mic setup instead of a "gaming headset". I just wanna make it clear.
    Skiptron, Jul 12, 2013 Last edited by Skiptron, Jul 13, 2013
  2. Feb 3, 2012
  3. Jun 23, 2010
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Jul 8, 2012

Very clear audio (bass, mids, highs) and they were $70. Best thing was they worked for consoles too if you needed.
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Then don't expect a response from taters.
    • Jul 8, 2012
    • Dec 6, 2011

Might as well buy a Xbox 360 and Call of Duty while you're at it!

I own the G930's. They're quite amazing, very lightweight and excellent sound. I only dislike the fact that the Logitech drivers fuck with my sound settings and cause me a hassle every once in a while. This is most likely something conflicting with my Logitech software though, as nobody else with them have had this problem. I think @Peter and one or two other people have this headset too.
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Feb 3, 2012
        • Funny Funny x 2
        • Mar 12, 2008
          Something I always say.

sajak is a

Get these: http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-GameCom-780-Surround-Headset/dp/B00B1KJK22/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373658677&sr=8-1&keywords=gamecom headset

I have these right now and they're pretty rockin. I got them around $50 at the time and the bonus is the ear-cups twist out so they can lay flat pseudo-speaker mode. They also have a button on the side for dolby something majigger (sound boost and echoey, great for movies/music or watching anime, not so much on mumble when everyone is being loud.) and you can mute your mic with a switch on the back of the left earcup. It even has a volume up/down on the same side too. My only gripe is it seems the cups are a little too small for me, and it cramps my ears with long use. It might just be that my ears are a little too big. Solid headset though, one of the better ones i've owned.

EDIT: Personally, I'd go with USB. That's also because I have like 9 USB ports on my rig.

HAF-X yo. Also plugged into a USB 4.0 port on my Gigabyte mobo. Don't know if that makes any difference but i'm going to pretend it does until I find out for real.
          • Like Like x 1
            Taters, Jul 12, 2013 Last edited by Taters, Jul 12, 2013
          • Sep 18, 2011
            I had those, and I was quite disappointed in the lack of audio quality. Wonder if I got a faulty model.
          • Mar 19, 2011
            Shit @Taters those were the ones I was gonna recommend, I don't have a pair but I've heard nothing but good praise from them even from an audiophile. My Logitech G35s broke and these are definitely the ones I will be purchasing when I have the money.

Sajak I would definitely look into the Plantronics, I had G35s audio quality was decent probably the same as the G930s.

Edit: If you want to look at more options, maybe look into the Steelseries Siberia v2 Headsets, they seem like another solid purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-S...660361&sr=8-1&keywords=steelseries siberia v2
            N B K, Jul 12, 2013 Last edited by N B K, Jul 12, 2013
          • Oct 29, 2010
            I'm currently using a Sennheiser headset and I love it, but it was in the $250 range.

When I upgrade next, I was planning on going with a Modmic and a nice pair of headphones instead of a headset, might be something you could look into.
            • Like Like x 2
            • May 14, 2011
              The G930s are wireless. I'm sure there is definitely a difference in quality between wired and wireless.
            • Jun 23, 2010
              Added a new budget, since I just want to get a really good set up, since I probably won't upgrade it for a while :razz:
            • Mar 12, 2008
              They're an excellent mid-range set. If they break I won't feel too bad about it. I'd never forgive myself if I had a $200+ pair that broke. I'd have to gut and set myself on fire.
            • Mar 19, 2011
              Well I think it depends on your personal preferences, I thought about going with the Headphones + Mod mic setup but after learning that I would need a sound card that emulates virtual surround it didn't seem worth it.

If you wanted a more immersive music + movie experience then that is probably a solid set up to go with, but if you needed Surround gaming for FPS gaming then it might not be for you.
            • May 12, 2007
              I think that the official Playstation Headphones are great, I got some for my PS3, they have 7.1 sound and the bass is amazing, they come with a wireless dongle and I stopped using it for my ps3 and now they are permanently attached to my pc, easy to recharge and the mic can extend out, quick mute as well, the price is only $99.99 and I will never get another headset again, until these break at least. I had turtle beaches but after about an hour they hurt my ears the Playstation headphones havent yet ,even after 6+ hours of gaming.

http://store.sony.com/p/PS3-Wireles...ation-Add-Ons-Earphones-Headset/en/p/PS398085
            • Jun 23, 2010
              Thanks for the recommendation everyone. I see some really good headset (I did some reviews while on break at work.). After thinking about it, I think its better if I get a headphone, separated mic, and Sound card/DAC, since I don't plan to upgrade any time soon after I get the new set up. So what can I get for $200ish max?
            • Jul 23, 2012
              Sound cards are mainly for people who do audio production and stuff, so unless you're a DJ or anything close to that, I wouldn't recommend a sound card.
              I personally sport a Sennheiser HD598 because fuck the police. I bought a 15 dollar mic and it has decent quality.