Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Need advice from x360/PS3 owners about refurbished consoles! (Buying both of them!)

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Brett, Oct 11, 2013

1. Dec 6, 2011
    First I want to say, I am getting a Xbox 360 and PS3 regardless of the next-gen console release date (I'm not getting a Xbone or PS4.... for now). This is for personal modding and experience with hardware and software that I want to work with.

Anyways, I've found amazing deals on both of them from Gamestop, and I can't believe this but I might actually get both for under $400 (including an add-on hard drive for the 360).

Xbox 360 (S) $119.99: http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/co...top-premium-refurbished/107559#productDetails

HDD add-on (I'd get my own 2.5in 9.5mm SATA drive but it'd wouldn't be worth it in the end since 320GB is all I need) http://www.amazon.com/320GB-Hard-Drive-Internal-Black/dp/B008FHL56S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381475420&sr=8-1&keywords=xbox 360 hard drive

PS3 $149.99: http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/consoles/playstation-3-500gb-supercharged-refurbished/90560

I'm extremely iffy on refurbished items and I wanted your opinion/thoughts on these consoles. I thought that this would be the best time to buy since they're trying to empty the stock and they've just finished making the rest of the consoles not too long ago. Since next-gen consoles are coming out, I figured they are going to get rid of them all here and now while they can. What do you guys think? Should I wait? Should I buy now? Is refurbished a bad idea? Thoughts please!
    • Like Like x 1
      Brett, Oct 11, 2013 Last edited by Brett, Oct 11, 2013
    • Nov 17, 2012
      I own a PS3 but I don't use it much so I can't comment on the games etc.

But pricing, generally companies will try get rid of the old Gen and stock the new one so there will be huge discounts. $120 and $150 for both consoles is extremely cheap anyways.

As for games, it's really up to you. Both consoles have their exclusives such as Halo for Xbox, Final Fantasy, Kingdom of Hearts etc. for PS3. It's a hard choice.

Refurbished is either a hit or a miss. Make sure you get a warranty from the company as their may be problems. My original Xbox and Nintendo were 2nd hand but worked well! Found old profiles etc. on them but they don't really matter. It's up to you really. Would you purchase a Car? Or buy one second hand. Just do some research and get warranty!

I suppose more opinions will be needed ^_^
      • Artistic Artistic x 1
      • Jan 12, 2012
        The Prices will only rise brett They make the price rise because they believe people will assume there at there cheapest point because of the new generation console systems -ps Forgive any spelling mistakes just woke up and i see you needed help.
      • Jun 11, 2012
        At this moment and the way we are moving to the next gen I would cold hardly press to not get a refurb unit either for PS3 and especially for X360. I am seeing deals on the GTA V PS3 bundle at 229$ so I would wait on it and you might even get another game with it for free. For X360 do not under any circumstance get a refurb unit, the old solder point issue units are the one that are getting refurb so you are not guaranteed to get a X360 that is the newer one with the heating issues fixed. If you are planning to use these units for the next year and more, get the newer units so you still have a year warranty on it and can still abuse it for more than 2 years. Refurb unit are "As is" sold, so it's a big risk.

So wait up, price are going down and Sony has announced that they are planning to support PS3 for the next 2 years due to how well it's selling. This is exactly what happened last gen when the PS3/X360 came out, the same amount of deals were there and the price were good. Since the new gen aren't at ridiculous prices like current gen was when it came out, 200$ and down is cold hardly possible. Black Friday might be the best time to get both new at 400$. I got my PS3 with Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us (2 weeks after it came out) for 230$ after taxes.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Feb 27, 2012
          Unless you can find a really good deal on either (like i did huehuehue) then i'd say just wait a little longer until the prices come down from PS4 and Xbone releases.

Also, for the sake of having a XB360 that lasts long enough, make sure it isn't the old one if you do go refurbished. They get a RRoD super often because of how terribly made and soldered it was. The most common was the CPU or GPU coming out of its socketbecause it wasn't held down properly. Also, the other issue is heat. When they were probably 2 or 3 years old, my friend Jordan had one. He got one of the new Tony Hawk games for it, and he could play it for like 15 minutes before his system would over heat. Older model has way too many issues that cause it to break down, so you for sure want a new one.

Also, if you get a PS3, make sure you get The Last Of Us, Heavy Rain, Red Dead Redemption (haven't played it, but a lot of my friends love that game, don't think any have disliked it), and Gran Turismo 5. Those are my favourite games for it. For Xbox, i don't think there's an exclusive or popular game that i've played on it that i really like (you can get Red Dead Redemption for that too) plus i've never really liked xbox, so i can't really comment on that.
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Dec 6, 2011
            There will be no warranty on these, I'll be opening them up on day one. For the PS3, I don't believe there could be many problems for it, most of the common console problems for it are just random. The x360 however, I feel I can fix it for any future problems. I was going to grab a little side intercooler, as well as change out the thermal paste on the heatsink with some of that sexy Arctic Silver paste. That should be enough since my room usually stays ~45-50F in the winter and 70F in the summer. I honestly doubt I'll be able to find a brand new PS3 and 360 Slim for under $400 total. Are you sure this refurbished idea isn't good? I mean, yeah I'm iffy on the Xbox 360 but since it's a newer model and has been fixed/looked over, I feel I should be all set. For the PS3, I don't see any problems since they don't really have overheating issues and whatnot.
            Post Merged, Oct 11, 2013
            Fucking fuck. The PS3 bundle went out of stock...
          • Dec 12, 2011
            I'm interested into this too, I am considering doing the same.
          • Dec 6, 2011
            I actually just bought the Xbox 360 Slim 4GB that came with Forza Motorsport 4 and an Intercooler for $120. I have 30 days to trade it in for another or 7 days to return without opening it up. So basically I'll just grind away on it for a few days before opening it up to make sure it's running great. I'm just disappointed that it's Used and not Refurbished. They had the PS3 bundle but that was used as well so I wasn't so inclined to get it. I'm going to see if the sale for it online goes back up so I can get it from there instead. I'll also be able to avoid the fucking annoying arrogant employees at GameStop. "LIKE OMG, MY HEART JUST STOPPED WHEN YOU SAID THAT YOU'RE GOING TO OPEN IT UP, LIKE OMG. I JUST ALWAYS HAVE TO HAVE THAT ORIGINAL FEELING BECAUSE THAT'S SO MUCH COOLER." "Yea if you want to return that you can't open it, and TRUST ME, WE KNOW if you open it or not. We'll look that thing 10 times over because WE'LL KNOW!"
          • Feb 1, 2011
            Well I was gonna say go with PS3 so we could play GTA5 but it looks like you already made your decision. 360 is tight too so I hope you enjoy it!
          • Dec 6, 2011
            I'm getting both =S But I won't be playing online anyways, this is solely for modding and personal experimentation with the hardware.
          • Feb 1, 2011
          • Jun 11, 2012
            I went to a gamestop here and bought a game in less than 5 minute, dude was pretty cool and noice. What is up with American stores huh.
          • Jun 23, 2010
            PS3. Why pay extra for internet when you're already paying for it?

Plus, PS3 comes with a Blu-Ray player, which is nice.
          • Dec 6, 2011
            I don't think people are reading this correctly O.o. I'm buying both consoles, or, I already bought the 360, I'm just hesitant on getting a used or refurbished PS3.
          • Jun 11, 2012
            Still saying you can get a new one if you wait. But your ADHGSFUYBGUBG got you tripping. If you are modding and taking it apart, then it doesn't matter, moment you open it then you not only void the warranty but leave yourself with a bricked unit.
          • Nov 11, 2011
            I got a 360 for free that had been thoroughly used and abused, never had issues with mine. Refurbs without extended warranty is an iffy, so 7/30 days is pretty much a big sold as-is. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just open it up, clean it out if it already hasn't and replace the thermal paste. You'll be screwed if you have a bad mobo with busted capacitors though, in which case I'll gladly send you the mobo off my 360.
          • Dec 12, 2011
            Went ahead and picked up a 360 yesterday from gamestop. $225 for the slim 250gb, $29 for 1 year warranty. Could have payed less on a private sale but wanted a warranty.
          • Feb 3, 2012
            I've never owned s PS3 before but I'll have to go with other people's opinions on it.
          • Dec 6, 2011
            Dude you should've ordered online, they're $120 + $45 for 320GB HDD from Amazon.