Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Need desktop, wat do

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Taters, May 5, 2012

1. Mar 12, 2008
    I would like to build a desktop that is better than the one i have (it's an HP, EVERYTHING is technically better i guess) instead of buying a laptop, and my budget is ~$700.

Only problem is, i don't know jack shit about building one. I know it's best to look and see what you want that suits your needs, but i'm sure if i did that on my own, it would turn up like some "Frakenstein" monster abomination. that, and i'm afraid what i buy won't be compatible (hell, i don't even know how to check), and i'll have wasted time and effort plugging together crap that doesn't work.

So, my plea is this: Can anyone recommend a build for me? I know there's tons of options available, but i just want this tower to run everything game-related. I'm saving my current tower for everything else that isn't steam.

As far as options go: I prefer performance over quality. I do not care for running "BF3 on all ultimate settings"/running "x at 900 fps"/overclocking, etc. I just want to be able to run current gen games without any trouble.

Any help on this matter would be excellent, and very greatly appreciated.

tl;dr can anyone recommend a good tower build, and I prefer performance OVER quality.
  2. Nov 6, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
    • Feb 9, 2012
      i also think quietly yell would happily offer to help you get started and show you how to build it (through webcam) as he has offered for me. Just try to contact him and im sure he'll help you put together a great comp.
    • Mar 12, 2008
      If you go with that build, look at some of the products, there's some -10 dollar promo codes, a freeshipping, I like it, except the 6870 is actually a 6850 :<
    • May 27, 2008
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Dec 30, 2006
        If you need help putting it together, let me know. I'm in Covina all the time.
      • Nov 11, 2011

Taters, this is my current setup (from an older thread). You will be around the 700$ mark if you don't need to buy an additional mouse/keyboard/monitor/non-stock CPU cooler:

EDIT: I also buy from Amazon... I used to be a Newegger until I realized how horrendous their policies were in everything. I buy anything and everything from Amazon, their customer service and policies are un-freaking-beatable.
      • Jan 10, 2009
        i can help too if you need me to :smile: just shoot me a pm.
      • Mar 26, 2012
        i5 2500K
        G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB RAM
        Antec 620C
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Dec 6, 2011
          The fuck? Newegg's policies and RMA support are amazing compared to Amazon... I have no clue what you're on, but it's messing with your head. o.O

@Taters I am your answer. Message me on steam or just ask me any questions on here, I will get your the best deal on errrr-thang. I stalk hardware prices 24/7.

Ohaidur, look a thread I made:http://plaguefest.com/threads/building-or-just-want-to-know-about-a-pc-click-here.10090/

Ohaidur, look a thread I made:http://plaguefest.com/threads/building-or-just-want-to-know-about-a-pc-click-here.10090/

Taken from my thread: "I'll give you a couple computer build ideas, but your thoughts may interfere. Newegg's DIY combo's are extremely cheap, and you save a nice chunk of cash.

or one of many ideas I came up with for a nice value build (still able to max out most games on <1650x1050, I maxed out a ton of games on my 6770 on 1920x1080 resolution...)

$600 Computer Build-
          Processor - AMD FX4100 Zambezi - $110
          Motherboard - ASRock 970 Extreme3 - $80
          Graphics Card - XFX 6870 1GB - $130
          Power Supply - SilverStone 600W - $70
          Hard Drive - Seagate 1TB 64MB Cache - $100
          Optical Drive - Asus DVD/CD Drive - $20
          Random Access Memory (RAM) - PNY XLR8 2x4GB $45
          Case - Rosewill Mid Tower Gaming Case - $50
          Two fans (for the side of the case) - $15

Add another $100 for Windows 7, or you can just head over to TPB (The Parrot Bay) where nice people give you legal, paid for copies for Windows 7.*
          *Let's hope you understand what I'm getting at.
          • Useful Useful x 1
            Brett, May 5, 2012 Last edited by Quietly Yell, May 5, 2012
          • Nov 11, 2011
            Nah, they suck. You must be on something. :secret: I've been buying from them since 2002'ish and I used to refer everyone to them... until I met Amazon.

1) Newegg's return policy is garbage. Even if it's a DOA product, you have to pay for the shipping.
            2) They take several days to "inquire" when something goes wrong.
            3) They don't price match (I think Amazon stopped recently as well).
            4) Their prices are not competitive... more like overpriced.
            5) I prefer Amazon's Prime membership benefits over Newegg's Shoprunner.
            6) The list goes on...

Here is an example of what happened once... I had bought my CPU but it was missing the case sticker. I chatted live with them and asked if they could send me a replacement sticker (I'm a sucker for case stickers). Instead, they decided to send me another new CPU and a pre-paid shipping label to send the other CPU back. That's called customer service.
          • Dec 6, 2011
            ORLY. Amazon I get shit items, shipping is always FedEx, who ALWAYS take 2+ days longer than Newegg. Newegg is always the lowest pricing, so there's no need for price matching. No need to even use a shipping service, I get my stuff in 2days always, most of the time the product is free shipping anyways. And they don't take several days to inquire, every support question, every RMA, is fixed instantly. All of your statements are wrong.
          • Nov 11, 2011
            None of what you have said makes any sense. Amazon uses shipping carriers that are closest to your location to save you time. I always got UPS and USPS. If you are a Prime member, you get guaranteed two day delivery. Just because YOU live near a Newegg warehouse and get it in less time, doesn't mean we all get the same service. Also, Amazon has the most competitve prices...Newegg doesn't. You can discount opinions but you can't discount statistical facts. And you say Amazon has shit items? What the hell is that supposed to mean anyways? They have the latest products with specials all the time. This is a classic textbook scenario of "I'm right because I said so." That doesn't work with anyone here so drop the die hard loyalty and try Amazon.
          • Dec 6, 2011
            Almost no computer hardware I've bought on Newegg has been cheaper on Amazon, which is why I stay with Newegg. And the warehouse I get my stuff from is usually NJ.
          • Jun 4, 2006
            this made more sense when used with kinetic game tutorials
          • Mar 12, 2008
            I prefer Newegg. I once bought a single stick 16gb flash drive, and it literally got to me the next day. They could have easily put my order off for later, but made sure i got what i needed.

I have experience using it, so i shouldn't have any problems ordering from em. Matter of fact, i think i live next to one of their warehouses. They offer the best service IMO, best pricing i have seen from a LOCAL company and i'd rather buy direct than thru amazon, without having to worry about hassle from them if something goes wrong.

Also @sajak please cut the crap. You are calling people out for being "fanboy", and you defend amazon's pricing/customer service just as hard. I would like if you kept your opinions on this matter to yourself, and if you can't offer any Good advice to further this discussion, I ask you to refrain from mucking up this help thread.

EDIT: I have read through your previous thread, as mentioned earlier @Quietly Yell. Im surprised they're still offering those prices as it's been more than a few months since you posted those. I will gather a "shopping list" and first visit my local Fry's for pricing and availability. If I can't get everything i need there, will move on to newegg. I just want this built as soon as possible.:waiting:
            Taters, May 5, 2012 Last edited by Taters, May 5, 2012
          • Dec 6, 2011
            Taters please make sure you looked at my first post and read my other thread. Not sure if tomorrow is a good time since I'm going to be busy all day, but possibly Monday I can go over with you parts/etc. and your pricing range as well as what you want to accomplish on Steam chat.

Also, yes, Newegg has a warehouse in L.A., Cali. Huge as fuck.
            [IMG]