Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Need Help Identifying Mystery Animal...

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Kosuki, Apr 11, 2012

1. Apr 14, 2011
    I feed birds and bees with a nectar plate. A plate with liquid nectar. Today when my honey bees were over I noticed a new bee. It was like nothing I had ever seen before. It was no bigger than a grain of rice. I got close to it with a good magnifying glass but I cant tell what kind it was. I have pictures but their on my phone and cant be uploaded. I have google searched the hell out of this using descriptions and key words and got no where. I dont think its a carpenter bee it seemed too small. Any ideas?
  2. Jan 7, 2009
    Can you provide a more detailed description? What color was it, did it have any unique coloration patterns, did it have an unusual flight pattern, did its eyes have an unusual shape?
  3. Apr 14, 2011
    Looks like a honey be but 1/5th the size same pattern as a honey bee, thats why i am so thrown off
  4. Dec 6, 2011
  5. Apr 14, 2011
    IDK but if I could send this phone picture, hey thats a good idea ^^ I cant upload it but i can fwd it to another phone. But ya if u see a grain of white rice its almost as big as that... yes big meaning it smaller then that.
  6. Jul 28, 2011
    [IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Feb 18, 2011
      if not that then
      An insect?
    • Jan 7, 2009
      • Apr 14, 2011
        Naa much smaller much smaller, grain of rice small lol
      • Jan 7, 2009
        Some of them are that small. Actually, I believe most are noticeably smaller than a honeybee. Aside from the size, though, is the general appearance similar?
      • Apr 14, 2011
        I contacted UC davis and here is the responce
        No i wont list my full name on here ^^

So now I must take my phone to dinner to bribe it to let me get the photo off ^^
      • Jul 19, 2011
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Jan 7, 2009
          Sweat bees were another one I had in mind, lol. I've seen them as small as a grain of rice (although the ones I usually see around home are an iridescent green).
          If you see this mini-bee again, try to watch how it flies. If it has a very jerky, stop-and-go flight pattern it's probably a hoverfly. If the flight is more smooth, like a regular bee or wasp, it's probably a sweat bee or another type of actual bee.
          • Agree Agree x 1