Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Need help in Video-Card upgrade

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by [pF] ghosted, Apr 6, 2013

1. Dec 7, 2012
    I need some help upgrading my video card with my historic desktop. I brought this desktop about 3-4 years ago and I am planing on keeping it. I already started a miner upgrade like a 500 watt power supply. This desktop was not intended to be a gaming system but still, I would like more improvement tours gaming. I never had a problem with playing games on my system but recently I played some zombie escape and my video card started to crap out on me. (Massive lag!) I was wondering if I could install a PCIE x16 2.0 video card over a regular PCIE x 16 slot?

Sincerely, ghosted:beer::bugeyes:
    System: HP Pavilion Elite m9426f
    Interested: Asus - GeForce GTX 550 Ti Graphic Card - 900 MHz Core - 1 GB GDDR5 SDRAM - PCI Express 2.0
    or HP - GeForce GTX 630 Graphic Card - 2 GB DDR3 SDRAM - PCI Express x16
    [pF] ghosted, Apr 6, 2013 Last edited by [pF] ghosted, Apr 6, 2013
  2. May 14, 2011
    Any gpu will crap out on zombie escape. Unless you're talking titans.
  3. Dec 7, 2012
    Ghost, you need to speak to me in English,please.( LMAO )You got me looking up your language in Wikipedia. My graphic card is lagging when I play Zombie Escape with full house. I was wondering if I could upgrade my graphic card with a PCIEx16 2.0 in a regular PCIEx16 slot.
  4. May 14, 2011
    titan = $1000 graphics card (The best graphics card there is)

When you run the CS:S benchmark in the main menu what sort of frames rates do you get?
  5. Dec 7, 2012
    Ghost, you need to speak to me in English,please.( LMAO )You got me looking up your language in Wikipedia. My graphic card is lagging when I play Zombie Escape with full house. I was wondering if I could upgrade my graphic card with a PCIEx16 2.0 in a regular PCIEx16 slot.
    Post Merged, Apr 6, 2013
    47fps
    Post Merged, Apr 6, 2013
    about 45-47fps
  6. May 14, 2011

How much do you want to spend on a graphics card upgrade?

I'm not sure about low range gpus so I'll just tag @Brett
  7. Dec 7, 2012
    Not much cause I have another PC being build for gaming. This PC is in my living room, part of my entertainment system but I game in the living room time to time. Look at my first post on the graphic cards that I am interested in and the system that I am working with. I think with what I am interested in, is already pushing the limit to the system capability's.
  8. Jan 11, 2012
    AFAIK you can't put a PCIe x16 2.0 on a normal x16. So you either have to find a PCIe x16 compatible GPU that can run it (what I doubt) or you have to upgrade your mobo.

Am I right that you run on a HD 3650?
  9. Dec 7, 2012
    Yes, HD3650! so what do you think about the HP GeForce GTX 630 Graphic Card - 2 GB DDR3 SDRAM - PCI Express x16. Do you think it can handle zombie escape maps with a full house?
  10. Jan 11, 2012
    Well it would run better but it has PCIe 2.0 too.
    Well wait, doesn't the HD3650 has 2.0 too? If so then I would see no problem in putting any card in it.

A little addition to your GPU's, the GTX 560Ti, It's ~100$ and it's pretty strong
  11. Dec 6, 2011
    First off, could you confirm that this is your desktop? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01570954#N85

To help find out more, go to My Computer and click on System Properties:
    Capture

If so, then you have a PCI-Express x16 1.0 slot. This probably won't limit your choices too much, you just can't go full out on a graphics card because it's only a 1.0 slot.

What resolution is your monitor?

Could you also confirm your specific 500W PSU that you bought?
    Post Merged, Apr 6, 2013
    2GB of Video RAM is pointless and not needed. I'll help you out more once I figure out your specs.

All PCI-e x16 is backwards compatible. 3.0 with 2.0, 2.0 with 1.0, etc.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Dec 7, 2012
      Yes, That is my system and I recently upgraded to 500watt PS.
    • Mar 12, 2008
      I heard the 7900 series of AMD outperformed titan in some ways and matched others.
    • Dec 7, 2012
      But due to my historic system with such limitations, it might not handle 7900 series or they dont make it for PCIEx16 1.0
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Could you please post me a screenshot of your System Properties?

Like so:
      Capture

Also, I asked what SPECIFIC power supply it is. Yes I know it's a 500W PSU, but that doesn't directly determine what GPU you can support. I need to know it's AMP output on the +12V rail.

If you cannot, at all, figure out the exact power supply you bought, or don't have the box for it, could you give me this information that's on the power supply itself? (you'll have to take the case off)
      Capture

Or better yet, take a picture, I need to know what's on the +12V rail. NOT the -12V.
      Post Merged, Apr 6, 2013
      As I said, PCI-e x16 is completely backwards compatible, it just wouldn't have enough bandwidth to run it at 100% of it's potential. So theoretically, you could put a Titan in your computer, as long as it fits and you have a powerful enough power supply.
    • Dec 7, 2012
      Brett, so what graphic card do you suggest for my historic system with a 500 watt PS? What do you think about the HP - GeForce GTX 630 Graphic Card - 2 GB DDR3 SDRAM - PCI Express x16?
      Post Merged, Apr 6, 2013
      ok...give me a feel mins.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      You're not reading what I'm trying to say to you. 2GB of Video RAM is useless and not needed. I'll help you out more on choosing a card once you give me the information I need.

Could you please give me the resolution of your monitor?
    • May 14, 2011
      Its worse than 2x crossfire 7970s in some cases yes.
    • Dec 7, 2012
      I thought it was a 500 watt but its 400 watts and I'm using a 46 inch TV for a monitor HD1080p. I'm lucky you made me check all these things...thanks[IMG][IMG]
    • Dec 6, 2011
      What model is your power supply...? Model? Name? Manufacturer? Anything? Do you still have the box/manual?