Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Need help to get lag to stop in CS:S also would like ideas on how to update my computer.

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Vincent, Jan 13, 2013

1. Jun 3, 2012
    Need help on ZE server in CS:S I get lag on random maps. Like I played for three maps and did not have problems. Then on the fourth map and after that I would be following everyone and for some reason I would be moving then get moved back randomly. It seems like I am lagging but not at the same time. I have put my setting on low and that helped a little. Also everything is up to date and i have a good internet signal. Also people should know I only have problems when I play maps not when I spectate them. So if I can get any pointers that would be good. Also it may be I need to update something on my computer. Like maybe my mother board or video card are not working with something.
    Processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400S CPU @ 2.50 GHz.
    Video Card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Ram is 16 GB
    Motherboard is ASUS P8B75-V
  2. Apr 9, 2007
    For what it's worth, you have a way better desktop then myself. If you could refine your definition of lag someone could probably help you. Is your CPU maxing out? Are you getting choke or loss? Any idea on frame rate?
  3. Dec 6, 2011
    Are you positive it's not your internet? It sounds like a connection problem. What is your average latency when you play?

You have decent hardware, so there's no need to update anything. Also, try running a CS:S match just by yourself, by creating your own. See if you get different FPS as to being on the server. I think it's net_graph 1 for FPS monitoring.

@Vincent If you could add me on Steam, I'd be glad to help you via PM, it'll make things much easier to communicate.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Jun 3, 2012
    • Jun 11, 2012
      As said, your CPU and GPU are better than the average. If you are able to run other games without a problem, CS:S should be fine. Look of others processes are running (Chrome typically likes to eat up resources for examples). I had Core 2 Duo with a 250 GTS up to last September and CS:S was mostly running in the upper 30 FPS.
    • Jul 14, 2010
      Sounds like a problem with wireless router or your adapter if you aren't wired in.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Jun 3, 2012
        Yeah I am thinking that has to be it then. i have had problems with it and I know I need to update my router or modem it seems. Since I am getting issues with internet connections randomly. I guess I will have to update my router when I get the money in two weeks. Thank you for the info thou. Ok so does anyone have a idea on what type of router I should try to get? I mean something that does not cost to much but could run like 4 computers off of it (two connected by cable and two wireless). I mean right now I have four bars on my signal in my room. But thank you for helping me out.
      • Jun 11, 2012
        Are you playing with a wireless connected PC? If yes that would diminishes and may causes the slow networking
      • Jun 3, 2012
        Yes I am but I am moving it closer in two weeks. I am going to to connect it by a wire then but I am running at 100 to 200 fps online and then it drops to 90 sometimes
        Post Merged, Jan 13, 2013
        yeah i am getting like 140 fps then it drops to 40 all of a sudden and my ping goes from 70 to like 90... so I am going to have to move my computer this weekend. Oh well at least you guys help me notice that. thank you very much.
      • Apr 12, 2012
        As long as your FPS is above 30 you shouldnt be lagging from poor/incorrectly configured hardware.

Do you play other games? Do they lag, or is it just HL2/CS:S? When you download a large file, does it 'hang' (pause or greatly slow down) for a second or two during the download?

Also - try turning on the command 'net_graph 1'. It will show a display in your lower right (by default). Look at the 'choke' and 'loss' part of it, and when you lag, see if they change from their normal values.
      • Jun 3, 2012
        Yeah I play other games and it does the same thing. Also the numbers change every time I lag. But I do play other games like wow. they hardly lag If they do lag it is when I am doing a raid or dungeon with a lot of people. I am thinking it has to be the internet. I will have to move my computer to my other room where it use to be and hook it back up.
      • Apr 12, 2012
        Yeah, if they change more than 10-20% during the slowdown its probably your internet connection (either from your PC to the router or from the router to your cable provider).
      • Nov 11, 2011
        It's your wireless connection. Place the router in a higher place and avoid placing it near CRT's, cordless phones, etc. You're experiencing a lot of dropped packets from your router/wnic. If it's a two antenna, place the antennas in a \____/ formation. Should help out somewhat. Let us know if any of our suggestions helped. :thumbsup:
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Apr 9, 2012
          4 computers, if they run at the same time you may very well receive connection problems both wireless and via cable... I wouldn't know how to fix it, but it might be nice to try out when only 1 computer (yours) is running and with no single progam running in the background.

Usually when my computer is being idle, there are only about 12-15 processions running in the background, all of which none have even notify-worthy impact on my PC (steam included, which is by then the 'heaviest' one). On many people their computers when you open taskbar, when being idle, they are having +50 and in very bad cases +100 processions running in the background, often having their CPU constantly being at 30-40% or higher...

You should try to optimize your PC if that's the case. Otherwise a new powerful router may be a good idea
        • Mar 12, 2008
          It helps to close chrome before you play CS:S. It takes up a good bit of memory that can be used for other shit.

[IMG]

And do what jerkjak said, put the router in a higher place. Multiple computers and even walls in between the computer and router cause packet loss. If your wireless card uses an antenna, point it straight up, and if it uses longer connected cords like mine does mount them as high up in the machine as possible for best reception.

I have a wireless modem and I keep ~3-4 bars and it's going through a ~15ft wall, and my door. Half is empty space.

(NOTE: Most of those are open tabs, as chrome logs those as separate pages. Less tabs and an open chrome won't lag as much as mine probably would.)
        • Nov 29, 2010
          CSS is a little wonky, try setting yourself to single core processing on your video options.
        • Aug 18, 2006
          Theoretically, that should reduce performance... But you never know.
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Apr 9, 2007
            I learned that Steam uses 400MB~ of memory in "normal mode". Small mode kills CEF resulting in about 10x less memory being consumed.
          • May 12, 2012
            [IMG]
          • Nov 11, 2011
            Since he didn't mention if he had cable or DSL... this picture may or may not be his setup. I remember the good old days of filters.