Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Need help with antlion animation

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Super Mario, Jun 30, 2012

1. Oct 17, 2011
    Hello, so far I have been working on an antlion animation that I might use in my first ze map. I already set up the path_tracks and the animations for the antlion as how it starts. I see in map like predator and destruction of exorath that they attack the humans automatically by running at them. I would really appreciate if @Luffaren or @Purpzz can give me an idea of how to set up the animation for models to attack humans. Do you use info_nodes or is it something else? Here is what I have made so far.

via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlZNDDZ8tdA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I want that antlion to attack the humans and run at them. I will work on the animations and the set ups but I need a little help knowing how to make that antlion run at the humans and kill them. This is not the fully map. It's just a test map for the antlion and part of the original map. This video seems to be interesting to me. I would like for the antlion to be like this. Thank you and sorry for the bad video because it sucks living here with crappy machines.

via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxIbFGqSqaY&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
    • May 14, 2011
      Its always hard to animate. You would have to have a few triggers which detect when the boss is facing the players. When lets say 5 players are found in the central trigger you could make it charge until there are none left inside it.

Thats how I would make it.
    • Dec 3, 2011
      You want the boss move like predator/exorath?
      Because thats based on triggers, filters, targetsnames and thrusters who are pushing a func_physbox. Animations i cant do since i already ask on Joris to make my animations, i cannot make anims myself. The movement system is can make, if Luffaren allows me to share this system with you and that other guy since lately more and more people are interested in that system, i dont know if its all fine for him to share. Will ask him.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Jul 28, 2011
          GRUDGE, Jun 30, 2012 Last edited by GRUDGE, Jun 30, 2012
        • Feb 24, 2011

I don't own the system in any way really, i'd say that no one does. Although i'll say that copy+pasting things/systems from other peoples maps without asking for permission would be a good way of showing unprofessional behavior, as for not really learning anything out of it.

My point is, feel free to create whatever you want, even if it's been done already. If you've given enough time and effort it will surely get noticed.
          feel free to look in other peoples work to find out how they did it, for learning purposes, and then create it from scratch yourself.
          I wouldn't appreciate if you copied the system straight out of predator as an example, especially without asking. I would instead recommend you to ask for help (purpzz seem to be pretty willing) / look how it was made in the .vmf / search around the interwebs for tutorials / go all out on the testing, test your way forward.

In this way you'll get what you want and learn from it at that, then you wont need as much help in the future and be able to help other mappers out instead, as for being able to do much more map-wise and being more efficient.

I'll say that i've learned a whole lot and a whole lot more about different mapping techniques and tricks since predator. Things that i never even could imagine at first, and i'll surely include some of these things in my upcoming map A.k.a "The secret project"
          Have a good one.
          • Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • May 14, 2011

You are god.
          • Oct 17, 2011
            I didn't copy and paste anything man and I swear I never do that. That is why I made this thread asking for help and thanks for the advice. I would really appreciate a small tutorial or prefab that can help me with it because I would really need it for that Antlion. Again, I never recompiled predator or exorath but I played when we got to the boss fights and liked the idea. Anyways, I'll DL that prefab from kaemon. Thanks grudge.
          • Dec 3, 2011
            Dont bother it Mario, he was just saying, we know u dont recompiled our maps and we will sure help you out, i have a small prefab from my boss system since i redid the total boss fight for my upcomming update for exorath.
            I will (if luffaren not already did) explain you how this works, or if Luffaren prefer want to do it himself, i dont mind it at all. You have me on steam, let me know when you need it via steam.
            When my prefab is fully done i can handle it over if still need and if u have more questions about it i will be glad to help.
          • May 14, 2011
            This is intresting I would love to see how boss systems are made if boss systems are made the way I imagine them to be. The most complex of which, must be @Luffaren 's Medusa system. Although I don't dare to decompile it. :tremble:

EDIT: ^above