Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Need help with computer

Discussion in Technical Support started by Wet towel, May 27, 2012

1. May 27, 2012
    Recently there has been talk about antivirus on the servers and AVG (FREE) has come up multiple times. I was wondering if it's any good and what is a safe website where i can download it. I went on google and searched it but multiple sites offer the download but I dont know which ones can be trusted. Please help.
  2. Jun 4, 2006
    AVG sucks. MSE, Avira, Avast are all better free solutions.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Super Mario
      This message by Super Mario has been removed from public view. Deleted by Super Mario, May 27, 2012, Reason: Eh. Stupid..
      May 27, 2012
    • Sep 7, 2010
      • May 27, 2012
        yes it is, thank you. but would is avast better? and what is the site for avast? Thank you very much, I think I have a virus!
      • Sep 7, 2010
      • Nov 11, 2011
        Wet Towel, you can trust CNet and Softpedia if you want to download software. I used to be a big fan of Grisoft's AVG Anti-Virus until they started loading it up with advertisements and annoying popups. It became sluggish to me. I stick with Microsoft Security Essentials (which can be downloaded from Windows Update or from the Microsoft website directly). Also... stay away from Norton. Quick story, I used to work as a manager/recruiter for Best Buy and during the Black Friday sales, we had to open all the laptops, set them up, and remove Norton and pack them up again with a copy of Trend Micro Antivirus (which I also recommend). Now whatever the reasoning behind it was, we did it, and I'm glad it made the people who bought it, a happier customer.
      • Jun 4, 2006
        If you want to educate yourself on how well an anti-virus will detect & remove anything it finds, as well as how it performs & a whole bunch of other shit, hit up http://www.av-comparatives.org/ and read some reports.

As far as MSE, Avast, or Avira go...

MSE: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials
        Avast: http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
        Avira: http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Sep 7, 2010
          http://lmgtfy.com/?q=avast antivirus
        • May 31, 2012
          If you think you already have a virus, I would not recommend counting on a antivirus software to remove it. Even if successfully done you may run into further software issues such as corrupt files.
          For people who think they already have a virus or are observing software issues on their computer, I recommend doing a restore; either back to a known good point or original factory settings. After you know all is good, then install the Antivirus to help prevent the download of a virus next time.

You can do a restore from a created restore CD or one you received from the box. Newer computers within the last... 5 years... most likely have a restore partition in the hard disk drive. To access the recovery partition depends on how the manufacturer loaded - you can often see which key it is when your computer is POSTing but here's a brief list off the top of my head for each brand:

Sony F10
          HP F11
          ASUS F9 (some models have to disable quick boot in BIOS. you can get to BIOS by hitting F2 for this manufacturer)
          Acer/Gateway/eMachines Alt+F10
          MSI F3
          Dell/Toshiba/Alienware F8 > Repair Computer > DataSafe Recovery
          Samsung F4
          Fujitsu F12 > "tab" switch to Applications > Recovery & Utility
          Lenovo "eRecover button" or F2 (some models F11)

If you are willing to put a little money into your security, some of the better software I have used are ESET, Malwarebytes, or Kaspersky. Not only am I a Technician now (that's right, going to abuse the appeal to authority fallacy), but I use to work in a Software Sales where a bunch of vendors would give us keys to their software so that we could try and learn about them - both as a Software Sales and as a Technician I have observed very good results from these Software and have had a good experience - further more they did not slow down my computer or consume much resource compared to other security software such as AVG, Norton, or McAfee (stay away from these ones... they are worse than downloading a virus).

In the end though, it does not matter how good your software is, you must be the one to make the decisions on downloads and websites. Your security software will give you sound advice or make it very difficult to download the virus but downloading a virus is not a mistake on behalf of the antivirus, OS, or any other software... it is a user error. Download what you know, and go to sites you are familiar with. If you are good with sticking to what you know, free (or no) software is okay - MS Security Essentials recommended by Sajak above I have also had some good results with; if you are not good with sticking to what you are familiar with or do some risky downloads to update your playlist or movies etc... , you might want to pay up a little bit to preserve the security of your computer.
        • Jun 23, 2010
          I'm a MSE user, but the new version dropped MSE down a couple ranks, when I saw the 2012 reviews.

Avast was first if I can remember right.

But pair any free anti-virus with Malwarebyte's, you should be good.
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Mar 6, 2012
            Lol, I am pretty sure most everyone who are here, are technicians of some sort.
          • May 14, 2011
            I would wait for anti virus sales. Its a shame you started this thread / I only saw it 2 days too late becuase bit defender had an amazing sale.
            Capture2

This was for new customers as well by the way.

If your thinking of getting a paid antivirus bit defender all the way.

Otherwise get AVG but keep an eye out for paid antivirus sales. (Next one is in the summer) I believe.
          • Nov 29, 2010
            MSE By far is the best free antivirus on the market at the moment. AVG is an okay option, but I absolutely hated it for the fact is lagged my old computer to shit every time it did an antivirus scan.
          • Apr 14, 2011
            Never any problems with bit defender, try that ^^
          • Nov 11, 2011
            I forgot to mention, ESET Nod32 and Panda are great also. But MSE gets the job done for me so why change it when it's not broken.
          • Apr 14, 2011
            So true, I got a 10 key package i still have like 8-9 keys left... I may give some away
          • Mar 12, 2008

I have licensed AVG and i really like it.

Prob gonna catch hell for "paying" for an anti-virus, but w/e. It's always done good by me, and still has. I haven't regretted it.
          • Jun 4, 2006
            Paying for an AV is fine and dandy, but I'd give you hell for paying for a shitty one. Have some hell.
          • Mar 12, 2008
            I will take that hell, and save it for a rainy day.