Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Need to upgrade some stuff

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Kloud, Jan 2, 2015

1. Apr 3, 2013

I'm slowly turning this calculator into a toaster, and I need some suggestions for what components I should get.
    Basically, just link any stuff that I should buy for my pc, and I'll flip a coin whether to buy it or not to.

These are the things I currently have:
    Thanks!
    Kloud, Jan 2, 2015 Last edited by Kloud, Jan 2, 2015
  2. Jan 21, 2011
    Don't get an i7 unless you're going to start mapping for real. I5 will do everything you should need to do.

Turning a calculator into a toaster seems like a downgrade in terms of electronics...
  3. Feb 27, 2012
    660 should be fine, for now. Within a year you should probably upgrade. Watch the prices for the 960 when it gets released.
    Motherboard, im so sorry you went with amd. My condolences.
    RAM you should upgrade to at least 8gb.
    Processor, go with an i5 unless you're seriously looking for something that will require an i7 (hardcore video or photo editing for example) an i5 is cheaper and in reality just as good as an i7 if you're just gaming or even mapping.
    SSD s have been going on sale for really good prices lately. Your ssd should be fine though. Read /write speeds are really good. If you're just after more storage, go with a hdd instead. Seagate ones are cheaper than WD, and from what I've read and seen is that WD hard drives are hit and miss right now.
    Psu should be fine unless you're getting a top of the line amd graphics card or doing SLI/crossfire.

Ill post some links to some parts soon.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dec 10, 2013
      m8 ur computer is already on steroids why would u want more
    • Oct 24, 2013
      You should get a 1tb or more spin drive to store things on and keep your ssd for your games and OS. That's just my opinion.

I would avoid any advice Tony gives because he can barely load this webpage on his laptop. :giggle:
    • Apr 3, 2013
      I have a 250GB HDD that I use for some programs I use less commonly. Space is not an issue for me, really
    • Oct 24, 2013
      Then save your moneys and buy a nice dinner. :beauty:
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Jan 5, 2014
        What's your budget look like? What kind of applications are you planning on running (e.g. just gaming, or maybe video editing, etc.)? Are you trying to target a specific framerate at a specific resolution (e.g. 60fps at 1440p or maybe 144fps at 1080p)? Looking for upgradability (e.g. SLI/Crossfire down the line)?

If you're not trying to run AAA titles on ultra at large resolutions, I'd hold off on upgrading the GPU. Core i7's are only good if you need hyperthreading (i.e. tasks that require a lot of parallelism). So if you're only gaming, an i5 will be perfect for you. I'm running a i5-4670k on stock speeds and I breeze through pretty much every game (while having several Chrome tabs, Netflix, and other misc. shit). Gaming doesn't really require parallelism, but more cores/threads is nice if you're doing a lot of productivity stuff.

For now, maybe just throw in another 4GB of memory and call it a day. I hope this doesn't come across as condescending, but I'd recommend holding off on purchases until you have a clearer idea of what you're looking for.
        Beggar So, Jan 2, 2015 Last edited by Beggar So, Jan 2, 2015