Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Needs new ISP.

Discussion in Networking started by Anathema, Feb 4, 2012

1. Feb 18, 2011
    What is the best ISP you guys would recommend for the Denver area? CenturyLink blew the last straw. I will most likely get the best package there is, currently paying for 40mbps and I can't even utilize half of it. Open to any suggestions and things that are better then 40mbps would be even better.
    EDIT: I can do bundles but would prefer not to.
  2. Aug 2, 2010
    Thanks to the idiotic regulations in this country, you're not going to have much of a choice when it comes to an ISP. Most areas only have 2 ISPs. I only get to choose between Frontier (bought out Verizon in my area) or Comcast.

Comcast will most likely be your only other option for fast speeds.
  3. Oct 27, 2010
    I get Comcasts "Extreme 50" internet for about $50 a month, I'm pretty happy with it.... It's all about pitting sales reps against one another.
  4. Dec 6, 2011
    ^ This. Just threatening to go to "the other guy" got me 25mb/s dl, 12.5ul internet, full cable + on demand w/ starz/hbo/sho/1 DVR, and home phone all for $60 for the first 6 months, then $85 after that. (I should be at $100+ or something)
  5. Dec 30, 2011
    be happy with 20mb/s

i'm having to work on 0.5mb/s~
  6. Feb 18, 2011
    I'd be happy with it if I was paying for 20mbps but I am paying for double that and CenturyLink claims theres a problem with the 5 different ethernet cords I have tried.
  7. Mar 12, 2008
    like the others said, threaten with the other guy.

"I've been a customer for x years, and you guys have too many problems. I'm going to have to look for another ISP"

You could also probably catch them fucking your shit up if you know anything about networking.

If you can get Charter, i'd go for it, but you may have to buy a bundle. Some cockmonglers that work there only come and look at the box, but the techs that came out this time went in the attic and fixed our internet. They replaced something in the attic, and it boosted the download speed.

EDIT: Also verizon internet SUCKS FAT DICK. Even FiOS.
  8. Oct 29, 2010
    Are you paying for up to 40mb/s or minimum 40mb/s? If the latter, make them send someone out to test the connection themselves, if you're paying for a guaranteed minimum speed they kinda have to supply that.

I know many people who would strongly disagree.
  9. Mar 12, 2008
    those many people can blow me.

verizon likes to screw it's customers. I got a co-worker who loves his FiOS. I don't doubt that it's great, as i've yet to OWN it, ive just seen from what that co-workers shown me.

I just get tired of the whole song-and-dance when you call them about a non-functioning internet connection.
    "Theres a problem in the area" The fuck there is. that's the classic excuse for any of those retarded monkeys.
  10. Dec 7, 2010
    Its a captive audience in my neighborhood so there really is no negotiating.. :frown:

I'm okay with what I have currently. I don't think I'll need the 60mb special.
  11. Feb 18, 2011
    My updates on this are not good.
    I have tried what you said multiple times, but they keep insisting there is nothing wrong with it. Their speedtest service is completely fabricated and has not only displayed more than my bandwidth but make it seem like I am getting perfect speeds. If you guys looked at my temporary signature you probably noticed I am getting speeds lower than 1mbps and all they say when I bring up speedtest results from speedtest.net is that their site is cluttered and causing it to appear slow. I told them that was a lie because you don't test from the site you test from a server anywhere in the world. They continue offering me tech support to look at my modem but I would have to pay for it. I tried negotiating with a customer service rep asking for a discount on what I am paying for because I can't get anything fixed but all she did was offer me a bundle that costs more than what I am paying now. Fuck them, fuck their customer service, telling them to say goodbye to a 10 year customer.