Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

New Build, sort of (reusing parts)

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Zenzr, Mar 30, 2016

1. Jul 8, 2012
    So I have inherited an hp 800 G1 Business Tower, and would like to convert (kind of) it into a gaming machine. I am looking to buy some other parts to use it with my EVGA 760 4GB card.

Spec List of the 800 G1

PC Part List of ideas

I already have spare SSD's and HDD's I'll be thowing in to use.

Basically I want to create it into a Mid range Gaming machine, which the 760 would work wonderfully for I think.

Any ideas on better parts and or ideas? looking to keep around $200.

The 760 is Overkill for this I think, as I won't be pushing much for graphics power. 2x20" monitors 1400x900 and 1600x900.
    Zenzr, Mar 30, 2016 Last edited by Zenzr, Mar 30, 2016
  2. Oct 25, 2013
    I would also throw in a SSD and perhaps a sound card if you use surround speakers.
  3. Jul 8, 2012
    I forgot to mention I already have a spare SSD and HDD storage I'll be using already.

No sound card is needed, she uses headphones and is perfectly content. Doesn't really fit into the budget sadly.

Updated OP with that info.
  4. Dec 6, 2011
    If you already have what's listed in the 800 G1, you should be good to go with your GTX 760. The i5 4670 and 8GB RAM would work great. It supports PCI-e x16, and as long as you can fit your card in that case, it'll be good to go. Maybe just an SSD and larger HDD storage, and that Hyper 212 you have listed.

If your GPU doesn't seem to fit there's loads of larger dirt cheap cases to be had.
  5. Jul 8, 2012
    The main issue is the the PSU in the 800 G1 is the OEM HP PSU so it doesn't have the correct connections for my 760 natively. And it's only a 320W PSU which would run dangerously high for trying to rig up something to me 760.

But yeah I have a few 500GB 7200RPM drives and an 840 pro drive I'll be throwing in for the OS. It'll be running mainly SSD storage, but doesn't need to be blazing fast.

Going to buy a different mid ATX case though, the GF doesn't really like how the HP case looks and I think it'll all fit better in it anyway.
  6. Dec 6, 2011
    Yeah, other than the PSU, you're pretty much set. Do you know what kind of case you're going for?

When you pick one out, make sure it has the same orientation for mounting as the OEM mobo inside the 800 G1. It's not too common, but I've been surprised before with absolutely looney OEM mobos that uniquely sized and don't fit in smaller cases.
  7. Jul 8, 2012
    Not specifically yet, but it doesn't need to be anything fancy. Anything right around the $75 mark works perfect in the budget I think.

I have a different mobo in the new build, so it shouldn't matter I thought?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
  8. Oct 25, 2013
    Throw everything in the garbage. Get urself a small sustainable desktop that can games for like a buck 50

Get a mac for everything. My life changed ever since @Secprotocol introduced me to Chrome browsers.
    • Funny Funny x 1
      Benderius, Mar 31, 2016 Last edited by Benderius, Mar 31, 2016
    • Dec 30, 2006
    • Jun 11, 2012
      FUCK OUT OF HERE WITH THAT. You know it's all the Active Directory
    • Jul 8, 2012
      Why did I expect anything useful from you guys...
    • Jul 14, 2010
      It looks like everything you chose is fine. You know what you need best :razz:
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Jul 8, 2012
        Mainly I was going for compatibility issues to make sure everything fit. Also to make sure I got the right mobo for the CPU.
      • Dec 30, 2006
        • Like Like x 1
        • Jun 11, 2012
          Benderius, Apr 1, 2016 Last edited by Benderius, Apr 1, 2016