Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

new comp

Discussion in Help Desk started by DopeScope, Jan 3, 2012

1. Jul 19, 2011
    I am thinking about trying to build a new computer. Many of you probably have heard me complaining about my 14 fps is just about every map in ZE. I do not know much about computers and that is where i will need a ton of help. Could any of you suggest what I should do to learn more about building a good gaming comp? Maybe you could tell me which parts affect gameplay and what I should buy. Also, how do you tell which graphics card is better than another?
  2. Aug 1, 2011
    You should get this beast, best gaming computer out there, just look at that ram!!!

C64 Specs
    • System
      • 6502 8-bit CPU
        • 3 Registers (A, X, Y), plus PC, SP, and flags.
        • 56 Instructions
        • 64K Address Space
      • 64K RAM (available through banking out the following ROM's from the address space)
      • 8K Basic ROM
      • 8K Kernel ROM
    • Display
      • Character Map Mode
        • Each character is 8x8. The screen is made of 40x25 characters.
        • Character Set Source: ROM (predefined), or RAM (programmable)
        • Standard Character Mode: Any one color, or the screen background color
        • Multicolor Character Mode: Any one color, two pre-selected colors, or the screen background color
        • Extended Background Color Mode: Any two colors.
      • Bitmapped Graphics Mode
        • HiRes Mode: 320x200 pixels, any one color per character-cell, and the background color
        • Multocolor Mode: 160x200 pixels, 3 pre-selected colors, any one color per character-cell, and the background color
      • Sprites
        • 8 sprites available, 24x21 pixels per sprite.
        • Standard Mode: Any one color overlayed on the background display.
        • Multicolor Mode: Any one color, plus 2 pre-selected colors overlayed on the background color.
      • Other Features
        • Smooth scrolling (both horizontal and vertical)
        • Selectable Display Border Color
      • Output
        • NTSC (to a TV)
        • Luma/Chroma (to a monitor)
    • Sound
      • 3 voices mixed at one master volume.
      • Available waveforms
        • Sawtooth
        • Triangle
        • Square Wave
        • Noise Waveform
      • Envelope Control
        • Attack
        • Decay
        • Sustain
        • Release
      • Filtering
        • High-pass
        • Bandpass
        • Low-pass
        • Notch reject
      • Other Features
        • Vibrato
        • Ring Modulation
    • I/O
      • Built-in
        • Keyboard
      • Options
        • Cassette Drive
        • Floppy Disk Drives (5.25" - 1541/1571)
        • Hard Drives (MFM)
        • Joysticks (Atari 7-pin standard)
        • Cartridge Port (direct access to CPU bus)
  3. Dec 7, 2010
  4. Feb 18, 2011
    Newegg has some videos you can watch about the basic parts of a computer and building a good one. And after that usually the higher number the better goes for almost everything except the power supply.
  5. Jul 28, 2011
  6. Oct 20, 2011
    I just bought a whole new comp myself dope. My advice would be to figure out what your budget is before you do anything else.
  7. Nov 29, 2010
    It depends entirely on your budget. A computer built in 2006 can run ze with no issues.

If you're ONLY planning to run css a $700-800 budget will do perfectly.
  8. Feb 17, 2011
  9. Dec 6, 2011
    Congratulations on deciding to learn how to build one of these suckers. The first couple months you'll probably feel like a total idiot because people will say something very simple in the computer world and you will not understand it. We've all been there. Experience is key. Last year I didn't know what a GPU was, and now I've built around 20 computers, 4 custom water cooled, out of my home as a side job for friends and family.

The very first thing you will want to do is familiarize yourself with all of the general parts to a computer. You do not need to know how to take apart a hard drive, or what SDRAM is to put a computer together, so do not over-do your information seeking. I'll try to help you out the most with the basics of a computer.

Most computers will have a motherboard, a processor, RAM, a hard drive, a power supply, and an optical drive all inside of a case.

-Your motherboard is obviously the main thing that hold's everything together. It will typically have RAM slots, a CPU socket, PCI slots, PCI-E x1/x4/x8/x16 slots, spots to plug in power from the power supply, On-board audio, sometimes On-board video (if not then you'll need a graphics card), and your back plug-ins for things like video/audio/usb/etc. Notable connections would be your SATA spots to plug in any optical drives or hard drives, your power which is a 24pin plug from your PSU, a couple fan headers to plug in fans (3pin and 4pin), and your CPU power spot, 4pin.

-Your processor is very delicate, it is to be handled with extreme care. The pins on the bottom must never be touched as you can bend them and ruin the processor. The processor requires some type of heatsink and cooling. (Most of the time in basic computers its this.) and NEVER, EVER turn on your computer without a heatsink and cooling fan on it, as it will reach hundreds of degrees in seconds, which is bad. For ideas on general installation you should look at a few videos on youtube and get the idea. Your aiming for something along the lines of a quad-core cpu. AMD is nice value ones while Intel is higher performance. (ignore any other fanboy comments from posters, that's as basic as it'll get. And also ignore AMD's fancy 6 and 8 core processors, because all of those extra cores of not needed most of the time.)

-RAM is a major part in the speed of your system. Generally you'll want about 4GB to run a nice Win7 PC with basic gaming. You should never really need over 8GB, unless you literally push your computer to the limits and do anything and everything possible there is to do on one. These easily lock into slots that are next to the CPU socket. Most motherboards will have 4 slots.These are a no brainer to install and they shouldn't be too much of a hassle (unless some are duds).

-The hard drive(s) on your computer store information (duh..), I shouldn't have to go into too much detail but they will require a connection to the motherboard and power. They sit in different spots inside of a case, but usually up near the lower front.

-For your power supply, this is usually placed at the top, or at the bottom in a lot of gaming rigs (which isn't totally needed). These are easy to install, the only confusing part for beginners is plugging in power to the different parts inside of the computer. You'll always have your 24pin connector for your motherboard, your 4pin CPU power connector, power to your optical drive & hard drive. Almost always you will have extra connectors unless you have a fully modular PSU (which in this case you'd be able to take off the extras).

-Optical drive(s), are things like your CD/DVD drives, blue-ray, etc. Pretty much the same as a hard drive, requires usually a SATA plug in, and power.

-For a graphics card, now-a-days you'll be plugging it into a PCI-E x16 slot on your motherboard. When installing you pretty much just remove the back panel for the expansion slot(s) you want open, and somewhat gently push your card into the slot, making sure it's fully in there. Higher end video cards will require power, anywhere from one 6pin connector, to a 6pin and 8pin pci-e connector or two 8pin connectors.

I hope this generic information has helped, I spent quite a bit of time on this, mostly just re-wording stuff so it makes sense. Obviously it's probably not the best basic guide, but it's the same reason why I never got higher than a B in english. :razz: I didn't just post a link to a tech geek site because 99% of the time it'd be impossible to understand and would have way too much information.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, or add me on steam, I will be glad to help out. If something doesn't make sense, go HERE. It is where I've gotten 90% of my knowledge from. Or just be lazy and ask me. :grin:

I'll post a few computer build ideas to help you get started. $500-600 should be sufficient enough to have a decent gaming computer for <1650x1050 res. (I'm guessing that you don't have a giant ass monitor.)

Also, I found Paul from Newegg could help me out here. Paul is a funny guy, so you probably won't get bored. These videos are VERY VERY helpful and IMPORTANT to watch if you want to learn how to build a computer.
    Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

And post when you've read all of this stuff, I'll help explain all of the graphics cards.
  10. Jul 19, 2011
    I now look down upon devious. I also now praise quietly yell. :thumbsup:
  11. Aug 1, 2011
    Pfft, That computer is the best thing out there, no viruses, never crashes, instant boot, no lag, how can you go wrong with those.
  12. Dec 6, 2011
    Well it's too late for me now but tomorrow I'll help you on some more things. Just make sure you watch those three videos before you read my post tomorrow :thumbsup:
  13. Jul 19, 2011
  14. Dec 6, 2011
    Alright. Graphics cards... whew. First, familiarize yourself with the numbers, as they are really fucking annoying. AMD CARDS and your Nvidia HERE. Just get to know the card's numbers and how they match up.

Here's your charts for comparison that will help you see which is better than which. GPU Charts

It may not be the funnest thing to do but you should skim through those links above just so you know that a 8500GT isn't anything close to a GTX 580.

Once you've got the idea, you should head over to AnandTech. They have very nice benchmarks set up for you to look through. You can also compare specific cards to each other which is very handy.

I'll give you a couple computer build ideas, but your thoughts may interfere. Newegg's DIY combo's are extremely cheap, and you save a nice chunk of cash.

HAF912 FX-6100/GTX 560Ti Gaming SuperCombo - $627.55 (you save $100) (I'd just suggest to just buy another set of the RAM they have in the combo and you need an optical drive still ( I have one in the custom build below). Also, if you'd like you could add a 200mm and a 140mm fan to the case in this combo, giving it excellent cooling. Down the road you could probably add a SSD to speed the shit out of your system. You should only need a 60GB-120GB for around $75-$150. They will probably drop sometime in the future.

or one of many ideas I came up with for a nice value build (still able to max out most games on <1650x1050, I maxed out a ton of games on my 6770 on a 1920x1080 resolution...)

$600 Computer Build-
    Processor - $110 + free $20 newegg giftcard
    Asus Mobo - $100
    Graphics Card - $140 w/ $15 MIR
    Power Supply - $65 w/ $20 MIR
    Hard Drive - $85
    Basic Optical Drive - $20
    8GB RAM - $50
    Mid Tower Case - $50
    Two fans to add-on to your Case - $15

I would personally go with the combo because you save $100 dollars and you get better hardware. I put together that little build to show you what a good idea would be.
  15. Jul 19, 2011
    What would be different if i were to being trying to build a laptop? Just curios lol.
  16. Feb 18, 2011
    Getting a laptop case is a lot harder to come by. You also wont be able to put many of the top notch items in there. For example, a gtx 580 or a radeon 6990 wont fit in there. If you want a gaming laptop its best to just buy one online from something like alienware or cyberpower.
  17. Dec 6, 2011
    This exactly. Building a laptop is boring anyways. And try to stay away from things like Alienware. They have nice products but they overprice everything. Just try to look on Newegg for something like an Asus or another good brand with a pre-installed in GPU. The problem is you could probably build your own PC with better performance for less.
  18. Mar 12, 2008

I too was looking for tips on making my own rig in the following months so this is incredibly helpful

Since I know jack shit about everything I need to look for.

Requesting this be pinned for future referencing
  19. Jan 10, 2009
    quietly i couldn't of said that any better!

and then you can go into water-cooling.... ;P
  20. Dec 6, 2011
    I feel so useful =D And holy shit let's not get into watercooling.... I will post novels!... Let's just take a look at a sneak peak at what I'm building (not buying this, but this is exactly what I'm doing).

Watercooling = 25% for practical use, 75% for total fucking awesomeness/looking like a boss

[IMG]

Future Build~
    Above case +...
    Ivy Bridge CPU equal to i5 2500k
    2x 7950's CF watercooled
    ASrock gen3 Mobo
    120GB SSD
    1TB HDD
    850w CM/Corsair PSU

Feel free to ask me any questions if you need help on anything, I'm always here to help