Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

new comp

Discussion in Help Desk started by DopeScope, Jan 3, 2012

1. Jan 10, 2009
    thats going to be one smexy build. kind of jelly lol.

what fans do you use on your rads? because i'm about to start buying and i'm already leaning on the GT-15's for their sound/performance/static pressure.
  2. Jan 7, 2009
    You might want to check the Scythe Slipstreams out. They've got 50% higher airflow for only a 17% increase in dBs. Not sure what the numbers for static pressure are, but if you have a Swiftech, Black Ice, or other similar radiator and put two in push-pull, I would honestly be surprised if there's a significant difference. Plus you can get two of them for a bit less than a single GT.
    And if they're still too loud you could always hook them up to a fan controller or something.

Or there's a 1900 rpm version that's 37dB and puts out 110 CFM, same price. Again, if you hooked it up to a fan controller you could dial back the rpms, but still have room to ramp them up if you want max performance.

These Triebwerks also have a CFM/dB ratio in the same neighborhood as the Slipstreams, but they cost considerably more and are pretty chunky (55mm thick vs. 25mm for most normal 120s).
  3. Jan 10, 2009
    i'll have to look into those a bit more. as far as sound AP-15 1850rpm > Slipstream 1900rpm. i hate fans this has to be the hardest part. they are the only thing i haven't picked out yet.

4. Jan 7, 2009
    Well, the Slipstreams are all pretty much the same fan, just with different max rpms (much like the Gentle Typhoons; they're made by the same company). They also have 1200, 800, and 500 rpm models. The 1200 rpm model is 24dB but still has a flow rating of almost 70 CFM.

Also, regardless of which fans you get, you could try those square rubber gasket type things they sell as fan noise reducers. I'm sure they'd be able to fit between a fan and radiator; you just might need to go to the hardware store to get slightly longer screws.
  5. Dec 7, 2010
    I personally use the Triebwerk TK-122 ultra high performance radiator fan for my system.

http://www.tfc-triebwerk.com/
  6. Jan 7, 2009
    Yeah, the Triebwerks seem to be really good. They just might be a bit difficult to find room for in smaller cases, especially if you're going for push-pull.
    At the end of the day, though, it all comes down to what factors you feel are the most important for your configuration.
  7. Dec 6, 2011
    I honestly haven't decided yet, that's the only part of my research I haven't spent countless hours on. And I'm buying the Raven with the pre-installed 180mm AP's (HERE). Then I'm getting that Black Ice 240mm (180x2) Rad. Also will probably buy that beastly 360mm Black Ice GTX Rad and toss it on the back with a push/pull config. The only disappointing part about this is I'm not getting everything until mid summer. I need to save up for all of the water cooling parts after I get my main hardware.

Now let's try to stay with the OP's topic. Dopescope, have you obtained a sufficient amount of information, or would you like some more help on any additional questions?
  8. Jan 7, 2009
    My apologies for derailing the thread a bit. :whistling:

@dopescope: I'll give you some more detailed information to read through once you've read and digested some of what Quietly posted. If it's a bit confusing, feel free to PM me and I'll try to explain better or answer questions. It's not all really necessary to know to build a computer, but it's helpful for understanding specs, performance, etc.

One thing you might want to do is look up basic charts or lists of recent model series for processors and graphics cards. It'll give you a general overview of which is what and what is which, what's older or newer, etc.

I'll start out with processors.

A good thing to do is familiarize yourself with the different chipsets and sockets for these different types and series of processors. This will help prevent getting the wrong motherboard for a particular processor, or vice versa. It's also just good general knowledge. I'll try to give you a brief overview here, and make it as easy to understand as I can. It can be pretty confusing, but once you get the gist of things it's a lot simpler.

The socket name/number refers to the type of the actual socket in which the processor sits. Most Intel socket names contain a number, such as 775 or 1366. This basically refers to the number of pins on the processor. As such, a socket LGA775 processor won't fit in an LGA1366 motherboard socket. These days, you'll probably only be encountering Intel sockets 1155, 1156, 1366, and 2011. I don't know a lot about AMD sockets, but I'm pretty sure the only ones you'd have to worry about are AM2/AM3/AM3+.
    The chipset is the small chip on the motherboard that essentially directs information between the PCI Express slots, the RAM, and the processor. It is also commonly referred to as the "northbridge". There is also a southbridge chip, but you don't need to worry about that.

A couple examples:
    The Intel Core 2 Duo and Quad series use the LGA 775 socket and any of the following chipsets: P35, P45, X38, or X48 (excluding nForce, for simplicity's sake).
    The first generation of Core i3, i5, and i7 are a little trickier. The i3 (model number 5xx), i5 (m.n. 7xx), and i7 (m.n. 8xx) use the LGA 1156 socket, and the P55 chipset. The high-end i7s (m.n. 9xx) use the LGA 1366 socket and the X58 chipset.
    The second generation Intel Core i3, i5, and i7 (m.n. 2x00, "Sandybridge") use socket 1155, and the P67 or Z68 chipset. The new high-end i7 "Sandybridge E" uses socket 2011, and the X79 chipset
    The recent AMDs are a bit more straightforward. As I said above, the only ones you'll really see use socket AM3 or AM3+, and maybe AM2 for some of the older Phenoms and Athlons. The chipsets are the 7x0 series, 8x0 series, and 9x0 series. I don't really know much beyond that though, since I haven't used AMD. Sorry. :confused:

Once you learn about this stuff, you could start reading about the front side bus, core clocks, multipliers, etc. if you want.

I'll try and make another post about graphics cards next.
  9. Dec 6, 2011
    I don't mean to be a downer but he was trying to avoid this type of information :confused:

I wanted to supply only the bare basics of building a computer and not go into the technology of each type of product. I do, however, love your enthusiasm. I think this type of information should be in a whole different topic for others that would like to learn. :wink:
  10. Jan 7, 2009
    Yeah, I just figured I'd post some more in-depth stuff in case he (or anyone else) wanted to learn a bit more about it, so he could understand more of the stuff he may encounter. If he just wants to know how to put it together, and ignore my ramblings, that's fine too.
    I guess I probably could have simplified it a bit, for what I was trying to do.
  11. Oct 22, 2007
    If you went the water route i could take you through that process with ease as everything in my pc in on water and it is nice barely hearing anything, with temps lower than others overclocked. Just one problem, it cost cash and I would stay away from it unless you really needed it and wanted to build one hell of a machine. Meaning one loop can run you 250 on the low end and 1300 or so doing everything. Any how i think you have another issue to why you are getting low fps with that 550 card you have. Other parts in your system could be upped and it might be a simple upgrade to get you with some better speed than a complete new build. As stated, you are going to have to set a limit on that build if you decide to go that route. FML i am tired, 6 am and just getting home, eerrrrrrr....
  12. Feb 21, 2007
    I agree it can cost money, but i think 1300 is a little overboard. I would say expect to spend 250-500 if you choose watercooling.
  13. Jul 19, 2011
    This is going to take some time to read... LOL i will try to respond ASAP.
  14. Dec 6, 2011
    You really shouldn't worry about water cooling anytime soon since your new to all of the computer building stuff.

Like I've said before, if you need anymore help or have questions feel free to ask away, add me on steam, whatever. I'll do my best to help.
  15. Jan 7, 2009
    By the way dopescope, did you have any sort of rough budget in mind?
  16. Dec 6, 2011
    The lowest he could go would probably be $600 if he wants to drastically improve his fps. The only bad thing of going for the bare minimum is that your getting basic parts that are hard to improve on. For example, getting something like the combo build/custom build I showed on the previous page would ruin your chances of fully upgrading in the future. My little "goal" shopping cart, one that i'd stare at every day as I got more and more money, is a nice future proof build to house a basic setup to start me off with (around $750), and then I'd buy my parts as time progressed.

Here's pretty much what it consisted of:
    CPU - i5 2500k - This is a very popular CPU for gamers. Anything above this is useless and pricey unless you do a lot of hi-tech work. I'm buying the Ivy Bridge version of this. (whatever it compares closest to)

Motherboard - ASRock Z68 Extreme3 gen3 - This is nice because It's PCI-E x16 3.0 ready, it supports Ivy Bridge, and it has CFX/SLI enabled.

RAM - 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 - You cannot go wrong with these. Also, when you want, you can add another 8GB to have the ridiculous and unnecessary 16GB of RAM.

HDD - 500GB Seagate 7200RPM - Your basic hard drive, kind of shitty that production is milking the fuck out of this flooding. Obviously it takes time to rebuild but they're only in it for the money.

PSU - Cooler Master TX850w 80P.B. - PSU's are hard as hell to choose from, due to the fact that buying cheap can be risky. And you don't want to drop $200 just for a good brand name. I personally like CM, but sometimes value PSU's will be sufficient (like my 400watt Dynex that was stressed everyday for 4 years and didn't even hiccup B) )

Optical Drive - Asus DVD/CD/Burner Drive - Your basic trusted drive. I honestly don't care about these at all, since CD's aren't used a whole lot anymore. "what's a CD?"

Case - HAF X 942 Full Tower - This grand-daddy of a case is huge. I chose it for it's amazing upgrade ability. There's room for fan upgrades and radiators for whenever you think the time is right. A massive amount of space in this one.

For something like this, down the road I can add in whatever GPU I want, or CFX two 7950's/etc. I am also able to add in some SSD's/more HDD's. Water cooling is also a nice option for such a large case. That is why I like to stress the idea of upgradability to people who ask me for computer build ideas. But there are some people who will be fine with something like my little $600 build mentioned before for many years before they want another whole computer.