Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

New Fast Download Server

Discussion in News started by Ray, Sep 5, 2011

1. Aug 18, 2006
    The new Fast Download server is now live!

After months of on and off research and development, we finally launched our new FastDL server. Running on our new services box, rather than our shared hosting plan, you will notice better speeds. Largely because the new server the FastDL web server is running off of has much less load and better hardware, in addition to a faster connection and in most cases better routing. In ideal situations, downtime should also be reduced. The current FastDL goes down on a regular basis, and the website, MySQL, and Source Bans services usually goes along with it when this happens. We are going to transfer the rest of the services (not game servers) to the new server here soon for this reason as well.

For the time being, the new FastDL is only on MiniGames and ZombieMod1. This is for testing purposes and will be applied to the rest of the server once we confirmed it's stable. However, we need you to tell us if you or any other players experience issues (Everything from missing maps errors, error signs, etc), that way we can know and address the issue.

To address a couple questions I know will be asked:

Q: What the hell is a Fast Download (FastDL) server?
    A: A FastDL is the server which you download files from when you join a server for the first time. This includes skins, maps, models, sounds, etc.

Q: What does this mean for me?
    A: This means you will spend less time waiting to download new content and more time playing when you join a server. Again, this will only happen when you need to retrieve a file you don't already have, such as a map. This will especially help when a new, large map gets added to the server and ~60 other people are trying to download it. Imagine opening 2 new lanes on a highway with a traffic jam. This will also help increase server population, as long downloads scare off new players.
  2. Apr 2, 2011
    SWEETNESS :thumbsup:
  3. Jun 26, 2011
  4. Dec 7, 2010
    Excellent job Ray! I expect no less from you!
  5. May 26, 2011
    Your my hero ray!! great job
  6. Aug 27, 2011
    Traffic Jam? Opening two lanes? I predict many a-hole drivers cutting each other off thus causing more accidents and an even bigger jam! Anyways awesome I've been wanting to play on the ZE maps but the D/L's were taking way too long.
  7. Mar 20, 2011
    Great news! Thanks Ray!!!
  8. May 20, 2011
    That's good news. Back in the days when I had to download from pF, I was d/ling with like........ 10kb/s.
  9. Mar 26, 2011
    Great Job Ray! :thumbsup:
  10. Sep 6, 2010
    Nice, great job, Ray! :smile:
  11. Aug 4, 2011
    Thank you ray for your hard work
  12. Jan 21, 2011
    This is fantastic. Well done Ray
  13. Aug 18, 2006
    Update: I just applied the new FastDL server settings to ZombieMod #2, Zombie Escape, Lila Panic, GunGame, and the Training servers.
  14. Jun 30, 2011
  15. Aug 18, 2006
    "Finally"? :huh:
  16. Feb 18, 2011
    Yep...it has been around a day wait for Fluttershy...very impatient that Pony love is.
  17. May 15, 2011

I might actually start playing ZE now.

I never could wait the hour to download the maps. QQ

Good job Mr. Ray!

I give you... a hug. *hug* :razz:
  18. Aug 18, 2006
    Please do get back to me on this. I want to see what kind of real world difference the switch has made.
  19. May 15, 2011
    Is Stargate big?

Cause I just got into it almost instantly.

But I have no idea is that's a big map or not.

Watching ze_potc download and it seems to be taking about... 1 - 2 minutes roughly.

My internet connection to my Desktop is remarkebly slower than to my Laptop too.

So thus far, the maps seem to be going Extremely faster than what I use to have to wait for.

Me thinks it's working. :grin:
  20. Feb 18, 2011
    POTC is just below 50mb
    Stargate SG1 Missions 63
    Stargate Escape is about 50 as well

From what I've noticed most of the better ZE maps are around 30mb-60mb in size.