Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

New graphics card (mainly for CS:S)

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Hek, Feb 16, 2013

1. Jan 14, 2012
    Hi there!

I could use your help. I'm looking for a new graphics card, because my ati 5770 1gb is the bottleneck of my current configuration. I was wondering if there's any difference in performance on Cs:S between the available cards out there, seeing as I don't really play anything else. Probably not that much, but maybe you can shed some light on this.

My setup:
    intel 2600k
    8gb ddr3
    Crucial m4 128GB SSD
    24" 1920x1200 monitor

I have a budget of around 200€ (around 250$) in mind, because I think spending more on a gpu is overkill considering the rapid price drops of new GPUs.

I saw these two:
    MSI N660 TF 2gb is around 200€ here in holland
    Sapphire ati HD 7870 boost hd 2gb as well

Dont really care if its nvidia or ati, I'm mainly looking for more fps on predator haha (currently its around 35 at the first holdspot)

Thanks in advance!
    Hek, Feb 16, 2013 Last edited by Hek, Feb 16, 2013
  2. Nov 29, 2010
    Both video cards are neck and neck at the moment,

Nvidia and ATI both have their ups and downs in terms of brands.
    Clam Chowder, Feb 16, 2013 Last edited by Clam Chowder, Feb 16, 2013
  3. Apr 9, 2012
    !blame @Luffaren
    Post Merged, Feb 16, 2013
    Why picking a HD6000 series now? I wouldn't go that way, they aren't the best for Single GPU so far I know... @Brett should be here to explain it again
  4. Jan 22, 2013
    I'm an Nvidia fanboy personally, I played around for a while with a couple different cards on my friends builds until I settled on a 670, but the 660 my friend has was nice.
  5. Mar 12, 2008
    I have the 7870 and it runs great. I hear nvidia is better for gaming though.

comes down to what better suits your preferences
  6. Jan 13, 2013
  7. Nov 11, 2011
    I've had a couple of Ti cards and they run amazing for the price. I would recommend you hop on that card.
  8. Dec 6, 2011
    @Hek , surprisingly enough, I did a little experiment a couple of months back, and it actually comes out that ZE styled maps with excessive custom textures (like predator/mako) tend to run better with AMD cards. A little bit of bickering on Tom's Hardware decided that Hammer or whatever the engine runs through and pulls textures from, is optimized with AMD cards. I believed there was another reason than this, but FPS rates were higher with AMD cards on average in testing nonetheless.

I'm a fan of both AMD and Nvidia, and I'm actually excited to see what Nvidia will bring us with Maxwell in 2014. That aside, The card right up your alley is most definitely the HD7870. Shit, if you wait for the Kepler refresh that should be in less than a few months, the 7950's may drop even more and price and you'll be able to find a good one for $250-ish. Here's my favorite of the 7870's: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161404 or a new design from MSI: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127722 .

Solely depends on the game, they're mostly neck and neck, winning some and losing some.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Jan 14, 2012
      Thank you all for responding! Based on what @Brett said I'm going for an ati card!
    • Mar 12, 2008
    • Dec 6, 2011
      @Hek what case do you have? It may affect your decision on what card to get. Something like Taters' card requires more of a one-direction airflow and not just fans blowing air into the case. The reason is because with that type of cooler, all it's doing is spewing air right onto the PCB itself, causing heat to spread throughout the case if there's not a consistent flow of air in one direction. The HIS I linked you to would work better if you have a case that doesn't have a "one-direction" flow of air, because most of the heat would go out of the back where the HDMI/DVI/etc. connections are.

I took this from another thing I was helping somebody with, showing the direction of airflow in two different cases. This Air Penetrator fan that's shown in the demo, is in the Raven RV02-E case (the 3 bottom fans).

AP fan demonstration:

Raven RV02-E (one simple direction of airflow: up. Heat does rises, does it not? =P): [IMG]
      The cords going to the GPUs on this aren't blocking the fan but they're to be pushed up against the side panel when it's closed if you're wondering why they're such an eyesore sitting right in front.

Vs. Antec 1200 (multiple directions of airflow):