Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

New Graphics Card

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Synopsis, Jul 9, 2012

1. May 28, 2012
    I am going to get a new graphics card. I Don't want an overly expensive one. Somewhere around $150- $200. Recommendations?

Current Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 512

New Graphics Card: ?
  2. May 14, 2011
    I have a feeling this will turn into a bitch fight about amd vrs nvidia.
  3. Dec 6, 2011
    Somebody please post this dude the 5+ threads of juicy information about graphics cards, I'm currently on a phone. @Synopsis , please check before you post this thread. Feel free to ask me if you have any FURTHER questions regarding this topic. Off of the top of my head, it'd be a 7850, but that's just a little above your range.

Somebody says this in every thread =P
  4. Jun 17, 2012
    I want to say a gtx 560 ti and you manually overclock it to a 570. i have my MSI gtx 560 ti 1gb OCed to 1044ghz on the core. its under 200 for this zotac or grab this MSi card from new egg for 20 bucks more and wait for the rebate.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127594 <--msi GTX 560ti Fermi 1 gb 204 after rebate with 8$ shipping
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1781498&csid=_61 <---Zotac GTX 560 Ti NON FERMI 1gb 189.99 with 8$ shipping.

Or for AMD the 7850 is just a little out of your price range but i found you this card.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127663 240$ but 210$ after rebate with FREE shipping so its actually cheaper than the gtx 560 ti its better beacuse you can Overclock and make it faster than a 570 so its actually better than the gtx 560 ti and almost the same price but the drivers for AMD are newer so not yet optimized. i would definatly go with this and wait for the rebate to come in.

quick fps chart.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/349567-33-560ti-radeon-7850
    marine1217, Jul 9, 2012 Last edited by marine1217, Jul 9, 2012
  5. Dec 6, 2011
    First link is a light bulb, and if buying previous generation cards is his forte, he should just grab a GTX 480 for $200. Same as a GTX 570, for a lot less. Otherwise, I'd rather say to get the newest generation card for future-proofing, better temps, better overclocking, and less power draw.
  6. Jun 17, 2012
    thanks for showing me that brett i accidently changed the ending of the link with <---msi
  7. Nov 29, 2010
    Also, if you have any stores in your area, (Not best buy, future shop all that regulated bullcrap) like NCIX for example, you can find some really good deals like 50% off on the previous gen video card. Some stores will frequently have deals in various areas, so I recommend checking them out before ordering online.
    Post Merged, Jul 9, 2012
    You don't need to redirect him over to the search, he asked a question that's specific to his needs, we're answering. Also, it makes you look like a douche
    Clam Chowder, Jul 9, 2012 Last edited by Clam Chowder, Jul 9, 2012
  8. Mar 19, 2011
    save up a bit more and go with a 7850, I am VERY confident you won't regret it. I have one but my fucking PSU is dead so I have no way of knowing the performance. I am going to get my computer checked out by a friend soon hopefully it is just a faulty PSU. Also Brett using this computer's PSU to run a test is a no-go not enough wattage and not even close to what I need. Been about a wk and not being able to use my recently assembled computer FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
  9. Nov 29, 2010
  10. Mar 19, 2011
    + The SATA power connectors are fucking atrocious....
  11. May 14, 2011

Read his post above.
  12. Nov 29, 2010
    ho-oly shit yeah, that's really low. Let me guess, your computer is restarting every time you play a graphics intensive game?
  13. Mar 19, 2011
    No, DOA couldn't even get a test boot going. I could be wrong and I might have made a mistake with installation of my components but I really don't know
    Again I'm just going to get a second opinion from a friend before I RMA who knows though. I should have just went with Corsair, Antec or Silverstone.
  14. Nov 11, 2011
    Go with the EVGA GTX 560 Ti if you want an already overclocked card. It should fit your budget perfectly.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Jun 17, 2012
      Using MSI afterburner anyone can overclock.
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Re-read what I said. "if you want an already overclocked card"
    • Jun 17, 2012
      Overclocked cards always cost so much more and when its easy as just searching how to overclock on msi afterburner or other programs its not worth it. and i will reread next time i probably sounded like an ass.
    • Feb 18, 2011