Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

new laptop

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by mis bong, Feb 7, 2013

1. Dec 8, 2012
    Hey guys, i am going away to college soon and i am in desperate need of a new laptop. I came here because i have heard great stories of people here who know a lot about computers. I am looking for any great laptop that can run skyrim, css ze, and other top notch games. my price range is around 1-1.5k. Feel free to wait till you see something go on sale to post back here. Or if you already know what laptop is perfect and are just waiting for it to go on sale, post here so i can check daily. thanks for your time and help. @Brett since ik you're the computer wizard on this forum.

I can wait about 1-2 months if needed.
  2. Nov 29, 2010
    The ASUS G series are a good brand. I'm sure about 5-6 people will bring them up again, like Clam's G55. Here is the ASUS official site, no prices, but a quick google search will get you that. I got my G74 for around $1,500 and it has served me well.
  5. Feb 11, 2012
    my pc wasnt even 1k lol (although i do know someone, so i got it cheaper) , im sure u can find a good one that u need.
  6. Dec 8, 2012
    The toshiba one has a better graphics card and screen is larger, but the price is less than clam's. I had looked at clam's laptop too and thought it was a good option. Is there anything that would make the Asus superior to the toshiba @Clam Chowder????
  7. Oct 22, 2012
    When it comes to laptop/ notebooks it's Lenovo (former IBM) or nada for me. I have had them for work and pleasure for years...I still have one sitting right next to me right now..built in 2003 and still going strong after being abused as my work laptop (I only use it for surfing the internet, while playing ze :beatup: ) Anyhow check out the W series, esp. the 530. Its amazing, and should handle your requirments just fine (though not as well as a desktop) without making you look like a nerd, as they are very business like, no nonsense. But, dont you dare picking one up without a coupon or being on sale at least 30-40%, otherwise they :zombiekiller: take you for all you have and then some.
  8. Nov 11, 2011
    That's because the qosmio screens range from 17.3 to 18.4 inches. Most ASUS ones are between 15 to 17 inches. It really comes down to the company you trust more and believe their products to be of quality as well as their customer service.
  9. Feb 21, 2007
    • Nov 11, 2011
      I actually liked that laptop too but I was brand loyal to Toshiba so I got the qosmio.
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Jun 11, 2012
        I got a Alienware m17xr4, can you guise stop screaming. My ear hurt from all the screaming. I can't type right because of this.

Note, invest on some very good laptop cooler since this all this laptop are desktop replacement.
      • Nov 29, 2012
        Alien ware is horrible, I highly recommend an Asus G series, I have one myself and I can run anything. Mines a i7core and hell, I have not had one problem running any game with it yet. And the cooling system is great. Out of every laptop I've ever had, Asus has been my best and I don't regret anything about it.
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Nov 11, 2011
          You would think that but their quality has been much better and they are no longer overpriced. With the m17rx4 (some say it's the rx3 in a 4 casing) you get a beast laptop at a standard market price.
        • Jun 11, 2012
          i7, 32GB, my own installed ssd, 680m, superb cooling, 120hz monitor, superb keyboard. In honesty I was going to buy the MSI GT70 or the Asus G line but the customer service, tech coming to my house next day, and cross shipping returns sold the deal. Also in terms of spec, my custom m17xr4 is too beast, even for me and still keeps up with the higher end laptop gaming.

Also yeah build quality is really great, nothing is flimsy and this is coming from a guy who had a nx7400 for years (I swear to god that thing must have been made from titanium). Don't forget boys and girls, you can always haggle with dell
        • Nov 29, 2010
          Alienware still falls under my category for overpriced cash-in for dell.

In seriousness I find gaming laptops to be a bad investment overall, but hey, that's just me.

I trust ASUS the most in terms of quality since I haven't had a single asus laptop spontaneously combust.
        • Dec 6, 2011
          @peekingpanda Literally helped me build my PC from scratch basically..awesome guy
          Post Merged, Feb 8, 2013
          Cyberpowerpc.com , you tell them how to build your computer and it's really cheap too, they have lots of good deals and everything. That is how me and peeking did it.
        • Dec 6, 2011
          Lol? They're not cheap at all. Computer building sites are pointless and a waste of money.

And as I quoted in my "how to build a PC" thread, I would gladly sit on a webcam and tell you which piece goes where if that's what it takes.
        • Nov 11, 2011
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Dec 6, 2011
            I'm not cheap if that's what you're asking.
            • Informative Informative x 1