Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

New map soon to be released. Need help.

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Dapk1nmasta, Feb 16, 2012

1. Jan 27, 2012
    I'm currently in progress of drawing a new map. However, since this is my first time with Hammer, I am in need of some layer and texture help. I need to know when to use nodraw, hints, etc. One of the PF admins brought to my attention that these addins were required to reduce lag in the map.
    Thanks in advance,
    Your proud PF admin Ace.
  2. Apr 9, 2007
    I think YouTube would be able to help more. However, I'm uncertain if anyone is willing to write a lengthy tutorial explaining this.
  3. Jul 4, 2011
    • May 15, 2011
      Layer and texture? This ain't Photoshop. In Hammer you build with brushes and paint with faces. Here, have some tutorials:

3Klik'sPhilip - Very simple tutorials covering just the basics. A very good place to start if it's your first time.

Gamebanana - If you need help with a specific tutorial search here. Their are plenty of well made ones here.

TopHatWaffle - This is a lot more in depth about more advance things in Hammer.

Source Docs - If you can't find something anywhere else, you will most likely find it here.

As for using Nodraw, it's a good habit to start building your map in Nodraw, and then place textures as you go or when you are finished the map. Here are some examples: hammer 2012-02-16 07-46-29-39 hammer 2012-02-16 07-46-38-77

You will use nodraw everywhere. The only place nodraw does not belong is in the view of the player when in-game. If a player is able to see a nodraw texture, they will see the skybox, which in turn looks like shit.

The Hint/Skip Texture is an optimization tool. 3Klik'sPhilip explains it.
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Aug 8, 2010
        Alright, thanks guys. I wasn't expecting a whole tutorial but rather a short explanation on when to use the nodraw and other "feature" textures. I'll have a look at some of the vids.

Sent from my Samsung Infuse using Tapatalk.
      • Feb 14, 2012
        Usually I start with the Dev textures solely because I use it to scale the certain hight of players within the level. After I'm sure that the map is ready for release, I replace the Dev textures with nodraw textures.
      • Aug 8, 2010
        I do not use too many hint or skip brushes. They are simply not needed at this level of your mapping. Nodraw is used everywhere the player cannot see. I make all "invisible to player side brushes" nodraw. This will decrease compile times & frames in the game. Hammer likes to draw everything even if you do not see it. Here you would use area portals. Area portals are what you should practice. I would start off by just making some always open area portals. Then once you have your AP's in place simply compile the map. If the AP in not completely enclosed, you will get a LEAK error in the compile log. The best way to find the leak is by going to Map>Load Pointfile. You will then see a red line drawn on your map. This line may be several lines joined together in any formation. Follow it to see what is causing the leak. 9/10 times this is a flawless procedure.