Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

New Metal Gear Solid Map ze_shadow_moses

Discussion in CS:S Zombie Escape started by Psycho Mantis, Apr 6, 2012

1. Mar 31, 2012
    My friend and i are obsessed with metal gear solid, (you could proably tell by our names ^^). He uploaded this map he made on to gamebanana.
    http://www.gamebanana.com/csszm/maps/164841
    Its still in alpha and theres an overflow, but all the areas are there. So what do you think? Some people, (probably 13 years old whose first console is an xbox 360 lol) have critisised the textures for being ugly . Bear in mind the textures are taken from a nearly 15 year old ps1 game, and i think it has a ps1 era feel to it ^^
    • Like Like x 1
    • Mar 30, 2012
      I find it kinda funny that people asked me if I could make a map what would it be? I decided on shadow moses island. Your friend better make it as awesome as I imagined mine would be! I want to fight Metal Gear at the end!
    • Mar 31, 2012
      Fight metal gear!?, what a bit like bahamut in mako! i guess you could ask hannibal or kaemon, we don't know how to model or do advanced things like that. In this map you get to metal gear rex's hangar and activate a switch which nukes everything in the map except the upper level of the mg rex hangar. The textures are taken from the game itself. We literally played mgs1 on epsxe emulator, faced a wall and screen capped it lol
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Alright, let me be one of the first to admit. Well done, a lot better than before.

Still, adding music to the map feels a tad bit obnoxious. And there needs to be a larger variety of textures, as I was cruising around the map, I remembered a good chunk of that game and I gotta say, I remembered almost everything on this map. (You might want to consult a more experienced mapper to split it into parts, the map is reeaaaally long)

Add in a few elevators and spruce up the textures and make the hold points easier on the humans and you've got yourself a damn good map

also: Nostalgia trip
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Clam basically beat me to it. Just got finished and yea, split it up just a little, maybe add a little bit more pizzazz, and make the hold points just a little easier. Honestly the current textures are fine, he just needs a little bit more variety.
    • Mar 31, 2012
      Here are the list of things to do in my opinion
      - OPTIMISE (theres still overflow)
      - Make the cave area and canyon area more natural looking, instead of just flat perpedicluar angles
      -fix water graphical bug
      -balance hold points

I dont think elevators are a good idea especially on that huge downwards slide area, the zombies would just jump onto the humans
    • Feb 20, 2011
      Looks promising, I'd definitely play, I remember Metal Gear on PS1.
    • Mar 31, 2012
      We tried to optimise it by combining brushes but it just made stuff disappear and be glitchy, any mappers out there feel free to help us out and edit things BUT DON'T TOUCH THE SIG
    • May 15, 2011
      Read up here. It's a wiki thing dedicated to Optimization and should help with making your map faster. As for combining brushes, what do you mean by that? Are you selecting blocks of world and creating func_detail's with them? I don't wuite understand what you mean by that.
    • Feb 18, 2011
      May I suggest using MGS4 Shadow Moses as a reference for your textures (higher quality textures) which will still give the experience of MGS without feeling like it is 1999 again.

Same idea with the music, because nowadays every ZE map makes your ears bleed. MGS4 music is softer which makes the experience less ZOMG and more zomg.

Other than that and the few suggestions that have been (and more that probably will be) posted. You are awesome for bringing MGS to ZE.
    • Mar 31, 2012
      Well i dont have mgs4 or a ps3 :frown: and we wanted to create a nostaligic 1999 feeling lol