Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

new project is done

Discussion in Completed Maps started by cuttylicious, Mar 26, 2018

1. Oct 24, 2015
    Yeah exactly i couldn't find any point file logs or leaks but yeah if anyone wants the vmf and can take a crack at it just msg me.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Feb 24, 2011
      Sure, just PM me the .vmf when you have time.
    • Feb 24, 2011
      Alright, i'll answer here just for the sake for others to see and possibly to learn from it.
      I checked the compile log and saw a few things.

1) A leak:
      Code:
      0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10**** leaked ****
      Entity infodecal (2401.65 -1128.00 419.26) leaked!
      If you get a leak you'll see which entity is the possible cause + the position of that entity.
      You can click on:
      > Upper left corner
      > Map
      > Load Pointfile

Then a red line will appear in the map, showing you specifically where you have a leak.
      The red line always starts from the position of the leaked entity (which you see above).
      You can click on:
      > Upper left corner
      > View
      > Go to coordinates
      > Type in the position
      > OK
      In order to go to that leaked entity.

In this case i found it pretty quickly without doing so, here you can see the infodecal entity with the red line coming from it:

Here's the other side/below the staircase, the red line stops here in the middle of the black void:

The reason for your leak is the staircase being a func_detail:

Now i covered the bottom of the staircases (there's 2 of them with the same setup) with a world brush:

Then i compiled again and got:
      Code:
      ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
      **** leaked ****
      Entity prop_static (1472.00 -1595.00 222.00) leaked!
      Another entity is also leaking (it will only show one entity at a time, so you gotta keep trying again until all of them has been solved.

I loaded the pointfile again, now the red line has been updated/moved to the new leak position.
      I then found the problem pretty quickly, a prop lamp was placed too far into the ceiling:

The solution to this is pretty easy, either move it down or add a brush on top of it, like this:

I compiled again and found yet another leak, a decal is the cause this time.
      I redid the process, followed the line and could find this:

The wall is not properly covered up at this door, the red line moves through there easily.
      Easy fix:

I did a lot of recompiling and found a whole bunch of lamp props with the same issue.
      The solution is to always make sure the origin of the prop is inside a world brush/in the sealed world. (this goes for all entities, the origin must be INSIDE the world/a world brush to prevent leaks)

For now i lazily removed all props just to make sure there's no actual leaks in the walls/whatever.
      It compiles fine at last.

TL;DR:
      > Seal off the 2 staircase bottoms
      > Seal off the door seen above^
      > Move/Add brushes to the prop origins, there's a lot of props, but hopefully it won't be too much of a hassle

2) A microbrush:
      From the compile log:
      Code:
      Brush 10695: WARNING, microbrush
      Not way too serious i think, not sure if it gets removed or not, but take a look at it either way.
      > Upper left corner
      > View
      > Go to brush number
      > Type in the brush number (10695)
      Found it:
      It surely is a super tiny brush, i assume you cut the wall for this to form. Just remove it.

3) Invalid prop types:
      From the compile log:
      Code:
      Error! prop_static using model "models/props_junk/trashbin01a.mdl", which must be used on a dynamic entity (i.e. prop_physics). Deleted.
      Error loading studio model "models/props_junk/trashbin01a.mdl"!
      Error! prop_static using model "models/props/cs_militia/paintbucket01.mdl", which must be used on a dynamic entity (i.e. prop_physics). Deleted.
      Error loading studio model "models/props/cs_militia/paintbucket01.mdl"!
      Error! prop_static using model "models/props_junk/metal_paintcan001b.mdl", which must be used on a dynamic entity (i.e. prop_physics). Deleted.
      Error loading studio model "models/props_junk/metal_paintcan001b.mdl"!
      This means that the following props above^ have been removed/won't be seen ingame.
      Some props are only meant to be static/dynamic. Some props are only meant to be physics. (some things can be overriden through the _override ents, but that's about it)

Props that should be prop_physics:

Props that should be prop_static/prop_dynamic:

That's about it.
      Overall, the compile log shows pretty much anything that might be wrong. There's a lot of text, but the text is there to help you figure out what's wrong.
      I'll let you handle your own map from here, good luck!
      • Mapping King Mapping King x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Oct 24, 2015
        @Luffaren Appreciate the tips, this helps a lot for future maps and just in general. Also where is the attached file i'm noob..
        Post Merged, Jun 28, 2018
        zxcz
        Post Merged, Jun 28, 2018

uhm i can't delete my own messages dafuq??

Attached Files:

• Oct 24, 2015
        Well with the help of @Luffaren i think i fixed everything and hope everyone enjoys this map finally..

*crosses fingers*

@Brian

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
        • Mapping King Mapping King x 1