Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

New Server Incoming!

Discussion in News started by Ray, Jan 12, 2011

1. Dec 7, 2010
    General recommendations for load balancing NICs:

NIC #1:
    ZM1 - Populated mostly during daytime hours (high usage)
    ZE - Populated mostly during night time hours (mid usage)
    HS - Populated mostly during night time hours (mid usage)

NIC #2:
    ZM2 - Populated mostly during early morning/afternoon hours (very high usage)
    GG - Varying use throughout the day (mid usage)
    CM - Varies (low usage)
    MG - Varies (mid usage)

This should insure load balancing the distribution of network traffic.

I am assuming that you have already dedicated processor affinity (dedicated) settings for each server process. If you have not already done so, you should pair the host server app with a single core. Since Xenon processors have HT (Hyper-Threading) enabled, they should be adjacent with each core (i.e. thread 0, 1 = physical processor core 0, 2, 3 = physical processor core 1). In this example, 0 and 1 should be assigned to ZM1, 2 and 3 to ZM2, etc... With a total of 24 virtual processors and 12 cores, paring is important not to combine a physical process with a virtual one.

If you assign virtual process 0 to ZM1 and virtual process 1 to ZM2, you can just imagine the performance degradation with this combination...

I hope this helps.
  2. Mar 3, 2010
  3. Jun 4, 2006
    CM - custom maps. The server that's probably going to be taken down very soon.
  4. Aug 18, 2006
    While the NIC load distribution idea sounds great, I am not quite entirely sure how to set that up. We have several IP ranges that we use. ZM, ZM2, ZE, and GG are all on one IP range. The rest of the servers (MG, HnS, Customs) are on another. Each NIC currently has it's own assigned range. For example, we can have the 69.162.109.x and 74.63.217.x range on one NIC, and we would have the 208.115.208.x and another range on another NIC. To do this we would need to assign each individual IP to the NIC's as appropriately as possible to distribute load. Should be possible, but it would be very tricky. (Network configuration in Gentoo and Arch differ from other Linux Distros, IE Ubuntu, CentOS, Debian, etc.)

We do set the process affinity accordingly. We lock each server to their own dedicated core, seeing as how bastard SRCDS is single threaded, it wouldn't benefit from bouncing around the CPU's anyways. Currently we are using CPU cores 1-7 for our servers (0 is reserved for now. Dont ask why :tongue:smile:. The physical core ID ranges are 0-11 while the logical cores (HT) are 12-23. (I'm 98.7% sure of this, at least :huh:smile: I don't even want to think about how horribly SRCDS would run on a logical core. It would be asinine.

Sorry if this post doesn't make any sense... I'm brainfucked from the lack of sleep. Trying to see what else I can squeeze out of this server at the moment.
  5. Dec 7, 2010
    Thanks for reading my suggestions. Your response makes perfect sense.. Glad to hear that you have completely optimized your environment.

The only thing I can suggest for your NIC address binding situation is to use DNS to load balance the connections. Hopefully most people use named resolution rather than physical IP addresses.

Excellent job setting up your environment! I'm glad to be part of the pF community..
  6. Feb 1, 2011
    This indeed makes me happy! I can't wait >_<
  7. Jun 4, 2006
    No need to wait, it's already here! :thumbsup: (hence the uproar of future game server discussions)
  8. Feb 1, 2011
    LAWL! I mean that I can't wait to play tonight... I have to wait until I get out of class and it won't be until around 6pm :frown: