Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

New to Linux, what distro would you suggest?

Discussion in Software Sanctuary started by zenzr, Mar 25, 2013

1. Jul 8, 2012
    I have been reading about Linux, and I had Ubuntu dual booted with Windows 8 on my laptop for a while. I was not impressed and thought it was probably just my laptop that was making it slow. Would anyone be willing to suggest other ones that I could try? I already have Linux Mint to try, I just wanted some more ideas from anyone willing to put in their 2 cents. Thanks guys.
  2. Nov 11, 2011
    You were not impressed with Ubuntu? :struggle: Ummh ok. Well, you can always run FC, RH, SW as well.
  3. Jul 8, 2012
    I liked it, but knowing me I probably did something wrong on install. It just seemed to respond slow. Perhaps I'll give it another shot lol.
  4. Nov 11, 2011
    Ubuntu 12 is crapware and super shitty IMO. They are trying too hard with their GUI to make it super user friendly. Install Ubuntu 10, that was the best.
  5. Jul 8, 2012
  6. Apr 9, 2007

Try LUbuntu if you're new. Synaptic is your friend, their market is crapware. Try using the terminal for simple actions to get more proficient with the operating system. Arch is a nightmare now.
  7. Jan 21, 2011
    With 13.04, they'll have a gnome version for those who don't like the unity interface.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
  8. Jun 11, 2012
    Yeah Ubuntu 12 is slugish and I would only recommend if your hardware can handle it or you find a way to optimize it. I kinda had to use Ubuntu 12 for my home server but I only install the Ubuntu 12.04 Server, it comes with no UI so everything is done within the shell. You can then install whatever UI you want. I loved the 10 version because even with the UI it worked on my Intel Core 2 Duo with 1GB memory. They changed that damn UI so much that I hate looking at it.

However I haven't even used the UI in like 8months since I'm always ssh into it from whatever OS I'm on.
  9. Nov 11, 2011
    And this.
  10. Mar 20, 2011
    I just ran Ubuntu 12.x in my VM and it flies. Guess it depends on what hardware you have... I do have a client who is running version 10 on a industrial controller computer and it runs just fine, even with a Flash on IDE module which is slow as fuck.
  11. Jul 23, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Churma, unfortunately, we don't spend $12k on our computer setup. But great thought! :sarcastic:
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Jul 8, 2012
        Yeah I don't quite have that kind of salary lol.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Feb 18, 2011
        • Jul 8, 2012
          After trying both Mint and Lubuntu I like both. Now time to experiment with them. Thanks for the suggestions guys. :thumbsup:
          • Like Like x 1
          • Jul 8, 2012
            Thought maybe I'd bump this as I just installed Ubuntu 13.04, and I have to say after spending some time to learn it before judging it, I like it quite a bit.

Edit: I got Steam installed. It might not be much, but this is completely new for me so I feel accomplished.
            Zenzr, May 4, 2013 Last edited by zenzr, May 4, 2013
          • Feb 27, 2012
            I'm testing out Ubuntu 13.04 as well. I tried counter strike on it, and it runs horribly. Idk if its steam and the game, or if it's Ubuntu 13.04. I have to turn my graphics down lower than in Windows 8, and i still only get like 40-80 fps. In windows 8 with everything cranked up, i get 300 fps. Once my frame rate drops below 40 fps, i get about a 1 second input lag from my keyboard and mouse. Ubuntu isn't that great for gaming yet from what i've experienced. Hopefully it gets better.
          • Jul 8, 2012
            I haven't been able to install CS:S yet, I was looking into LoL. Probably going to get the same kind of FPS loss, though I'm not sure. Worth a shot at least.
          • Feb 27, 2012
            It would be nice to know if it's something i did, or if it is just the game. Try it out and let me know D:
          • Jul 8, 2012