Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

New toy I picked up earlier

Discussion in Entertainment started by Reaper, Aug 27, 2011

1. Jan 5, 2007
    Sister was in town visiting due to a voluntary evacuation from her base in Delaware, so we decided to check out one of the local gun shops. Well, they happened to have the rifle I've been looking for in stock, and were down to their last one. So after spending about an hour talking with the guy there about different firearms and sports, I decided to bite the bullet and ask about purchasing the one I wanted. We took it over to the main counter to get it ready while I filled out the 4473 for the background check. Everything cleared, I handed over the cash, and was out the door with no problems. Got home and decided to snap a few pictures of it fresh out of the box. Right now I don't have anything to add to it, so it probably looks a little boring.

But without delaying further, here's my new range toy.
    [Picture quality is poor since I used the camera on my phone.]

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I didn't pick up any ammo with it unfortunately, but I plan on buying some online when I order some optics, new stock/grip, and a bipod. I'll probably buy a few ammo types to see exactly what this thing prefers to eat, since I've heard she can be a picky one. :thumbsup:
  2. Aug 18, 2006
  3. Jan 5, 2007
    Yeah, I can't wait until I get to shoot it. I plan on picking up a Magpul stock and grip, and I'm still debating between a 3-9x scope or a 1x red dot. I guess it depends on what I can find for a reasonable price.

The guy at the shop was right with what he said. He calls the rail on ARs the "money rail" and I can see why. :razz:
  4. Jul 20, 2010
    Watch out for looters! Nice looking rifle :razz:.
  5. Jun 11, 2011
    Holy shit haha :grin:, Just dont shoot me :razz:
  6. Jan 5, 2007
    Haha, good thing I don't ever need to worry about looters here. Western PA for the win.

Did I mention we have very few restrictions on guns here? :thumbsup:

lol

I don't plan on ever shooting another person. The only time I would ever think of that is if someone breaks into the house and I feel that deadly force is required to protect myself and my family. And if it comes to that, whoever is breaking in better hope I miss.
  7. Jun 22, 2011
    Yeah I want to pick up some AR-15 style rifle, probably .223 caliber. But .22LR is very affordable. I use a Walther P22 for my plinking, very fun handgun.
  8. Jan 5, 2007
    Yeah, on the wall they had a couple used M&P15s next to this one, but I figured I would go for the 15-22 instead. Like you said, .22LR is extremely affordable(3-6 cents per round) compared to something like a .223 rifle. Plus, anything I use on this can easily be used on another AR-15 rifle.
  9. Jun 22, 2011
    Very true, thats why I love the rail system.. so awesome.
  10. Jan 5, 2007
    Even some of the internals can be swapped out with an AR-15, such as the trigger assembly. They really built this rifle pretty well, since it's also used by military and police as a low-cost training tool.

I think I'm settled on going with a 3-9x scope, but now I just need to decide on a good one. The new grip, stock, AFG, and rail covers are going to cost about $150, so I'd probably only want to spend $100-$150 on the scope for now. I still haven't decided fully on getting a bipod or not, since that would mean I'd have to buy some 10rnd shorty mags.

I'll probably buy them anyways, since you can never have too many mags. :tongue:
  11. Feb 21, 2007
    its a .22, you dont need a bipod! Get a nice red dot optics with a 4x scope u can attach infront of it, and you will be all set
  12. Jun 23, 2010
    I want to get one of those :0 But for Paintball or something :razz:
  13. Jan 5, 2007
    Pulling off a good 200 yard grouping with a .22LR is pretty tricky if you don't fire from a bench or stable position. I was thinking of getting a grip-pod with a bipod in the base of the foregrip, but I've heard they can be unstable at times. As for the scope or red dot, I thought about getting a magnifier to mount infront of the red dot, but those can end up costing more than the optics themselves.

I have an AK-47 airsoft rifle that has hardly ever been used. Family bought it back in WA as a gift, and after playing with it for a few days it got put back in the box and shelved. Never really messed with paintball, so I can't comment on it. As far as different types of shooting goes though, I think I'll stick with rifles.
  14. Feb 12, 2011
  15. Jul 20, 2010
  16. Jul 13, 2011
    i'm american and i don't like guns, does that make me a pussy?
  17. Jul 20, 2010
  18. Jan 5, 2007
    Forgive me for enjoying something that our founding fathers considered a right that every citizen of this nation should have. If you have problems with citizens having the right to bear arms, then by all means continue living in your nanny state where you are spoon-fed whatever the government allows you. It saddens me just how much a lot of today's politicians want to restrict our rights and freedoms. Have any of them considered just how many jobs the firearm industry provides, which the removal of would kill our economy even further than it already is? But this is not a topic to discuss politics and such, so please keep that out of here.

On that note, I would definitely recommend this rifle to anyone, be it experienced shooters or just beginners. It has relatively low weight for a rifle due to the polymer receivers, but with it only be .22LR you don't have very much recoil at all. It's very easy to clean and maintain, and from what I've heard from other owners, it can even go with only cleaning every few thousand rounds fired. I still haven't had a chance to shoot mine yet, but I absolutely love how easy it is to handle and operate. Definitely not a wasted purchase by any means.
  19. Feb 12, 2011
    Guns are, and will always be nothing more than a tool to kill. I still don't see what pleasure people get of it.
  20. Jan 5, 2007
    Competition, plinking, collecting pieces of history, hunting as a living(not everyone lives in towns and cities), etc. Firearms are merely a tool, and should be treated as such. Labeling them as "evil" is completely ignorant, since the only thing responsible for a weapon killing someone is the person that is holding said weapon in their hands.

Personally, I find firearms interesting and would love to start collecting "historic" firearms. I'm tempted to head back to the gun shop in the next few weeks and buy one of the M1As they had on the shelf, as well as a 1911A1. Getting both of those would definitely be neat, since the family already owns a M1 Garand and M1 Carbine. I would absolutely love to eventually own one of every firearm used during WW2.