Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

New truckle

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Grape, Feb 22, 2015

1. Oct 24, 2013
    So I've got a large sum of money to buy myself a nice truck. I don't really feel like spending over 30k but if I see something under 50 I like, I'll perhaps get it. Since I'm 6' 5" I need something with some leg room because I'm tired of driving little people cars.
    I'm not too concerned about the make but I do want something with a fair amount of cab space and a good sized bed.
    It's kind of redundant with a large truck but I'd like some good gas mileage too since I'm always traveling long distances around the state.

The only thing I ask is this doesn't turn into a pissing match between fords, chevys, toyotas or dodge.
  2. Aug 7, 2012

[IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
    • Feb 27, 2012
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Aug 7, 2012
        best truck ever according to top gear :grin:
      • Oct 24, 2013
        DAMN IT TONY, I KNEW AS SOON AS SOMEBODY SAID TOYOTA!
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Feb 27, 2012
        • Aug 7, 2012
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Feb 8, 2013
            If anything, I'd get a Tundra because I love the 3UZ, but that's because I'd drop it in a Supra. I'm about to get an s2000 and drop a viper's heart into it one day.
          • Dec 17, 2007
          • Oct 24, 2013
            Lol we need another thread for you pricks with the Calvin stickers on your truck.
            You know who you are.
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Dec 17, 2007
              you can combine it w/the stick family stickers thread

What type of truck are you thinking about getting, gas or diesel?
              • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
              • Oct 24, 2013
                I didn't even think about diesel. That's a good thing to check out too.

I think if I found a good diesel truck it would probably be even better since they are more efficient.
              • Oct 13, 2011
                1. It is no longer dirty.
                2. More power on trucks
                3. Audi R18 is diesel (good reason2buy)
                4. Better Mpg than regular gas.
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Oct 24, 2013
                  Well those are good reasons, though I don't think I can drive that r18 to the job sites.
                • Jan 21, 2011

What are you wanting to do with the truck?
                • Oct 24, 2013
                  Well since I have an ample amount of money (not bragging just matter of recent circumstance) I have been wanting a truck I can throw things into the back of it and carry large amounts of work tools.
                  The other thing is I'm tired of having to drive my car if I want some slight speed and joy riding, then switching to my van for hauling around tons of wire, ladders, shovels, etc.

So I'd like the truck to have the ability to have some kick to it while also having ample cab and bed room. It would be pretty cool if I could pull an 18 foot trailer to take my mom's boat out for her.
                  It doesn't have to have every single bell and whistle but since I'm buying my first brand new vehicle it'd be cool if it had that comfort element to it since I'm pretty tall and do a lot of driving.
                  I think it would be cool to be able to sit at least four people in the back though.

I think the two biggest things I want right now are comfort and some kick, which I'm leaning more towards a diesel truck for.
                • Jan 21, 2011
                  Well a half ton truck should pull that just fine. Only dodge is putting diesels in their half tons currently and they ride pretty nice iirc. I'm not a fan of Chrysler transmissions myself though but it doesnt seem to be as much of an issue as it used to be.

If you want more towing power, go with a 3/4 ton truck. The big three all offer diesel on their 3/4 tons so it's up to you what you want there. Going out and test driving them would be the best way to tell which one you like.
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • Oct 24, 2013

Thanks
                  • Jan 21, 2011
                    Also, in terms of kick, the ecoboost 3.5L has some good torque to it from what I've read. I'm a bit hesitant about the new F150's though since they are aluminum because I think the repair costs will be much higher than the older trucks which have steel bodies. The 2014 F150 ecoboost may be worth a look with those things considered.

Chevy puts the 6.2L in its upper range half tons which has some kick too, but gas mileage suffers due to the higher displacement. I've got an 05 silverado 3/4 ton with the older 6L in it, and its got plenty of kick. A newer version of that engine in a smaller truck probably has even more.

Just so I cover all the bases in terms of truck options:
                    Nissan Titan - plagued with transmission issues, bad gas mileage

Toyota Tundra - I call it a 5/8 ton truck since it hauls more than a standard half ton due to its rear end, but gets worse gas mileage than the Chevy, Ford, and Dodge.
                  • Feb 27, 2012