Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

New Zombie Skins For Admins

Discussion in CS:S Zombie Mod started by Nayr, May 30, 2013

1. Apr 24, 2012
    I think it would be cool if we had some new Zombie skins to choose from :smile:
  2. Mar 1, 2012
    Cool, yes. Necessary or happening? No. We don't need to increase download times.
  3. Apr 9, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Apr 24, 2012
    • May 31, 2012
      Even if a new one came out I would still use the half zombie lol; there is already a good selection :evilgrin:
    • Jul 14, 2010
      2 reasons why there are not more is due to download size. Skins right now are usually below ~2 MB to keep time short so new players get in quick and don't have to wait 5 minutes downloading on other servers. A 2nd reason is the skin plugin can only have a max selection of a few skins, and I'm pretty sure Brian said they ran out of slots, which means new skins would have to replace old skins, and there aren't really any good skins out there that pF doesn't have that are small. If you found some high quality, low size skins and wanted them to replace say the heavy zombie we have now, it could probably be arranged, but there really aren't any out there probably. Plus we like to keep the zombie theme, so skins such as aliens and masterchief etc, are not really the pF zombie theme.
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Feb 9, 2012
        people shouldnt really be taking 5 minutes to download 2 mb >_>.. like any new maps, a few time taken away for new ''content'' is always worth it. but if the slots are already full, then yes there isnt an expected need to add new skins i guess.
      • Jul 8, 2012
        Not everyone has lightning fast internet, it's the idea not that exact example.
      • Feb 9, 2012
        it's hardly fast internet. some people have 150 kb/sec speeds and with that, it would only be about 14 seconds to download the model.
        Even my $19.99/month internet plan gives me a download speed of 4 mb/sec. so im sure even a 150 kb/sec internet speed plan should be affordable for many people.
        it's not like ur downloading it everytime u join, but rather just once and ur done with it. anyways my point was that for a few extra time, it should be worth it for additional content if do-able

Most new players joiining the server arent exactly spending a lot of time downloading the server's content but rather more time downloading the maps.
      • Jul 8, 2012
        Oh I understand, was not meant as an attack on you or anything. It just from what I understand unless the new skins bring something different/new to the stage and aren't similar to anything we have, we won't probably won't use them. I think we may be at the max for skin slots though if I remember right from someone above.

It really doesn't matter what they spend time on downloading, it's more the fact that the goal is to minimize download times needed, is it not?
      • Feb 9, 2012
        yes you are right, but like any new addition to the game (like say a new map), we have to sacrafice the time anyways in order to enjoy it. and yes i know it wasnt an attack, i just wanted to to clarify what i meant by my first statement.
      • Jul 8, 2012
        Of course, but some might not think a new skin is really needed.

I guess it comes down to the fact of if we even have skin slots open, if not then no point in discussing further lol.
      • Feb 9, 2012
        yeh but just in case we get additional slots or have one open, i just wanted to say that we can't just strike down the idea of a new skin because of file size, as it is miniscule compared to many things we download in the server.
      • Jun 11, 2012
        I'm going to make a skin is going to be a Alien Xenomorph Master Chief Juggernaut with pink colour and he will look freaking Fabulous....oh it will be 1GB big
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Feb 3, 2012
        • May 31, 2012
          Every last little bit counts in my opinion. Download through steam is real slow so even if the change in size is small it will make a noticeable difference (at least I know this to be true for my laptop).
        • Feb 1, 2011
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Apr 9, 2007
            We removed all skins that contained errors. Emo Chick, Body Bag, and Doom all had them. I have an idea in the works, but its just an idea.
            • Informative Informative x 3
            • Like Like x 2
            • Apr 24, 2012
            • Oct 11, 2012
              Some ISPs drop your speed after downloading files above a certain size. As an example you may get 27 MBps, but after the first 5mb of the file being downloaded they reduce you to say <10 MBps. (numbers for example)

Also, a good bit of the USA in rural areas is still on dial up believe it or not. Regardless new maps > new skins.