Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Nut and Bolt Clock

Discussion in Creativity started by Tony the Tiger!! :D, Apr 24, 2013

1. Feb 27, 2012
    I really enjoy anything to do with manufacturing (welding, machining, milling, etc.) and i recently got a Silver Medal for precision machining where for the milling part, you had to make the shape that they gave you the drawing of. You have to square the block out perfectly square (really long and annoying process), Mill a 45 degree angle, carefully mill a key-way in the middle of it, put 2 drills, and then make another key-way all the way across the base of it. It's much harder than it sounds, and it gets very annoying once you forget the math you were counting in your head. For the Lathe piece, you had to make a shape that look like a rotating center with all sorts of angles, tapers, and drills on it. Both pieces are much harder to make than they sound.

Anyways, on to the point. I recently made this for a project that my shop teacher told me to do. You start out with a round 2 inch in diameter piece of Aluminum, at 4 1/4 inches length. You have to take it down to 4 inches, then parallel turn 3 inches of it to a diameter of 1 inch. Once that is done, you have to mill a hex on the head of the bolt, like any other bolt would look like. After that, you stick it back in the lathe and do the threads lining up the high speed steel cutting tool perfectly with the bolt. Changing various levers on the lathe, you have to set up so it cuts 8 threads per inch. Carefully, you keep track of exactly when to start by watching a dial on the lathe, and as soon as it gets to that number (in my case it was the number 4) you push down the auto feed lever and it cuts the thread. You have to do this about 6 times until it is deep enough for the nut to screw on. Now on the nut, you cut it at about 1 1/4 inches, then end face it down to 1 inch. You then go through it with a drill, which i think was 7/8. After you drill through, you start doing internal threads the same as done with the bolt. You then mill the hex on the mill like with the bolt (we have a little jig that we use so we can mill it properly). Back to the bolt, you start to drill a short hole in the face of the bolt with a 7/8 drill bit, only going about a half inch deep after the taper of the bit. Now comes the math. Your hole is 7/8 big, which converts into .875 inches (7 divide by 8). You then have to take a boring bar and bore the hole out to 1.360 inches EXACTLY. The clock will be going in there, so if it's a little bit bigger of a hole, you're screwed. You could go about .005 too big and you'd be safe, but any more and the clock won't stay in. So many people mess up at this part and bore it out too much. I got that shit dead on 1.360 inches , and my teacher couldn't believe it when he measured it. Lastly (other than polishing) i had to put chamfers on the corners of the bolt and nut to make it look a little nicer. The polishing was the worst because you had to do it all by hand since the sides were hexed and not round, so you couldn't stick it in the lathe at a high RPM and wrap emery cloth/scotch brite around it and polish it really fast. It took 3-4 classes (about an hour each) to polish it up completely. I polished out every single nick and scratch that was on it. Finally, this is the end product. The pictures suck, i know, but i was using my phone D:

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 1
    • Wizard! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Artistic x 1
    • Feb 8, 2013
      Well, does that shit actually work? :dontknow:
    • Feb 27, 2012
      Yes, the clock works entirely. It just slides right into the face of it.
    • Jul 8, 2012
      That's fucking awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Feb 3, 2012
        That's fucking sick. :nerd:
      • Dec 27, 2012