Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

OBD2 Scanners

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Drunk Cat, Oct 11, 2013

1. Oct 13, 2011
    What is an OBD2 scanner ?

OBD stands for on-board diagnostics. OBD systems gives you access to the status of the most sub-systems.

Will it work with my vehicle ?

Most vehicles build after 1996 support OBD2, however you should check your vehicle to be sure.

What is the difference between OBD 1 and OBD 2 ?

Go here

Why should I have this scanner with me ?

Well firstly, if you don't know much about cars this device can show you what is wrong with your car. Also you can't always find a mechanic near you when your car suddenly stops or starts making a noise.

What is so cool about this ?

There is an application called Torque for Android smartphones. You can see what is your car doing in real time.

Screenshot_2013-10-09-17-33-36 Screenshot_2013-10-03-13-22-21 Screenshot_2013-10-09-17-34-09

How fault codes will look like ?

Couple weeks ago my manager had a problem with his car. He told me it was idling roughly, after scanning the car it turned out the problem was catalytic converter. (And also this application lets you Google fault codes.)

Screenshot_2013-10-03-13-19-26 Screenshot_2013-10-03-13-20-32

Torque pro.

Screenshot_2013-10-11-22-05-12[1] Screenshot_2013-10-11-22-12-31[1]

Where can I buy this thing ?

I bought it from this seller. Also, you can find it in amazon.

The device costs about $15.
    Paid application is $5. There is also a free one.

After all, I really like using this application. I mostly use it for real-time readings and for my MPG but you can also:

Check your engine status.
    Turn off engine check light.
    Calculate your MPG.
    Test your vehicle.
    Check a car before buying. (Mechanics usually ask for $30-50)
    Real-time readings.
    And many more!

I'm not sure if Torque pro is available for iOS. I checked from my iPad and it seems like most OBD2 scanner apps are not free and expensive ($20-50).
  2. Nov 11, 2011
    I've sold several OBD and OBD2 ABS and SRS scanners that have built in displays. So all this device does is be really small in size and requires a phone to output the results?
  3. Dec 7, 2012
    OBD2 scans OBD1/ OBD1 does not scan OBD2 (OBD2 has updated software for old and newer vehicles ). You can buy a OBD2 scanner in almost any auto part store like Autozone, Napa, Pep Boys, Sears etc. Buying a OBD2 scanner loaded w/ PGM-FI, ABS, SRS, or even one that shows data list is useful. You can buy a hand held OBD2 scanner for as low as $50. The only feathers you really need from a OBD2 scan tool is PGM-FI, Transmission, SRS and ABS. Hope this help!:wink:
    [pF] ghosted, Oct 12, 2013 Last edited by [pF] ghosted apples, Oct 12, 2013
  4. Jan 21, 2011
    Well this is neat. I've got a scan gauge II in my truck that I have set up to show my torque, current mpg, avg mpg for the trip, and coolant temperature and I like it.
  5. Oct 13, 2011
    Yup all you need is a smartphone with a Bluetooth connection.
    That is true, there are more scanners that shows more data than this one. However, I've never seen a scanner with real time readings before. This is mostly why I like this device and application.