Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Old rank system re-instated

Discussion in CS:S Zombie Mod started by adinsx, May 22, 2012

1. Sep 7, 2010
    Back a few years ago, zombie mod had a great rank system that not only tracked score; but would track K : D ratios. I feel that the current rank system poorly represents actual player ranks. I believe that a few would agree that to actually track true rank within our beloved game it requires deaths being recorded. Currently the rank system in place only records score, meaning the 1 score a zombie attains (often at greater difficulty) vs the 3, or 5 (mother zombie kill) that a ct gains, compiled with (i have not personally verrified this for myself, but perhaps someone can verify) the map based bonus score; EX: the 1000 points gained in atix for the secret entry into the bomb zone truly perverts what a rank system is for. I truly miss rank/top10. I understand there may be a important reason why that was changed; however I would love to see some feedback and opinons on this subject.

PS: unless my memory fails me a single zombie kill as a human would be logged as 1 kill just the same as a zombie, which truly makes sense.

Thanks for reading :smile:
  2. Oct 17, 2011
    I actually told Brian and asked him in a personal conversation and he said they are looking into one and yes game tracker sucks ass. I want a good rank system that counts real kills for zm. I think I remember seeing multiple threads of this and I remember that the rooters said it made a big issue back then I think.
  3. Sep 7, 2010
    Yes, i also remember hearing of the issues it caused; but if it is possible to somehow work it out- i think it would .. well.. kick ass.

Edit: Also, it is such a great way to stroke your e-peen by typing top 10 :ROFL:
  4. Nov 11, 2011
    How many times are we going to bring up this subject? There are literally dozens of threads about this and it has been beaten to death time and time again. PF doesn't have a rank system due to many reasons discussed earlier and Gametracker is the only site that people really go to to check their stats. It records the score and time played based on an alias (sajak is not the same as sajak-) and not steamID or sessionID. So if mappers make a 1000 point secret like in atix and one executes it, Gametracker will record the score bonus as kills, it can't distinguish between the two. As far as fairness in the points category, it is fair from the following POV: The zombies have abilities that humans do not have (larger jump/higher jumper, speed, knockback, 3000HP all the way to current HP + 1000*n kills, etc). The humans have 100HP and die with one stab and if they are cading together and one gets stabbed, chances are the rest are dying too. So from this POV, it makes sense that humans get more points for killing zombies than zombies do for killing humans.
  5. Sep 7, 2010
    The humans have guns, and go to spots that can be defended. Super high scores come from a human farming zombies in one good spot. As many players can admit, they will usually get most of their score solely from one or two good rounds of simply farming nib zombies. As for this being posted numerous times, I applogize; however one could say that the fact of many people posting about it would possibly .. just maybe.. mean it is important.

Have you ever gotten 20 kills solely from zombie kills? Have you ever blown past 70 kills as a human?
    Thank you sajak for your thoughts

Edit: 1v1 zombie vs human, who would win(given the ct knows how to control his spray)?
    adinsx, May 22, 2012 Last edited by adinsx, May 22, 2012
  6. Nov 11, 2011
    I detect a lot of sarcasm and that's maybe because I came off as being rude when I didn't intend to be. The point you're trying to make crumbles as soon as zombies work together as a team. Even the best of spots can be taken if zombies work together. Granted, that rarely happens on a large scale but it does happen when the right players decide to do so. And to answer your questions, in 4-6 rounds on a map as a zombie, I do go way past 20 kills as a zombie. It's not hard, especially in the smaller maps that we frequently play. On larger maps, its not as easy to accrue points. 70 kills as a human rarely occurs for me, it's mostly happens in zm_officespace when it does. Other maps, it's not so easy.
  7. Sep 7, 2010
    #1 baracade for a human = mass zombies. Teamwork? Rarely. I am not being sarcastic, and I do value your opinon. As for the "go way past 20 zombie kills" - as a jest, I say "no pics, no proof sir" :smile:

Added note: For the non donator zombies, the challenge is even more severe. They have no health regen, nor special abilities given to donators. (aside from mother zombies ofc) While humans only suffer minor jump hindrance which really doesn't hurt in most situations, and fall damage.
  8. Apr 9, 2007
    I'm on my phone so I didn't read the entire thread. But since this is going no where again ( @Brian ) remind me and I'll write the same basic thing that we had before.
    • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
    • Sep 7, 2010
      That would be awesome, if there is anything I can do I will.
    • Mar 25, 2012
      hi. i would like to voice my opinion as to why there should be a kill to death ratio rank system.

the current rank system for zombie mod server 1 which is game tracker, can be found here:
      http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/69.162.109.180:27015/

how game tracker works is it counts total points at the end of the round. it doesn't even count deaths (at all actually), it just counts play time and score. now score is a funny thing, because score doesn't necessarily mean kills. if you are a zombie, for example, and you kill human, you get one point. if however you are a human and you kill a regular zombie, you get 3 points. and if you are a human and kill a mother zombie, you get 5 points. counting points like this isn't exactly fair because players that are good as human rack up a lot more points than players that are just good as a zombie for the same amount of kills.

another problem with counting points is that in some maps, you get absolutely free points for doing some sort of secret. An example is the Atix_helicopter map where you can perform some secret technique (i dont know what it is but there is videos) and you get 1000 points for free. another example is Mario's map minicity, where you can get increments of 100 points (im not too sure the exact amount) for every secret that you unlock.

now all these free points from secrets are fine, except they actually count in the game tracker rankings. this means that if you get 1000 points in atix_helicopter it goes towards your score. this actually results in people farming the maps for points, similarly to how people farm MMO games for items and such. A player dopescope, for example, has been noted in the past to join a game of atix_helicopter, ignore EVERYTHING about the game and just get the 1000 points every round, and then leave, not caring what map is next. It's almost a competition to see who has the most points. but the points aren't coming from skilled kills, they are coming from map secrets. Here is a screenshot of the top 25 players in zombie mod. the players at the top got most of their point with free secrets.

[IMG]

one player in particular got 33.6 k points in ONE DAY. infact, he got it in under 2 hours. this is almost more than i have in 570 hours of playing in the server, and certainly more than most players will ever get.

[IMG]

now personally I actually dont have a problem with this rank system. i think it fills the need of SOME players, and they enjoy competing with eachother to see who has the most points. but the problem here is that it alienates others players who want a kill to death ratio rank system. I dont think that gametracker should even be removed, but I do think that just by itself it's not enough.

in the past there was a !rank system, but apparently it died or had problems. well, there definitely is a demand for one, and every other zombie mod server i join (any css server at all actually, besides plaguefest) does have a regular rank system. maybe if one rank system was bad, then we should try another. i dont know the technical details, but im sure with a bit of effort and some attempts we can put a kill to death rank system on. until then there's just going to be more people complaining.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Nov 11, 2011
        @Kyle don't you wish you had locking abilities... oh wait, you do! :arrogant:
      • Mar 25, 2012
        why lock the thread? just because you wouldn't want a rank system doesn't mean everyone else thinks the same way. and if as you say there has been dozens of threads for a !rank system, don't you think there is a sizeable demand for one?
      • Nov 11, 2011
        Demand means nothing when you have technical issues with implementing it. Management has made it clear that a internal rank system will only be implemented when they have the time to do so. That's why they have responded the same way everytime a thread has been opened about a rank system. I am certain that anyone who opens another thread regarding this subject will end up getting warned not to do it again. It is considered spam when the topic has been discussed numerous times by root admins.
      • Nov 16, 2011
        Alright I'm going to voice my opinion here. I absolutely hate rank keeping systems and score tracking stuff. I am a very competitive gamer as much as I hate to admit it. One of my top ten fears is that I will find players that are drastically better than me, and when people are beating me in score and K/D. I know that sounds stupid but it is completely true. I specifically like PlagueFest because it does not have a ranking system. And this really does not tell you much, there are players, such as pass, that are incredibly good but don't play the servers 24/7. You could get a player that is only 75% as good as they are and plays more than them, and they would have a better place in the system in no time what so ever. That is my opinion.
      • Oct 17, 2011
        I never recognized what game tracker was. I was rank nb 5 before I knew secrets were real points and never knew they add to the rank until then when I had 57000 and more kills on gamtracker and became rank 3, I recognized that atox secrets points work for real. Now I have done the secret for like 16 times so that counts as 16000 points and minicity:14000 fake points. Makes 30000 fake points. I have been playing zm for 3 years now so my real score should be between 65000 and 70000. Grapaham limcoln counts all his points as all secret atis fake points. So you guys can count me as rank 2 because not all of this score that I have is fake and 3 years:70000 kills is usually nothing. I hope we can get a new tracker.
      • Sep 7, 2010
        actually a k : d system would base their rank based on the ratio found with kills to death, meaning someone who logs in and plays for one round.. gets 40 kills and 0 deaths, they would actually be very high on the rank system, even vs someone who has 2k kills but 1k deaths... for example it becomes a decimal based score, such as 50k 50 deaths = .5, and 100k 0 d = 1

As long as it remains a civil, respectful, and progressive discussion there is no reason to close it- unless i am mistaken
      • Nov 16, 2011
        Once again, this system wouldn't work well on MG. The mg server has multigame maps where if you win you get a gun and 20 kills per round. Thats pretty easy to get.
      • Jul 19, 2011
        HOLY SHIT is that even possible?? wtf lol....... Anyhow, I agree that the secrets should not be included in this system. The legends (jzx, majoryoon, and maybe harvey) should be recognized and not pushed to the bottom of a cheap knockoff list. That is from the respect perspective, but from my perspective screw ranks. who cares if ur #1? You will be recognized as a good player by others, not a list.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Sep 7, 2010
          While I admit i know very little about the MG servers; I can say that the old system would not give credit for map based score gains. Perhaps I misunderstand, but also If one system doesn't correctly record rank on different types of game play; i believe it is possible to have a rank system dedicated to specific servers.

I agree with that, but it is very fun to watch your stats as you play. True accurate stats.

I would add nozgot(aka jake nasty), and Google to that list too (troll or not, he was pretty damn good)
        • Nov 16, 2011
          Those are not map given points. When you beat a minigame in a multigame map it often gives you a gun and teleports you into a room with all the other players, so it counts as kills.