Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

On Depression

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by epi1to10000, Feb 17, 2013

1. Feb 4, 2011
    http://plaguefest.com/threads/depression.8978/page-2
    but I don't have permission

Dr. Robert Sapolsky on Depression - Stanford University

via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAgplgTxfc

Depression/Anxiety is common source of crippling agony for many >30% of humanity. It is a genetic / neurological / environmental disease that no-one should be ashamed of nor should they be discriminated against for having a bout of depression / anxiety/ PTSD/ ect. Seeing a professional is instrumental in helping people recover and for prevention. Everyone could benefit from psych care at least at one point in there lives: even firefighters frequently have a psych support team for “Critical Incident Stress Debriefing”, group therapy, ect. I wish you the best of luck and hope anyone who could benefit from professional psych assistance/education is able to receive it.
    Edit: Typo
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
      epi1to10000, Feb 17, 2013 Last edited by epi1to10000, Feb 17, 2013
    • Nov 11, 2011
      I've had severe depression several times and I basically removed myself from everyone. It's basically a rollercoaster of emotions. I've never really thought of suicide, I just tough it out and make due with the hand I'm dealt. I'm glad I push through it but when it happens, it sucks dick. I've found my own way of cooping with it and it works. I have yet to watch that lecture but I've bookmarked it for later on, thank you :smile:.

EDIT: Might want to change the spelling of "depression" on the title before the grammar Nazi's roll around. :giggle:
    • Dec 6, 2011
      ITS DEPRESSION NOT DEPRESION YOU ILLITERATE F....
      oh, never mind.

Yeah it's some serious shit. I've taken up just going to gym every extra second I have. If this wasn't a problem for me, I'd probably just be one fat, lazy fuck.
    • Sep 14, 2008
      I've never really talked about it until after it happened. I suffered from some severe crippling depression. I literally suffered from Agoraphobia. I didn't leave my house for 2 years. I could barely leave my bedroom. It's a terrible affliction. I still get those days where I can't leave my house, but it's been so much better now. I can actually go out and have fun.
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Nov 11, 2011
        I've never had it that bad, I feel really sorry for you :rose:. I really hope you get over this hiccup in life. I don't know... for me, talking to people and watching documentaries about people who attempted suicide because they were so severely depressed but managed to somehow live, hearing their stories and testimonies are just heart breaking. I literally bawl my eyes out while watching them. It's a happy kind of sad because the survivors almost always have that one moment, right after they do it, where they realize "fuck... I want to live, what did I just do." That in itself should be enough for anyone to realize that life is worth living, you're only here for a short period of time before you go back into the Earth you're made of... why not enjoy it while you're here and make the best of it? You'll have an eternity to be depressed in the dirt. :pain:
      • Jul 8, 2012
        Yeah, I hit an extreme low last year. I started cutting, I didn't talk to anyone, and it was just bad. Do I regret what I did? Eh not really. But it's how I learned to deal with pain. for my entire life I've dealt with depression, and not really being accepted. It sucks. But Ever since being here at PF I've learned people don't care about who I was, only who I am.
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Sep 6, 2010
          Sad stories. Made me think there are a lot of sharks attracted to that bridge feeding on the bodies..
        • Feb 21, 2007

Depression affects alot of people, and unfortunately, the mind is a difficult thing to fix.
        • Nov 11, 2011
          Yeah, I guess nature has a way to complete its cycle.
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Sep 6, 2012
            Not going to lie. I thought about suiciding before because I felt like life isn't too bright for me. I was always alone, didn't really had any friends to watch my back, my parents always fight over money, people thought I was a nerd that likes to play games and watch anime..I didn't want to suffer.. Until last year, I was a senior at high school. After everyone got back from their winter break, my sociology teacher told the class the we all had to write a paper about our name on the first week we got back. We had to write about "What our name means, how did we get the name, do you live up to your name, do you define the meaning of your name or the name defines you, does the name make an impact to your life"(there were more questions.. but I couldn't remember :frownbig: ). Eventually we all had to share our stories and I told the whole class about my pain..about 40 people in the class during that day. I was worried people will spread rumors about me, but I had to do it for my grade. It was painful..embarassing, but in the end, the whole class gave me hug and said some cheerful words to make me feel better. There were sad stories from other people too. Eventually we all got to know the painful memories of every other person. Not to feel sympathy for others.. but getting to know each one another better since we all will eventually graduate and will someday..come back to think about the class and the people who shared the story to be apart of our memories is what my teacher said. Since after that day, I tossed the idea of suiciding away. Eventually I moved on. Just wanted to share my story because I felt this feeling before.
            • Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Like Like x 1
              Danmaku, Feb 19, 2013 Last edited by Danmaku, Feb 19, 2013
            • May 14, 2011
              • Agree Agree x 4
              • Sep 6, 2012
                • Like Like x 1
                • Nov 11, 2011
                  Unless there was a genuine reason, I personally don't think a grade would make me open up to my deepest emotions. But I'm glad you expressed your thoughts and emotions to your peers and received a positive response. Where I live and the people I know, expressing your emotions either means a) you're a faggot, b) you're emo, c) you're a faggot, or, d) all of the above. Even some of the people I've met online, they have nothing but negative things to say and I only share them with a handful of people for that reason. I've been antisocial since my senior year of high school and I've learned to just suppress my emotions. And since I've never had what one would call a legitimate relationship with a girl, I tend to go for girls that are depressed, suicidal, extremely shy, the ones that sit in the corner and avoid making eye contact with anyone... those are my types of girls. Because one way or another, I like to hear their stories and try to put a smile on their face because I know how tough it can be, and you have had to have gone through a similar situation to understand their mindset. I feel good inside when I help someone and who knows, maybe I'll help someone and actually have a healthy relationship in the long run.
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Feb 15, 2013
                    That's a bit manipulative, wouldn't you say?
                  • Nov 11, 2011
                    Helping others to make myself feel happy and having an optimistic view of a future relationship with the one that I've helped? That's building chemistry between two people. How is that manipulative?
                  • May 14, 2011
                    I think he means you are using peoples feelings to get to know a person. But as long as you don't use their feelings for your personal reasons, (to feel good that they are unhappy would be an example); Its not manipulative.
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • Jul 8, 2012
                      Yeah, I agree with Ghost, and I don't think that's what sajak meant. I think he meant more that since he's been there, or at least knows what it's like to feel depressed and that very few people care about you, that he can relate. Through being able to relate he knows how to make them feel better and hopefully show them that they are indeed special and are cared for. Perhaps I'm wrong too.
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • Nov 11, 2011
                        Thanks zenzr and ghost, that's exactly what I originally intended to say. It's experiences that I've had from going through the similar thought processes that makes it easier to understand what someone else is going through. It's an extremely shitty feeling and no one should have to carry that burden on their shoulders through life. I still go through them, they are just not as severe.
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • Sep 6, 2012
                          Well at first, I didn't really want to share what I wrote. I thought my paper sounds stupid. I was able to find the paper I wrote:silly: . Here are some of the things I didn't wanted to say: Phillip means "lover of horses"(yes thats my first name). "Do you like your name?" I told the class no because people always called me Dr. Phil. "If you had a son/daughter, what would you name him/her and why did you give him/her that name?". I wrote down that if I had a daughter, her name would be Ayumi because I had a friend name Ayumi and she is one of the closest friends I had met and for son, if I had one.. his name would be Nathan because I had a friend named Nathan and I see him like a brother to me. I remember one of the biggest reason why I wanted to suicide before..is because I am deaf. I was born deaf and people thought I was weird for wearing hearing aids. I got treated like an outcast. I didn't want to share this fact to people because I don't want them to think I'm a strange person. I remember back in kindergarden and middle school.. when people avoided me and thought I was dumb. My Sociology teacher said that he will give extra credit if you bring a "cultural artifact" or an item that best resembles you. Guess what I brought?..my hearings aids which I don't really wear anymore. I remember when I was in middle school, but didn't really know how I became deaf. I asked one the special education teachers and one of them told me that I was born with a high fever. When I was still inside my mom when I was a baby, my dad was smoking at that time and I guess.. the smokes somehow affected me. The moment when I heard that...I had a mix feelings of shock, anger, and depression. I hated my father..but how can I hate my dad when hes been taking care of me since the day I was born...and at the same time..how can I say "I love you" to my dad knowing after what he had done to me?.. I remember saying all these stuff outloud when I was presenting. I didn't really want to present my story at first...but then some of my classmates who went had some pretty touching stories. A friend of mine name Toa who went up shared that he lives with an alcoholic father who would beat up his wife whenever hes drunk and Toa said he always protect his mom. Then I remember one of my classmates, Sara.. who lost her parents when she was young and she had to live with her grandparents. I remember her saying that her grandparent were pretty old and eventually they will be gone and she may ending up living alone. If anything..I hate seeing pretty girls cry and I told her that I will look after her like a brother. There were more depressing stories but I don't have the time to write more. Hearing other people's background story sort of made me felt like it's ok to be nervous and cry when you go up and present your story. It motivated me to revise my paper to make it not sound stupid when I go up and talk about it. Mostly everyone including myself had a perfect score for the presentation and the paper. Saying "I'm doing this for my grade" is too much of an excuse. I'm sorry for typing that as I was not thinking straight when I was up so late at night :l
                          Danmaku, Feb 19, 2013 Last edited by Danmaku, Feb 19, 2013