Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

OnLive

Discussion in Gaming started by grindorf, Dec 29, 2010

1. Nov 25, 2010
    Have you guys tried out OnLive? To my understanding after playing over the weekend until today, you play off of a server that has the game installed and what you see is live feed at the same time you literally take control of the game. The quality isn't the best but at least you don't have to install gigs of game data on your PC. One thing though is that I tried running it on one of my fossil rigs with no video card and only 512mb of ram; it asked for the PC to at least have a version 2.0 pixel shader card. It's a magnificent deal for the people that have dreamed of having a gaming rig, but only really need a less-than decent gaming computer and a minimum of 3mb bandwidth internet!

As for the service itself, I think it's badass because you can play games on higher settings than what your machine can handle. It let's you demo the full game for 30 minutes with no Multiplayer enabled as many times as you want. You can rent a game from as many as 3 to 5 days or buy it and play it all you want!

You can acquire the OnLive service in 2 ways, obviously 1 is from your PC completely free and the other way is through buying the OnLive console that comes with one controller which is on Special this month for $99 and comes with one free game!

The PC version allows you to use a gamepad either way, but if you're going to use one stay away from the cheap ones and get something like a Logitech F310/F510/F710 with both Direct Input and Xinput support or an Xbox 260 Controller with Xinput support. I currently play using a Logitech F510 and it plays all of the games that support Gamepads like Splinter Cell or Shawn White with no trouble at all since the buttons are pre-programmed in case you decide to use your OnLive controller on the PC. I do not own the OnLive controller but I assume it uses the same drivers as the Xbox 360 controller just like I discovered when installing the Logitech F510 drivers.

I hope this is more than enough information to get you guys started, thanks for reading!

TL;DR: OnLive lets you play badass games like Splinter Cell and Assassins Creed without having to install them. You can demo all the games for 30 minutes as many times as you want. best part is that the service is free!

If you guys decide to try this out add me @ KingKannibal in the dashboard.

Edit: the word OnLive is now an external link to OnLive service page!

http://www.onlive.com
  2. Nov 29, 2010
    I heard of this, and it sounds way too good to be true, but I do wanna give it a shot
  3. Dec 7, 2010
    Sounds like a pretty interesting concept (if it works).

Just like how Netflix used to send out the majority of their movies via DVD/Blu-Ray, now the majority of their business is steaming movies.

BTW: I hope you meant 3Mb (3 Mega-Bits) and not 3MB (3 Mega Bytes). The lower case "b" in Mb is an industry standard indicating bits, while the upper case "B" means bytes.
    If it was 3MB, you will need at least a 24 Mega-bit connection to the Internet and I would be only a handful of people that can fulfill those requirements.
  4. Aug 18, 2006
    It is true. However, it's not perfect. You need a very good internet connection to stream the game, there is considerable input lag (since you are sending keystrokes to a server - there could be a ~100ms delay), you can't play the games at highest settings, and they can often be laggy. If you can live with those imperfections, it's a good service.
  5. Nov 25, 2010
    yeah sorry for saying high setting because at first I thought it was just the feed that made the games look like they had not so good textures but it really is the server default setting so it can run with considerable frames and ping!

but this service is great nonetheless! you guys should give it a go if anything!