Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Only one instance of the game can be running at one time.

Discussion in Counter-Strike: Source started by Jeezery, Apr 3, 2013

1. Feb 3, 2012
    When I try to launch CS:S an error pops up and says "Only one instance of the game can be running at one time." I tried restarting steam twice and it still says the same thing. :struggle:

EDIT: Restarted my computer. Works fine now. :razz:
    Jed, Apr 3, 2013 Last edited by Jeezery, Apr 3, 2013
  2. Jun 11, 2012
    Look in your task manager for hl2.exe and see if it's actively running. If it is, select it and press end task or press Delete on your keyboard. Then try running CS:S again.

Unfortunately I'm not on a windows machine right now so I can't show you but for hl2.exe in this tab.

[IMG]
  3. Oct 17, 2011
    Happens to me. I do the stupidest but easiest idea ever. The game is actually running but it's not opened so here's my idea.Open some steam files like friends, store, etc. Click log off. Cancel it before it logs off your computer. It will close the game. Run CSS.
  4. Apr 9, 2012
    Bender has it right, this sometimes just happens (you start css and it simply doesn't start, but hl2.exe keeps running for no apparant reason) so delete it and restart, you're fine :smile:
  5. Mar 30, 2013
    Sometimes, i have a strange problem, i click on CS:S, he say "Preparation de Counter Strike Source" (i'm french :wink: ) then the window close and normally CS:S must launch after that, but even after 2 minutes it doesn't launch, and when i re-click on CSS, it say "Only one instance of the game can be running at one time". So i open the Windows Task Manager, and i see that CS:S is even not launched !!! So i have the solution: Restart my Computer !!
    And normally after i haven't this problem, ... normally
  6. May 31, 2012
    This happens to me a lot lol; using Task Manager as Bender suggested has worked for me before but sometimes a simple Alt+Tab "suddenly" forces the missing window to appear and I can tab to it and play just fine... I save task manager for Plan B and restarting for Plan C.
  7. Apr 9, 2012
  8. Oct 20, 2012
    use the task manager and check if there is any game that is verifying the cache. (Steam always does that to me)