Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Opening a Door with Triggers/Filter

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Ajfonty, Feb 2, 2012

1. Jul 10, 2011

I'm working on a map that has players carry an item (in deagle form) to unlock a door. I've gotten the trigger, door, filter for the trigger, physbox (tied to the filter), moveliner (for the physbox) and the deagle itself, but the door won't open, even as I pick up the deagle and bring it to the trigger area.

Is this a viable option to use as a trigger? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Mar 12, 2008
    most times the object needs to touch the trigger. If it's on the floor, you need to drop it to get the trigger to work.

What you can do is extend the trigger to be higher so that the player won't need to drop anything, and can be on his way.

I don't know if this still works or not, but give it a try. make sure you got the inputs and outputs functioning correctly too.
  3. Dec 3, 2011
    [font="'Comic Sans MS"]Did you checked your flag options in the triggers? So its checked on 'physics objects' and not 'clients' or anything else..[/font]
  4. Jul 10, 2011
    I appreciate the responses. I just can't seem to get it to work though. Naturally, the door opens with the trigger needs the person to step into it, but when I configure it for the item it doesn't budge. I have a sprite over the phys block to make sure it's following me, and it seems to, but it won't activate the trigger. Could I be using the filter wrong? I have it set to "Allow" and the reference object is the phys block.

I wish it would work!
  5. Dec 3, 2011
    [font="'Comic Sans MS"]So if i understand you correct you want to build a door opening only possible with a deagle?[/font]
    [font="'Comic Sans MS"]If that is what u want then i can try to give it a shot myself and if works out ill pass it over to you, i have made simular things so i guess it wont be that hard.[/font]
  6. Jul 10, 2011
    Yep, that was my plan. It seems simple enough to me...just make a phys block that follows the player which should activate the trigger, but for some reason it hasn't been working out. Thanks in advance if you get the chance to try!
  7. Dec 3, 2011
    [font="'Comic Sans MS"]Ok ill give it a try myself, its much easyer then explain :razz: Hold on, wont take so long i guess![/font]
  8. Dec 3, 2011
    [font="'Comic Sans MS"]Ok so far i have it now its working but only when i trow the gun to the door, so i need to get a fix for that first, ill try some things out and let u know[/font]
  9. Dec 3, 2011
    Okay, i found a way with filter_activator_class, but i have to say, if a player drops the deagle and another persone grabs it then the first holder (who dropped it) can still also open the door since its done with classes.
    Here is the download: (click on free download - click here)

I hope this already helps you out, i go try to another way to since that is better recommended and to find out with physbox.

"Woeps, i could just edit my previous comment! My bad :shutmouth:"
  10. Jul 10, 2011
    Thanks for the help so far, I really appreciate it! I'm gonna download it now and see it
  11. Dec 3, 2011
    [font="'Comic Sans MS"]No problem, i like helping others in mapping, but so far i have it now working, it only works when i drop the gun on the door (with the physbox thing).[/font]
    [font="'Comic Sans MS"]Here is that file btw in case you are not so far yet: click here[/font]
    [font="'Comic Sans MS"]
    [/font]
    [font="'Comic Sans MS"]If you can fix it.. Its doing what you want only when you drop the gun on the door[/font]
  12. Jul 10, 2011
    Alright, I've been messing around with it a bit, and I've found a very weird phenomenon.

If the player is holding the deagle and steps into the trigger area, the door doesn't open. However, if the player looks up and shoots the physbox (which is hovering above him), the physbox momentarily disappears and the door opens.

How the heck is that happening? How can I make it work without shooting it? It's a very weird phenomenon!
  13. Mar 25, 2011
    I'm a little rusty (It's been months since I've even opened steam) but do you have it set so that the physbox has no collision with the world? That might be a problem. I say this because you'll notice if you fly around in noclip you won't be setting triggers. Just and idea, try setting it so it has world collision.

Concerning the phenomenon, I have a vague idea of what it might be, but it's hard to explain. It might, might, be due to settings you have on the physbox. First you want to check if it's set to be affected by weapons. if it is, check it's health and respawn settings. It could be that when you shoot the physbox it activates collision, or some other weird side affect. I physbox activates trigger and at the same time dies, then respawn soon after. it's a possibility.
  14. Dec 3, 2011
    [font="'Comic Sans MS"]Upload your file how u did it so i can check whats wrong with that one.[/font]
  15. Jul 10, 2011
    Here is an upload link. I copy and pasted the key into a smaller, simpler map so that the upload size would be smaller.

I colored the physbox an asphalt/dirt color so it'd be visible to you. When you're in the trigger area, turn upwards and shoot the dirt block, and the door will open (assuming it's not just a weird thing happening to me!)

http://uploading.com/files/6dbd7a58/doorandkey.rar/
  16. Mar 25, 2011
    Found the problem. When you shoot the block, it doesn't disappear, it gets free motion enabled. So basically what I said in my post before, except instead of it being killed, you shoot it away. just got to find a way to make it so that you don't need it to have free motion.

Just a question, does that little block serve any other purpose than to open up the door? Is it actually visible ingame or anything?
  17. Jul 10, 2011
    The block only serves to open the door. Normally it won't be visible, but I made it visible in order to make sure it was actually in trigger range to confirm the problem.

Is there a simple way to get free motion enabled?
  18. Mar 25, 2011
    I'm working on it, it will probably take a bit though. As far as I know, there is no simple way to do this.
  19. Mar 25, 2011
    I've tried every trick I have. I can't seem to find a way to trigger it without dropping the gun, you might be able to get help from more experienced mappers.
  20. Dec 3, 2011
    [font="'Comic Sans MS"]Thats my problem to, i cant seem to find a work around trick for him [/font]