Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Operating System update!

Discussion in Server Updates started by Kyle, Oct 23, 2012

1. Apr 9, 2007
    Alright, so its what I thought it was. When Valve implemented partial threading they don't wait for the thread to complete its work before joining back to the main thread. If I recall correctly from IRC. They send data off to the worker threads then call wait in the main thread (lol).

Tl;Dr I'll try to reproduce the same conditions under the old kernel. However, we may have to roll back if I can't get it right.

The problem with Turbo is the engine sleeps for Xms before checking if it should run. When ponging around with Turbo on, the engine does a pretty horrible benchmark at the start and uses that fixed sleep interval. I believe this will only lead to more crashes. If they used join I wouldn't be concerned, and we wouldn't have this problem...
    Post Merged, Oct 24, 2012
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTIxNDQ

Definitely rolling back ASAP.
  2. Nov 11, 2011
    Glad you got it figured out. ZM server had 52 people one but it went down to 24'is due to the constant lag. Some comments from the server:

[IMG]
  3. Apr 9, 2007
    Rolled back to 3.3.8. Hopefully this is better.
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Dec 30, 2006
      I think it is safe to say we can blame faplo. :pig:
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Apr 9, 2007
        Yes, the certificate is self signed. What's the problem?
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Jun 4, 2006
          clearly he's infected with tons of viruses now.

or maybe he's just visiting a site whose ssl cert is unverified/self-signed as you said and that's chromes generic warning of this and he doesn't need to worry about it unless its a site where he has to enter sensitive/personal info like a CC or similar as this should definitely be done through a verified cert and a secure/encrypted connection... hmmmmm
          • Funny Funny x 1
            Brian, Oct 24, 2012 Last edited by Brian, Oct 24, 2012
          • Apr 9, 2007
            Yes, the Gentoo bug tracker uses a self signed certificate... Any idea if the situation has improved from rolling back?
            • Informative Informative x 1
              Kyle, Oct 24, 2012 Last edited by Brian, Oct 24, 2012
            • Jun 4, 2006
              • Like Like x 1
              • May 25, 2012
              • Apr 9, 2007
                Cool! Thanks for letting us know. I'd give you a cookie, but, well, yeah.
              • May 14, 2011
                Haha I thought Brian replied but he was replying to the other part of the statement.

Well the effects are most certainly visible;

A very high and stable fps.

[IMG]
                I think this is even better than the pre-rollback pic.

Great work, w/e you did, I didn't understand half of what you were on about any way.:silly: