Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Operating system updated.

Discussion in News started by Kyle, Feb 20, 2013

1. Apr 9, 2007
    Done, updated our kernel to 3.6.11 and synced a bunch of new libraries up (one server won't blow up when we reboot it now :wink:). Thanks for your patience! The guesstimated downtime was 5 minutes per server.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Wizard! x 2
    • Friendly x 1
    • Useful x 1
      Kyle, Feb 20, 2013 Last edited by Kyle, Feb 20, 2013
    • Mar 26, 2012
      Forget udev; static /dev all the way!

I have to leave for work at 5 pm PST. If the server restarts, that should signal me to go. :grin:
    • Apr 9, 2007
      eudev needs to mature a bit more before we go to it.
      I may do this a bit early, then :wink:
    • Mar 26, 2012
      Nah, static /dev. I believe I created the device nodes in the init script `mknod', and then you wouldn't need udev for anything. It's called static mainly because the device nodes aren't created or destroyed as you need them (you could manually delete or create them whenever though), but usually are always there e.g. you don't hear any sound e.g. I'll always have /dev/sdb even though I have no external hard drive or flash drive plugged in where if I had udev, it would create /dev/sdb when I plug in my external hard drive or flash drive.

mknod /dev/sda  b 8 0
      mknod /dev/sda1 b 8 1
      mknod /dev/sda2 b 8 2
      mknod /dev/sda3 b 8 2
      /bin/mknod /dev/agpgart c 10 175
      /bin/mknod /dev/mem c 1 1
      /bin/mknod /dev/ptmx c 5 2
      /bin/mknod /dev/input/mice c 13 65
      /bin/mknod /dev/input/mouse0 c 13 32
      /bin/mknod /dev/input/event0 c 13 64
      /bin/mknod /dev/snd/controlCO c 116 0
      /bin/mknod /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c c 116 24
      /bin/mknod /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p c 116 16
      /bin/mknod /dev/snd/seq c 116 1
      /bin/mknod /dev/snd/ctimer c 116 33
      Rereading this, I realized you said systemd needs it. I have no idea what that is to be honest. I haven't actively kept up with the GNU/Linux community for like a year so I expect that is something new, distro specific, or just something I didn't learn while I used Archlinux.
    • May 31, 2012
      I'm already at work :crying: