Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Optimizer Needed

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by sajak, Mar 23, 2013

1. Nov 11, 2011
    So... I've never been great at optimizing maps and I blame @GRUDGE for that since he's been optimizing my maps since the beginning. Recently, he's been extremely busy and hasn't been able to work on the maps I sent him like two months ago.

So now I'm looking for someone who is willing to optimize a couple of medium sized ZM maps. I think there are a total of four at the moment.

You'll get credit in the map and some :heart: Thanks!
  2. Nov 6, 2011
    why dont you take the time to reflect on this post and learn how to optimize your own maps :razz:
  3. Feb 27, 2012
    It's nice and easier if you have someone who can do a very good job at it, that way there aren't too many problems, and so you're sure it is optimized correctly.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Nov 11, 2011
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Nov 11, 2011
      • Apr 9, 2012

--> The most common ways <--

* The main one would be using Hint and Skip, where skip faces are just being ignored by VVIS and hint cuts visleafes. This way you can way better optimize rendering visibility in your map than the default VVIS would, which usualy already does a big job in placing visleafs. This is not too easy and requires a good understanding of the visleaf system and rendering in general.

* (Expensive) Props can be faded out from certain distances whereas it wouldn't be notified anymore, thus wasting performance for no reason. Let's say you have a tree behind a corner, you can alter the MinFadeDist and the MaxFadeDist so that everytime you pass that corner, it will fade out. This way the tree doesn't get rendered anymore and the player doesn't notice it at all because it will pop-up back again when you cross the corner again. This is actually a very useful feature and is often ignored by many mapper. @Luffaren his Predator map has this, all trees fade out after a certain distance.

* Using lower Lightmaps on all of your textures. This improves performance and mapsize.

--> The less obvious ways <--

* Expensive models can, aside from Distance paramaters, contain LODS. LODS are used to lower the polycount of a model after certain distances. This sacrifices memory and filesize (not much though) for the gain of much better performance. Often distance parameters can be ignored when having LODS. The downside is that not all Valve models have LODS, and creating them is not easy (manually, there are a lot of program that do it by themselves such as 3DS Max). Another 'downside' is that you can effectivly notify the 'pop' between all of the LOD models. You can prevent this from making the LODS manually in such a way that it's barely noticeable, but not recommended because almost all players couldn't care less about it.

Very difficult to apply as well because most maps simply use valve models and spam them everywhere. Creating LODS for Valve models is also impossible because you would need to decompile it and then recompile it which is a tedious process. This is only very handy when you are creating models from start on.

* Replacing materials with the LOD system as well can greatly improve performance in cases where you are using refraction. This is complicated to explain and is only used effectivly whilst replacing refracted materials.

* Use func_lod (not recommended as well, sucks up entities)

* Use Mipmaps. Obsolete unless you are creating all your materials with the 'Generate Mipmaps' unflagged in VTFEdit.

* Lowering all the materials their resolution to 512x512 max. Not recommended because mapsize is really not a big problem anymore, even 400mb+ maps are fine. Also it would mean to resize and lose quality, recompile to vtf etc...
        • Like Like x 1
        • Nov 11, 2011
          I'm aware of the uses of hint/skip and have a good understanding of the leaf system, occluders, lods, etc. I usually don't create mipmaps for my textures since I want people to see good textures from far away (won't be the case for my ZE project). My lightmaps are set at the default 16 and I don't mess with it unless I really need to. I also have used fading for my props as well as use areaportal and areaportalwindows. I just don't have the patience to actually optimize my maps lol. I need a partner. :wink:
        • Jul 8, 2012
          If I had any knowledge of mapping I would offer to help. :frown:
          Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
        • Nov 6, 2011
          yea well why do that when you can learn to do it properly yourself
        • Nov 11, 2011
          Ronnie shut the fuck up. We need an optimizer, not a spiritual life lesson or some Rocky Balboa training session tips.
        • Ronjon
          This message by Ronjon has been removed from public view. Deleted by Dharkk, Mar 24, 2013, Reason: really.
          Mar 24, 2013
        • Jul 28, 2011
          Sorry @sajak, I don't even have source sdk installed right now so that I am not tempted to waste precious hours on it :smile:

But I have confidence in you. YOU GOT THIS MAN! or at least I'm confident that someone else out there is capable of this and will step up to the plate

On a bit of a tangent, an inspirational Rocky Balboa-style optimization montage video packed with spiritual life lessons and Hammer wisdom isn't a terrible idea.
          • Mapping King Mapping King x 2
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Nov 11, 2011
            Meh, I'm just leaving them unreleased at the moment. I don't have the patience to optimize. So I'm sitting on about 5 new ZM maps, 1 new ZE map, and 1 new MG map. I don't want to release the ZE and MG ones but the ZM ones are a go. Damn it homeslice, you promised you'd do them during Spring break.. and it's almost summer. :reallypissed:
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Oct 17, 2011
              Sigh, I don't know shit about optimizing. I don't think it's really important for sm maps anyways. Just make areaportals in mostly closed rooms and func_details for everything outside except large walls and floors. As for cuts, hints and skips, use this tut.
              via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31hZH-RCwGM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

One more thing dirtaut aught me is to use the vis groups, remove everything but the skybox and the brushes with no entities. If you don't want to func_detail them, use hints and skips to optimize the walls from the vis groups. This makes it simpler. It also helps if you are missing any func_details.
            • Jan 14, 2013
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Mar 30, 2013
                If you really haven't found someone to do it by now, I'll take up your offer. Could take awhile though.
              • May 14, 2011
                You don't need to optimize mg, unless its REALLY complex. But most mg maps aren't complex.
                • Informative Informative x 1