Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

original .rmf or .map files

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by SoVeReIgN1, Sep 2, 2011

1. Jun 8, 2011
    Hey i wanted to make some new lila maps for the unlimited ammo zombiemod server. i cant seem to find a good decompiler. I want the maps to look like the other maps on the server just NEW is all. Does any1 have the original files before they were compiled into .bsp ???
  2. Jun 8, 2011
  3. Jun 22, 2011
    Be careful decompiling maps, its OK to decompile to see how it was done but its NOT ok to steal someone elses work.
  4. May 15, 2011
  5. Aug 20, 2011
    Isnt DirtBag So Sweet To People? Lol :wub:
  6. Aug 19, 2011
    Figured out or not this is an actual answer to part of the OP:

BSPsrc is as good a decompiler as youll get. Theres no perfect decompiler, but this is the best. The only issues i know with it is that it may not properly decompile maps that were compile dusing a custom fgd, and that some tools textures become nodraws (such as tools/ladder)
  7. May 15, 2011
    VMEX/Shameless VMEX does the same thing with the hints, ladders and area portals not decompiling properly.

I don't think we'll ever have a fully 100% proper decompiler.

But since you are just doing Panic, your only real problem is the horrible optimization that comes with the map.

I guess the map is so small that doesn't matter though.

Although that can make for some messy editing?

So if you want, I re-created Panic using the grid and keeping it all clean and pretty, just tell me if you need it or not and I'll upload it.
  8. Apr 14, 2011
    vmex and other decompilers works 100% of the time and decompiles every thing neat.

the problem comes when mappers such as me and others place locks/errors in the maps to stop people stealing stuff. theres alot of ways to do it hes 5 of them

http://www.gamebanana.com/tuts/10371
  9. May 15, 2011

:razz:

Actually I really don't see the point to doing that locky locky crap.

We find ways to break your locks anyways.

It's kind of like building a house out of sticks to keep a big bad wolf out...

Also it's not hard to fix the errors from decompilation, it just takes some time.

On the other hand, it does keep out the people who just make a few changes to the map and call it their own, so they wouldn't go through all the trouble then, instead of trying to learn from it.
  10. Apr 14, 2011
    it wont stop them stealing your map it will never stop people decomiling it but it will make it as hard as it can be for them.

i dont mind people asking me for the hammer save as long as them tell me what there going to do with it.
  11. Mar 25, 2011
    I actually rely on people not locking their maps if i want to something for reference, but i would never steal.

Nothing is more aggravating then finding a locked map that you are either trying to learn a lesson from or fix. But i understand where you are coming from Ace.

In fact, if it wasn't for Hannibal (Rafuron) leaving his maps unlocked, I probably wouldn't know how to make special weapons, or even dynamic lights. Those mother fucking dynamic lights.
  12. May 15, 2011
    Yes, I only find the locky becoming a problem when the mapper is no longer available.

Their were a few maps I had to edit for the servers, but they were locked.

I tried finding the original mapper to ask, but they retired.

Shameless VMEX FTW.

Otherwise, I have no problem with it personally, it just becomes obnoxious under certain circumstances.

Like Captain Clicky, I wouldn't steal a map either.

I still don't understand what people expect to gain from theft?
  13. Apr 14, 2011
    lazyness, they want that trap / thing in there map and they no it will take a really long time to do it. so they steal it and just change the textures and so on. what i find funny is i know when my stuffs been took because the names of the enitys are all my nick names i use for them.

its not normaly to steal a whole map and say they made it. its just parts of it. i am fan of helping new mappers and understand they need to learn how to do this. but when i come up with new ideas and stuff i dont really want to tell every one how i did it so on. i think theres so many forum rooms videos and text posts on how to map now that you dont really need to decompile.

i started to lock maps to stop people nicking my textures but it cant be stoped so i dont cba now.