Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Over 250k USD destroyed in EVE Online, battle still going on

Discussion in Gaming started by Vitaminpwn, Jan 28, 2014

1. Feb 11, 2007
    So for those of you who don't know, ships in EVE online are worth actual money, and since this massive war has started between 2 groups (has been going on for a number of hours now and is still continuing), figures suggest that over 250,000$ has been lost so far based on the number of ships lost and their in-game values. Some people even suggest it's closer to 800k but that seems too high. If you wish to watch just search Nulli vs RUS or PL vs CFC or something along those lines (I wasn't sure if you're allowed to post twitch channels here).

How it happened: One corporation called Nulli owned an entire sector, forgot to pay rent on one space station, and a nearby group RUS attacked and took it over. Nulli's ally was stationed there with ships and so it started a massive war because each side has allies. Anyways just wanted to post this, it looks really boring to watch but the money aspect was interesting to me.
  2. Apr 9, 2012
    You mean, those ships are worth actual money, so like many USD, and if it's being destroyed in-game, you lose that money? I'm not sure where the world of gaming is going at certain times, but the people that support this type of game are either unaware of what they're playing with or they are rich-parent kiddies that have no sense of realism at all.

How can you possibly spend so much money in something that is virtual and worthless...?
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Aug 1, 2011
      The ships aren't directly worth cash. You can buy game time cards using real money, and trade those time cards for ISK(the in game currency) which essentially gives ISK a USD value. CCP has an entire system built around that to help squash gold farmers.

The markets in EVE are player controlled too, so the prices of things fluctuate based on supply and demand. One week a time card or a ship might be worth 150 million isk, and the next week it might only be worth 78 million. It follows the same principal as real world stock markets and currency exchanges.
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • May 31, 2012
        Just read about this on an unReliable source (yahoo!) and thought it was interesting. I know a lot of people may look away and say "it's only a game" which is true, but people ARE willing to spend money on games so it does have value... for example, I use to play RuneScape and I remember people use to pay ~ $1000 USD to buy a partyhat (real world trade is against their rules but people still do it). One of the most famous "wealthy" players actually sold off his in game values to PAY FOR COLLEGE (Duke Freedom)!

Even if they were inflating the values of these digital items compared to real world value... lets say they complained it to be 99% higher than it actually is... so only 1%... 1% of 250k or 500k is still 2.5k and 5k respectively. This is still a shit ton of money.

Impressive.
      • Jun 11, 2012
        • Like Like x 1
        • Zing! Zing! x 1
        • Jul 1, 2010
          That shit is so cash. Makes me want to start playing the game but I'm waiting for ESO to come out.

• Feb 21, 2007
          is each one of those dots a small fighter ship? or just particles from exploding ships?
        • Jun 11, 2012
          Small dots are actual player ships. If you zoom in-game you can see the ships.
        • Jul 1, 2010
          Also shows you just how crazy big the capitol ships are (the huge ones)
        • May 31, 2012
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Aug 12, 2012
            $250,000!! imagine how many chicken nuggets I could get! :cool:
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • May 31, 2012
            • Aug 1, 2011
              LoL that pic makes me sad. When I used to play EVE, I remember how big of an event and the secrecy behind the first Titan. They barely ever took it out of their territory and it was basically indestructible since the mechanics at the time for titans were considerably different than the way they are now.

That pic alone shows like a dozen of them >.> . Also remember when the first Titan got destroyed in the battles between BoB/MC vs Goonswarm/northern alliances. The biggest battle I've personally was in was during the last days of D2. We were sided with MC/BoB, our fleet had 90 ships, theirs (D2/Goonswarm) had 180 + a titan, safe to say it didn't end well for our fleet. Luckily for us internal conflicts destroyed D2, someone stole their titan, and our most powerful enemy was gone.

If anyone is interested in seeing the scale of the ships, this link leads to a ship chart. Warning though, its a very large image.
            • Nov 29, 2010
              I'm hearing reports of ~300-600 now. not too far off considering ~80 titans were destroyed
            • Feb 21, 2007
              i bet this would be fun to watch, all those ships!
            • Jul 8, 2012

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
            • Aug 7, 2012
              Holy shit, that's amazing! I tried playing EVE but couldn't get through the tutorial lol