Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Overclocking general

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Mr. Mango, Mar 7, 2014

1. Dec 2, 2013
    Just thought I'd start up an overclocking thread for those interested.

Overclocked my way to #23 in the world for SiSoft Sandra 2014:

Nothing too fancy yet though, might try phase change cooling in a month or so for the CPU. Currently using the same Noctua DH-14 I had on my 3770k before.

Also, newest 3DMark score: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/2601033 . 96th percentile using the latest AMD beta drivers.
    CPU should be 4.4GHz turbo clocked and ram @ 933MHz in that, program isn't always correct with catching speeds.

Don't really care about benchmarks that much, but I do use this machine for software dev, gaming, and media encoding/transcoding, and it does feel even snappier than the 3770k I had before (which is also ivy bridge and ran the same speed at 4.4GHz). Although I have also changed from Win 7 to Win 8.1 (since Win 7 support runs out later this year), and despite how much I disliked Win 8, this new one is pretty ok.

Zombie Escape with full teams and complex maps still dip on occasion, especially with a ton of props flying and people on the screen at once. One could get optimal results overclocking with an i5 or perhaps a Kaveri AMD and a mid-range card imo. Just need to clock a core or two as high as possible to avoid slowdown while leaving the other cores for system processes.

Finally, I just want to commend ASUS on a really nice motherboard. The ASUS X79 Deluxe was able to give me not only fast and stable speeds, but also kept the power usage down for the most part. Was using an EVGA X79 Classified at first and that motherboard was such a nightmare, I returned it after a few days.

P.S.: Found a lot of good advice from here for overclocking: http://www.overclock.net/
  2. Mar 26, 2009
    Uh, no?

Windows 7 has mainstream support until 2015 and extended support until 2020.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dec 8, 2013
      I think Mr Mango is referring to Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. Sucks man, you went to Win 8.1 for nothing!
    • Jul 8, 2012
      I like my 8.1. No issues so far with my new PC.
    • Mar 26, 2009
      34 days left until EOL XP.
    • Dec 2, 2013
      Sorry to cause any confusion, I looked at the table here again. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle, and see that mainstream support for win 7 ends in January of next year.

In any case, I wanted to give Windows 8.1 another try, having tried out Win 8 for half a year when it came out and giving up because of driver issues for certain hardware that I use.

Windows 8.1 gave me a headache with my first motherboard for X79 (EVGA X79 Classified, terrible issues in general, even after lots of updating and tweaking), but with my ASUS X79 Deluxe mobo everything ran smoothly from the start. Still on Windows 7 at work and I have a host of other Microsoft OSes on my virtual machines, but I have to say Windows 8.1 seems to be shaping up as a decent version for both development and entertainment.

As an aside, keeping a close eye on Steam OS as I'm also a fan of Linux. Hope that works out as a cost-effective platform.