Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

CS:S Party System

Discussion in Server Updates started by Kyle, Jun 28, 2013

1. Apr 9, 2007
    Thanks to @Detonator for his thread and contributing ideas/code, we now have a party system (I believe in other FPS games they might be closer to Squads). A party is a group of people intending on working together. What a party allows for is for you to "Fly" (teleport) to your fellow group members before zombie's have a chance of turning on the map (using sm_pfly). There's also a party chat (sm_pchat, or Team Chat Key, $ Message) that you may use as well. As a reminder, all chats/actions are logged, so try to remain civil should you use this feature.

There's no protection against people joining random groups. All of your team members should have a common interest, staying alive. If you leak your party name to another user that you don't want in there, they're welcome to join your party and there's nothing you can do about it. Should this happen, you can create a new party (or join a new one) using the sm_party command. You may list current members in your party using the sm_plist command, if you're super paranoid.

You may automatically teleport to a per-round randomized leader for your group using the toggle sm_ptele. You may also leave a party at anytime using sm_pleave (or sm_party "").

Summary:
    sm_party - Create a party, or join an existing party.
    sm_pleave - Leave your current party.
    sm_plist - View current members of your party.

sm_pfly - Fly to a fellow party-mate before zombies have a chance to spawn.
    sm_ptele - Automatically fly to a fellow party-mate at round start (after buytime expires).

At the moment these commands are restricted to Donor+ only as we aren't aware of the impact that it could have on the server. We do intend on opening this up if all goes well. As far as I'm aware there's no public plugin that has this sort of thing, so maybe there's a reason for that. Thanks!

(This is only on ZM for the time being, as well.)
    • Like x 10
    • Wizard! x 7
    • Good Idea x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Zing! x 1
    • Feb 8, 2013
      Proud to say I tested it with Deto! Thanks Deto for putting hard work into it. Thanks Kyle for putting it up!
      • Like Like x 1
      • Dec 27, 2012
        Gonna thank Detonator for this idea and you Kyle for making it come true.
        Awesome.:victory:
      • May 31, 2012
        I can't wait to try it out when I get home :grin:
      • Aug 1, 2011
        Nice. Should make things interesting, lol.
      • Feb 8, 2013
        I have one concern. From two examples, the first - Firewall. If one person just runs up to the roof, then a CT spots him, then he'll take the easy way to just fly over to him? The tower in Firewall also, if a bookcase is already blocking the path, then a CT just gets pass the bookcase, not even having to climb the tower at all maybe, and get to the top? This will definitely increase backstabbing with a bunch of humans, then rounds will end way earlier. Also in 4way tunnel, people will just port to the person they're close with - friends and whoever in party. This defeats half the purpose of that map.
      • Apr 9, 2007
        You're making it sound like you can sprint across the map in 15 seconds or whenever pfly dynamically expires... The other examples don't really make sense. On 4way, everyone spawns in the same location, which makes the plugin not so helpful for that map. However, on a map like Little City, where you have CTs at the home, and T's at the tower, it's rather useful to sync up with a buddy.

What's the problem exactly? The bar is lowered for people who can't jump?
      • Feb 8, 2013
        You can definitely get some places within the 30 seconds.
      • Apr 9, 2007
        Right? Your example on Firewall requires them to be in the same party, in which case they'll be together from the beginning, which makes it complete non-sense(?). You obviously can't fly to a random player if you're in a different, or no party.

Are you sure you've reviewed what this is?
      • Feb 8, 2013
        Unless you're telling me if you join the party and it'll automatically spawn you on the same team as your friend, then what I said is non-sense. If the CT spawns next to the tower, T spawns downstairs (Firewall), then the CT happens to get it all sealed up in whichever spot, the T just types and teleports right to the top?
      • Jun 11, 2012
        This sounds amazing and fun to use. Reminds me of the Factions system in JCMP. Thanks Kyle
      • Apr 9, 2007
        CT Spawns next to the tower, T spawns downstairs. They plan on meeting up somewhere, so they both enable sm_ptele. They spawn downstairs, shit! Some clown has barricaded the stairs and starts crying when people shoot it out. @Ronjon starts shooting at it and goes upstairs with @Random Guy, the end.

@Ronjon and @Random Guy are wanting to meet up, they're both on different teams. Ronjon is a T so he spawns downstairs, @Random Guy is a CT so he spawns on the main floor. Ronjon tries to get upstairs, and walks there because it's a 5 second walk from spawn... no problem. But in this scenario, let's pretend Ronjon gets lost for 20 seconds. The timer expires, Ronjon can't teleport because he was a fool and didn't go instantly, so he's stuck downstairs, forever wandering. But again, let's pretend that Ronjon gets lost for only 7 seconds, then tries to go upstairs and some speed hacker has barricaded the stairs. This is tragic! Ronjon is stuck and he can't get to Random Guy! Ronjon, being the clever guy that he is, types sm_pfly Random Guy, and teleports to Random Guy who, also speed hacking, has a full barricade setup. I wish we all had this coordination, but they're speedhacking, so it's cool.

Please read the thread @Orange. You clearly have not. I don't know what you tested with Detonator, but this is most likely different. You're only wasting my time and yours by being ignorant.
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Winner Winner x 1
        • Feb 8, 2013
          So after all that's said, is it still making it a "easy way out" for Ronjon to get to Random Guy in your example? If it is, hopefully you get my point is I am not for the easy way out. If I'm still wrong, I'll just take everything back.
        • Jan 21, 2011
          What do you mean easy way out? If a player wants to join another player in his party all he has to do is type sm_pfly goober and he'll get teleported to goober.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
        • Apr 9, 2007
          1. You're wasting the readers time by not explaining how this is a problem.
          2. You've failed to read the first post after the number of requests from myself, and others after you made wild assumptions ingame.
          3. Your execution is rather poor.
          The easy way out is for both of them to enable sm_ptele and be done with it. The dumb way out is fly every round manually. Is there an actual problem here? or are you burning time? I have no problem answering questions, but I certainly expect you to read the documentation that I provided above. Otherwise, you will get a response like this, and continue to get a response like this time and time again.
          • Agree Agree x 2
          • Nov 11, 2011
            Great addition, Kyle. This will surely help with teamwork and coordination in ZM. :thumbsup:
          • Feb 8, 2013
            The challenging point is to have yourself 40 or so seconds to find a safe spot (whether it's a build cade or a held up hallway). If you suddenly have this teleportation system to get to your friends, that takes away the challenge to have 40 or so seconds to hide or build your cade. You can just say "Oh, I think this is a OP spot and my friend already has built the cade, so why not just sm_pfly to my friend(in the party)." < while wondering around clueless, trapped outside, not being able to find a spot. I'm not against this, but I'm trying to think of all the possibilities that will alter the gameplay. You never know, maybe in a week or a month, or whatever, someone will find a exploit to it even though this is a beta still. I'm just here to find those possibilities, spot them before others do, then maybe you guys can try to fix it. And plus, you don't let the all donators and admins join same party like we are now?
            Post Merged, Jun 28, 2013
            I've read the document 5 times. I found nothing of any sort in your words that explains this situation. The OP only clarifies how to use the command and what not.
          • Apr 24, 2012
            Such a great idea :thumbsup: thanks for putting in the hard work!
          • Apr 9, 2007
            I didn't document a cap because it doesn't exist. The entire server can be in a single party, who cares. Also, where did you get this from? Can I have access to your private documentation? Is someone lying to you? Did you make this up?

Well, actually, if you guys can hit 4.3 million unique groups in a map I'll be impressed, but short of that, nice try...
            Right? Do you guys need scenarios for everything? Maybe I explained what this is, and how it works poorly by not giving complicated, contrived, bogus examples.
            • Winner Winner x 1
            • Nov 11, 2011
              Let him experiment around with it more and he'll have an epiphany. Short of that, you're wasting your time.
              • Informative Informative x 1