Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

PC Crashing

Discussion in Technical Support started by Silas, Dec 31, 2013

1. Jan 28, 2012

Any technical nerds about I'm all eyes :wink:.

Ever since this morning my computer has been playing up. I installed Outlast, loaded the game and experienced a black screen crash. Rebooted and everything was fine. Tried the game again and it crashed again, this time with lines (Picture will be posted below) Booted again and decided to download driver updates and also installed Windows Updates. During that process it crashed again. I had also tried to use system restore points, but for some odd reason I didn't seem to have any available that backdated any longer than 1-2 days. I tried that and it still crashed.

This has been happening all day since that Outlast crash. Loaded Twitch/Youtube a few times and it crashes within minutes. Loaded another game and it crashed again, all requiring reboots. The PC so far has been fine on the desktop and watching a TV show through the VLC Media Player. It seems to be crashing predominantly on games, Twitch and Youtube, browsing so far has been fine.

I have asked one or two people on Steam friends and they are not sure what the issue could be. So, I thought I would ask here.

Help would be much appreciated.

Specs

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
    CPU: Intel Core I7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz Ivy Bridge
    RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Z77X-UP4
    Video Card: 3072MB AMD Radeon 7970

Attached Files:

2. Mar 14, 2013
    sounds to me your pc likes to crash as soon as some kind of network connection is established. My suggesstion is to roll back your pcs wifi driver, install driver again

if that doesnt work update that driver to the latest version

I had something like this happen to me once (except the line issue did not occur) my old mans desky kept rebooting because of it's wifi adapter, had to update it and somehow i managed to run web browsing and online gaming again

make sure u have 1 other pc/laptop ready as anything can happen!
    [IMG]

also if you are able to find a log of the crash in question find it, usually when things like this happens to me i search in win 7s search thing ( view event log) this will give u a summary of administrative events in that window. the 3 catagories u wanna look at ar e critical, error, warning take snapshots of what u find

look especiialy for any thing that says or has anything to do with crash, freeze, reboot
  3. Aug 1, 2011
    Have you tried unintalling and reinstalling the graphics drivers? Also info from the event logs of your computer would be useful.
  4. Mar 30, 2012
    What an ACTUAL fuck are you talking about.
    Like, for real. Stop posting in these threads. Just, please.
    I'm starting to lose hope in humanity.

I would suggest you install some kind of software to watch CPU / GPU temperatures closely, and CLEAN install graphics drivers.
    This means that you remove all traces of the old drivers, and re-download the driver setup.

A guide for completely removing AMD graphic drivers can be found here:
    http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...ompletely-uninstall-amd-graphics-drivers.aspx
  5. Jan 28, 2012
    I had tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers earlier today and the problem persists.

The PC crashed again and wouldn't turn back on so my mother's partner took a look, and it seems to be the graphics card. The onboard graphics seem to be working fine, nowhere near as good as the card I have mind due :/. Was tested on another monitor in the same machine and wouldn't load on that one either. He's going to give it another test in his machine later tonight to make sure. I ordered the card in February 2012 at a premium in the UK with the tax included so I can see myself having loads of problems trying to return.

Thanks for the software tips, not sure it's software related now.
  6. Feb 27, 2012
    It looks like your GPU might be dying. Same thing happened with my GTX 280.

Run this Burn-In test with your dying GPU.
    http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
    If it goes to that black/white screen or any frozen screen (for me it was green and purple dotted squares) then it's probably just about fried.
  7. Aug 1, 2011
    Looking around online, the general consensus that I found for what you described was that it's the video card it's self that's crapping out.

Could try moving it from one port to another on you're mobo, but doubt that will do anything but it's worth a shot. Could also try putting the card in another computer and see if you get the same symptoms. Just some easy fault finding ways to determine with greater certainty that it's the card and not something else before you go out and spend money.

Also, what type of PSU do you have?
  8. Mar 14, 2013
    :weep:

in the past my old mans desktop kept crasing giving me a blue screen and giving me error codes which pointed to the wifi adapter as being hte cause of the crash.
    Whenver i tried to open a webrowser (along with any other online application like steam etc) the entire desktop would crash in seconds

But i forgot this person mentioned -lines- appearing on the screen which meant it was a graphic error of some sort and now he found out its teh gpu

That sux ur gpus reall good too

rest in peace gpu :pray: