Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

PC unexpected lag all of a sudden in games

Discussion in Technical Support started by Super Mario, May 11, 2017

1. Oct 17, 2011
    So, i built this PC at Microcenter a year and a half ago and man it was such a kick ass 2000 dollar gaming PC. All of the games i've downloaded including Call of Duty, the Division, Ark and other types of games were running smooth and over 50 fps. However, this issue came up to me all of a sudden where games are now running under 10 fps on a GTX 970 16 Gb Ram PC. It all started like 3 months ago.
    I tried resolving the PC by recovering it and starting it fresh again, but it's still not working.
    I took it back to Micro center and somehow the games worked properly over there on their network, so i brought it back home and it was lagging again.
    The day after, i give it to them to run a diagnostic on it and they figured everything was working properly and it could be the firewall on the PC.
    I tried both turning on and off the firewall and unistalled the antivirus (Kaspersky) and still no effect and games are still running very slow. Left 4 dead is running on 8 fps max.

So in conclusion the issue is not with the PC, firewall nor the anti virus blocking me from plaing them nor the updates. The Lan Cable was also tested with a technician and there is no isue with it. Could it be the network? I'm using fios Verizon and i also have a PS4 and we have no problem with the network happening on that system. Please help me, this is very rare and got no more ideas on how to resolve this. The only game that's running without fps problem is CSS (200 fps) which is weird.
  2. Jul 14, 2010
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Maybe check your temperatures? Could be an overheating cpu or gpu. Internet shouldn't affect your fps that badly. Is your computer dusty? Maybe needs a cleaning. Could be something else though.
  3. Oct 17, 2011
    The computer is super clean on the inside and I downloaded the program. Here are the settings attached to a file. The lag is only happening at my house

Attached Files:

4. Jul 14, 2010
    I'm guessing you have a router then? Try resetting it, or your modem. Can you log into it and try turning off the firewall. Example is in the url bar I type 192.168.2.1 but yours may be different.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
  5. Oct 17, 2011
    Yea i'm using a router. I just restarted it i don't know if that's the same as resetting. Do you mean logging into firewall from control panel? i already did that and i turned them off and still no effect. I really appreciate you helping me right now by the way @PeNguiN
  6. Apr 26, 2015
    Are you using wifi or are you hardwired to it? After the re-starting your router try to hardwire if you can and see if you notice improvements in you're on wifi.
  7. Oct 17, 2011
    i don't have wifi adapter on the pc lol i've been using a hardwire since i bought it. This shouldn't be the issue. I join a game on full fps. however, as soon as i join an online server, the second when i'm on the fps drops below 10. It's only happening whenever i connect to an online server (excluding CSS) @Kyro
  8. Jul 14, 2010
    What kind of router do you have? Or do you have a modem that has wireless capability? Google the brand name and it should tell you how to log into the router and look at the settings.
    Example: If you had a belkin, you go up to the url bar at the top of chrome or firefox, and type 192.168.2.1 then you get to the router login page which should be on the bottom of the router for default username and password like admin and password. Then you can look and see if the firewall is on and try turning it off to see if that's causing the issue, or if you need a firmware update, or maybe you just need a new router/modem replacement if a restart and firewall disable and reset do not work. Sometimes things just glitch out, but I've never really seen this issue before. Maybe google can help you more.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Jun 17, 2014
      I'm not convinced a Router/Modem problem would cause massive FPS drop.
      I think GPU drivers would be a good place to start; Try downloading and updating the driver for your exact card from the manufactures website here.
      If that doesn't work, Make sure your CPU isn't throttling itself.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1