Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

PeNguiN's OG PC Rig

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by PeNguiN, Nov 4, 2015

1. Jul 14, 2010
    I decided to impulse buy a brand new desktop gaming pc what with all the new games coming out and due to other events. I was playing at 1440x900 p on a Radeon HD 6870, phenom 965 be, and 8 gb of ram so this is a huge upgrade for me. I also am moving up to 1920x1080p and 144 hz (no care for any larger resolutions yet).

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/V48g6h
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/V48g6h/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock H170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card ($333.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($20.98 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($272.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1206.88

Qualified for free premier shipping (college student) so that is nice. I probably could have saved a few more dollars here and there and went for an overclock build, but I never really gained anything from overclocking the past couple years. and was too lazy to buy from multiple websites.

I am most excited for the monitor since it supports 144 hz refresh rate and I am a firm believer that human eyes are not capped to a refresh rate. The r9 390 was my choice over the gtx 970 since it has a little more of what I want (8 gb vram for modding games, better dx12 support in the future, and cheaper > performance.) It will run hotter, but shouldn't be an issue in a cold climate like Maine. The processor I am super interested in because it will be my first Intel. I didn't care to get an aftermarket cooler since I never really found OVC to be rewarding, so I'm hoping it just runs like a beast for the next 5 years. The ram, mobo, optical drive are kind of random and cheap. The SSD, and PSU were what I thought the best brands for budget. As for the case, I didn't care to get anything flashy, so I went with something large and known for being quiet. I will try my best with cable management and am hoping the dust filters are solid because I live in a house of pets.

I went all out on this guy and don't intend to buy another PC ever again unless some how technology continues to dramatically improve and hopefully i can just upgrade and never need to do a scratch build again. As long as it all works out, I won't financially regret this.. :hammer: on wood..

I may share a picture of this build once it arrives and is all put together so, wish me luck, and the wait is gonna be a brute!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Zing! Zing! x 1
    • Mar 8, 2011
      nice nice man, i built my current gaming rig myself. has some nice specs in it but nothing too nice. built it for what i intended to use it for. yeah man shoot us some pics!

also may i make some recommendations, you are selling yourself short on the cpu and mobo and also the gpu. get a 1150 socket board and go with the I5-4670k or I5-4690k or if you want an I7 go with the I7-4790k. as for mobo i recommend the Asrock H97 or Z97 series or even the MSI versions they run about 70-120 depending on what you want with the package. just get a crossfire set up with R9 280xs. as for the ram your doing ok but if your mobo can hold more then max it out. you can get 16gb of G.skill ram for under 100 dollars.

just some advice

here is a setup i did just to show you what i would recommend http://pcpartpicker.com/p/p6Mb3C this is not too far off from mine, different ram, different mobo and the I7 i mentioned but more or less the same. I also picked the psu in a slight hurry, havnt used that model
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
        stugmann, Nov 11, 2015 Last edited by stugmann, Nov 11, 2015
      • Jul 14, 2010
        I'll be building this tomorrow hopefully!
      • Mar 8, 2011
        i edited the post a bit, i am assuming you got the parts already?
      • Dec 30, 2006
        Not really selling himself short. 1150 is the last socket that uses DDR3, aka devils canyon CPUs that you listed. Peng opted in getting the newest platform, skylake, and jumping into the next bandwagon with DDR4. So technically he has the newest and greatest efficiency wise.

Edit: Peng is required to post pics. The end.
        • Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Jul 14, 2010
          Took me a bit to build it due to lots of fatigue, but I'm installing windows now. First try success! Will post pictures soon
        • Aug 7, 2012
          I've always kicked myself because I didn't buy 2 of the same monitor. I love a 2-monitor setup but I never was able to get the same model each time I wanted to upgrade. Also, good luck with the 600W PS. I picked up an 850 just to be safe but I'm still getting some random power fluctuations.
        • Jan 21, 2011

I've got 3 monitors that are all different. 24", 25" and 27". I don't mind it.
        • Aug 7, 2012
          Everything else looks great, it's just that power supply that I'm worried about.
        • Jul 14, 2010
          My computer is running the MSI r9 390 perfectly right now with the 600W psu. The skylake cpu uses less TDP and doesn't overclock and I don't plan on overclocking my GPU must at all either, so I have 0 worries.