Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Petition to have ze_surf_facility removed

Discussion in CS:S Zombie Escape started by Never Enough, Mar 31, 2012

1. Feb 14, 2012
    I would like to ask that this map be removed from the ze server based on the fact that it hardly fits the definition of a zombie escape map. There is no hold points minus the ending door. No interaction with the zombies at all except at the end. It is a dreadfully boring map. I would even be ok with Dust Escape replacing this map.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Feb 11, 2012
      I would play it rather than many other maps..each map can not please everyone
    • Mar 30, 2012
      I know BZ and other admins will be mad, but honestly I agree. This is hardly a zombie escape map. It's just a surf map in which you try to keep ahead of the zombies. There's no objective and the only skill involved is surfing, a zombie who can't surf is just useless, as is a human who can't surf. Other maps have objectives, hold spots, and simple running from the zombies.

Sorry but I came to this server to play Zombie Escape; Running and gunning, holding choke points and completing objectives. I did not come to this map to surf, if I wanted to surf I would go to a surf server.

It's like putting on a zombie escape map that focuses around bhopping, that's not what people come to this server to do.
      • Agree Agree x 4
      • Jan 14, 2012

The thing I like about this map is that it's something new and different, because lets be honest. Most maps are quite similar besides the graphics. I don't really get your argument about the interaction with zombies. There are several stages, with a lot of interaction with the zombies. You really have to work together as a team to win. You can compare it to Voodoo Island maybe.

I also like the way @Motanum has built up the difficulty of the surfing. There's a clear tutorial on the first stage for the newbies, making it a nice introduction to surfing. Surfing is also a nice skill that can be quite useful on other maps like the pipes on Mako (learning how to move in the air).
        • Agree Agree x 9
        • Mar 30, 2012
          Yes it is different than every other ZE map we have, yes there is a tutorial that sort of helps. Helped me learn the basics of surf, but the problem is the skill curve we have in the server. Honestly myself, and about 80-90% of the other players I've played with on this map are constantly surfing a few ramps, falling down, starting over while players like Blue and BZ who know how to surf just zip away. Eventually the players who know how to surf get to the end while everyone else gets teleported to the cage, zombified, and then fails the same surf point over and over again.

I know I'll have to re-download fraps to show what's actually happening on this map, but pretty much it's just like every other surf map on counterstrike. You stay on whatever spot you're stuck on until the other players advance the map, then you get stuck on a new part until the other players win or lose the map.

I don't see it being very user friendly to anyone who isn't good at surfing, unlike all other zombie maps where anyone can pick up a gun and help the team.

Surf facility has two, to three hold points. (Two I've seen and one that I've only heard about) So there really isn't any team work. The only teamwork is if you manage to surf well enough to make it to the hold point, you hold, if not, you zombify. There's no going back to support people who fall behind, no saviour nades slowing the zombies so you can get away and no back peddling to keep the zombies at bay as you run for your life.

All in all I don't think there's much team work involved and that it really isn't a zombie escape map, but I'm not even a donator so I realize my word is next to worthless.
        • Jul 19, 2011
          Everyone's word is insightful. It is just whether this community agrees or disagrees. Donators don't have anymore power than the players of the community.
          • Agree Agree x 2
          • Nov 29, 2010
            The map's a nice change of pace from the other maps. Personally I prefer a breath of fresh air from the typical mako, minas, helms, and predator maps I see 80% of the time I log into the server.
            • Agree Agree x 3
            • Feb 14, 2012
              Thank you for your well thought out opinion in the matter.
              • Funny Funny x 2
              • Apr 4, 2009
                I haven't played the map and BZ isn't an admin, ill make sure it gets played and have people join and give opinions sometime today.
              • Jan 14, 2012
                I'm still a fan of this map, but I have to say that the end becomes very hard to hold if there are 30+ zombies versus 15 humans. However, when people will actually be able to get to the holding areas BEFORE the zombies do, it's a different story.

tl;dr just as with any other map (Paranoid anyone?), learn how to play it and start loving it :smile:
              • Dec 6, 2011
                We NEED these maps that are a change of pace from regular ZE maps. That's why I always encourage mappers to think outside the box (what I've been helping zombiefurbie with right now =P). Those who don't like the map are mostly those who can't surf. I don't see why we should remove it, because I was always asked why we don't have surf facility on ZE.
              • May 15, 2011
                I agree and although the map is 'thinking outside the box', it's incredibly lame. I went to ZE just to play this map to check it out, and it really wasn't fun at all. The surfing was unoriginal. The hold points were unoriginal. It felt so artificial and just meh all around. Not that I agree it should be removed. If a better Surf ZE is made then sure, but right now it's the only one of its kind.
              • Mar 19, 2012
              • Apr 2, 2011
                If it is the best ze_surf map out there... I don't see why to get rid of it... it sounds like a nice change of pace (I myself have not played it yet). so yea... for what it is worth... I say keep the map, and should a better one come around... yea...
              • Feb 21, 2007
                When I made a vote on the server after testing this map, it received about a 80% approval from the players. It seemed while testing, most players were enjoying it and very few were complaining. I was completely against adding a surf map prior to testing this map, however it seemed that most ppl at the time of testing, were able to do the surf part. The rounds were not one sided (RE: only humans or only zombies winning every round). I felt the hold points were sufficient enough to allow several engagements of humans vs zombies. This is why i added it.

EDIT: I dont add new maps on a whim, I test each on individually and try my best to see if it would do well on PF. I spend a great deal of time on this, and don't take it lightly.
                • Like Like x 1
                • Winner Winner x 1
                • Zing! Zing! x 1
                • Feb 14, 2012
                  It was never my intention with this to call into question the work you do for this server. As always your efforts are appreciated.
                • Mar 12, 2008
                  I vote to keep it. It is fun, and guess what? There was no mention of "Edge warriors" "Materia Spam" or anything of the sort. Guess how many rounds we played without someone typing rtv? See spoiler.
                  vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
                • Jul 1, 2010
                  Played it a bit ago and enjoyed myself.. people were having fun and the map also didn't get even close to being RTV'ed. I say keep it.
                • Nov 6, 2011
                  i for one actually enjoyed the map and dont want to have it removed its fun if u know what your doing