Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

PF's policy on mic chat

Discussion in Counter-Strike: Source started by Benvolio, Apr 25, 2012

1. Mar 4, 2012
    I realize there has been threads on this topic before but I feel as if it needs to be brought up again.

I do not see the point in limiting mic chat to ONLY discussion regarding the game.
    The reason why I play on this server on a consistent basis is because of the community.

Many of you that play on the Zombie Escape server are familiar with Epyon and the discussions that occur due to this presence on the server are one of the reasons why I and others that I know of quite thoroughly enjoy. He recently came on today after a long absence and once again the normal discussions came up (politics). The conversation was not at all affecting any sort of teamwork that was needed for the map (Grand Boat) nor was anyone complaining about too much mic chatter, which in and of itself was limited. The admin proceeded to mute him anyway.

Now I'm not crying abuse here, the admin was doing his job, my point is that the policy is decaying the quality of the community. Admins should not have to mute people for simply talking.

I would like to see the rule changed and I am sure a lot of people would agree with me. I can understand the need to limit such chat during a map like Predator or Mako but at some point some common sense needs to be used and chat be allowed on a map such as Grand Boat (and the majority of maps on PF, IMO).
  2. Jul 20, 2010
    Problem is that it carried on for a while, its fine for a bit but when it carries on and on it falls under mic spam. Then you have all the other people talking also about it and the group as a whole it becomes mic spam. If you want to carry those conversations on for that long you can do it through steam or an other VOIP program. Most of us don't want/need to hear it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Feb 1, 2011
      Well, this is very well written and I suppose you have a point. The way I look at it though is this:

It may be fun / entertaining to strike a 15+ minute conversation, and I'm sure the people involved enjoy conversing. However, there are usually 50+ other people on the server at any given time who don't give a shit about whatever irrelevant topic is being discussed, so to them its just as annoying as mic spam. Personally I think it's a bit selfish to subject an entire server of people to a prolonged non-game-related conversation.
    • Feb 14, 2012
      Well since I was the admin that muted him I figure I should weight in here. Discussion about non related game topics is fine in moderation. What epyon and others were doing was going on for 10 + minutes on the topic of politics. The in game chat is not the place for drawn out topics like this. We have a mumble server for this purpose. Feel free to make a room and debate to your hearts content. I issues 2 warnings regarding this and then muted epyon to get everyone's attention.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Aug 1, 2011
        It is understandable to hold a conversation about something for a few minutes. But when you have 10-15+ people talking about something, it gets VERY taxing on admins, and people in a whole. I have seen people complain about others talking about stuff and I have to agree. Some people just don't know when to shut up about something and they constantly talk. I do not have a problem with people talking, but when they keep on talking and talking, it gets really old, really fast. I do not want to see this rule changed at all. That's my vote on it. If you wanna talk about something, do it somewhere else, not in the game where people are trying to concentrate.
      • Dec 6, 2011
        As long as the conversation stays under control, it's perfectly fine. Although Epyon is a very intelligent person, and his conversations are very entertaining to listen to, a lot of them get ruined and go out of control because others just spam the mic in retaliation to his arguments. They also tend to end up being extremely long and annoying to others who aren't caring about irrelevant topics. We usually try to keep everybody on topic due to these reasons.
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Jun 4, 2006
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Mar 4, 2012
            I could argue the same thing in regards to people playing on Predator and giving out commands. I know what to do already, sometimes their commands become both repetitive and annoying, yet I don't complain about it.

Fair enough but they can just as easily mute those that are talking or at least voice their opinion on the matter. No one said anything about our conversation unless they were adding to it, including people that did not have microphones.

Like I said I do not hold you in the wrong. You were following the server rules; if anything you were being a good admin. And sure its fine that PF has a mumble server but that limits the scope of those that can join in on the discussion. Before I regularly started playing on this server I had it in my favorites simply because it was zombie escape. When I became friends with people and participated in conversations (such as the one we were having) is when I made this my go-to server. Of course this is my personal experience but my point is that by forcing players to chat on a mumble server we are excluding newer players from getting to know the older ones.

I understand where you're coming from and I agree with you on the more difficult maps, but on Grand Boat? We're not playing CAL matches here.

Yes I understand but some discretion on the part of admins should be allowed. The server wasn't full, not many people were actually talking on the mic and no one was complaining about it.
          • Mar 16, 2012
            i see some people get muted talking about things not related to the game mostly in the zombie mod server and to me its not fair i meant it wasn't mic spam...no. To be honest i see regular people get muted faster then raging 7 year olds/people with voice changers
            • Agree Agree x 3
            • Jun 17, 2011
              We don't allow voice changers seeing as it gets really annoying and we don't discriminate against kids. Most of them will tend to mic spam which will lead to warn > kick > ban procedures.
            • Apr 12, 2012
              Benvolio, personally, I play because I enjoy the game. If I want to socialize, I will go hang out with or call a friend. If I want to play a game with a friend, I will jump in a ventrilo (like mumble) server so we can have a private conversation to both avoid annoying people and to avoid having random idiots listen to what we're talking about and comment on it.

Also, I mute people constantly... like several times a map. Or at least, I try to.. steam is crap and only actually mutes about 50-75% of the people I try to mute. These are people talking about non-game related things, and they are almost exclusively ignorant and/or immature conversations. I honestly wouldn't mind listening to someone like Epyon (from the sound of this thread, anyway), but he's 1 in 100, and the other 99 make me wonder how they figured out how to work a computer at all.
              • Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Mar 4, 2012
                Well you and everyone else. I'm not saying I'm getting my needs (or anyone else is) for human interaction off of a video game. I don't really see a problem with people jumping on board and participating in conversation and I'm sorry that you find that so many people on PF annoy you to the point where you mute them. On the other end of the spectrum I was annoyed myself that epyon was muted since I hadn't talked to him in a few months.

I guess I just do not fully understand PF's stance on this. Every "fun"/non-regular maps server I've played on regularly has condoned and encouraged discussion of just about anything on their servers. It adds to the atmosphere and community. Even when I first started playing here there was not, at least when I was playing, a problem with people chatting on the mic. Admins did not complain, players did not complain and quite frankly that is what drew me in. All of a sudden it seems as if admins have jumped on top of the matter and have consistently been muting people for chatting about non-game related topics. I don't really see why all of a sudden this is a problem.
              • Oct 27, 2010
                There is no problem with having a little chat on the mic in game. Please do; we encourage it.

The issue here is a matter of scale and duration. The incident in which Epyon was muted was not a short conversation: it was a bunch of people talking loudly about their political standpoints simultaneously. This is mic spam.

If people want to have these kinds of conversations they are encouraged to take advantage of our Mumble server; everyone is pleasant in mumble and welcome conversation.
              • Apr 12, 2012
                Ben, I wasn't trying to say you were getting your social needs from cs:s, but I'm sure some of those spammers are :smile: I don't mind when someone has a 10 second or 20 second convo about non-game related stuff, if they do it between holding points (on one of the flying boats in flying world, for example) or when the round is all but finished or just starting. I only mute people if the conversation continues or if theyre talking during a hold point where other people are trying to use the mic for teamwork. However, my comment about 99% of the conversations being ignorant/immature still stands... at least when the conversation is about any real world topic - politics, economy, girls, sports, etc.
              • Jan 3, 2012
                I Like When Epyon Starts A Conversation On Ze, i learn lots of things i never knew..

( Epyon214 is running for state rep in Florida)
              • Apr 14, 2011
                Dang... I cant talk to Marshall and gladius in game about my fruit flavored condoms ^^
                I agree but sometimes when u have alot of people in on the conversation it is no longer annoying but a fun topic... "thats when everyone or 85%+ of the server is having fun with the topic 'like my fruit flavored condoms topic ^^' lol"
              • Mar 16, 2012
              • Jul 20, 2010
                Simple if people are talking about things that don't have to do with the game for long periods at a time it falls under mic spam. Don't see why people are causing a fess over it. There's a reason why we advert our mumble server in the servers so people can use that. I doubt you'd like hearing all of us in-game discussing non-game stuff for long periods of time while playing? For a while it's fine then it becomes mic spam as people are now hogging the mic and using it as their own soap box to say the least. It's not like you get muted right off the bat we let it go for a bit then when it crosses the line is when we step in, by warning the server first.
              • Apr 14, 2011
                I dont have a mic, well i do but its pos, so I cant talk